News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

The Dressmaker 

Apperantly everyone hated it. I liked it. I wasn't expecting that. Try it. Probbaly not traditionally boys' choice but it is full of surprises.

By the way, I love Judy Davis.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

marom1963

OMNIA DEPENDET ...

caseagainstfaith

I don't post here too much these days.  Sometimes drop by for a movie review. I see Shiranu and AllPurposeAtheist hit Ubermensch!  Holy crap!

So, today was opening day for the 13th Star Trek movie.  And the 13th time I've seen on opening day.  I was in high school in '79 when TMP opened.  I of course know that lots of people don't like the Abramsverse of Trek.  I admit to being easy to please, but I enjoy them.  And I certainly really enjoyed this one.  Possible small spoiler but you may have already heard... [spoiler]the Enterprise is destroyed, for the third time in ST movie history...  They payed homage to Ambassador Spock/Lenard Nimoy[/spoiler]

I thought the uniforms they used in the first two were absolutely brilliant, being very reminiscent of the TV T-shirt uniforms, yet looking quite classy.  So I can't fathom why on earth or space they had to change them... 

In the first trailer for Beyond, the song Sabotage by The Beastie Boys was used and a lot of people frowned on that.  How it was used in the movie was utterly moronic.

But, did I overall enjoy the movie. Yeah, I did.  I enjoyed it a lot.  Even if, sure, there was stuff to complain about.

I'm sure everybody knows it has a new director. But, it has similar action heavy tone as the predecessors.  But, they tried to add a bit more classic character moments compared to last time.  Some nice "shout-outs" to old fans.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Hijiri Byakuren

I will probably not be seeing Star Trek Beyond. Into Darkness was the first (and so far only) movie I ever watched where I left the theater feeling angry. The trailers made it look good, the first act seemed like it was building up to something great... and then it shit the bed. It takes a special kind of stupid to perform that particular fuck-up. And now with Beyond, they changed the director even though Abrams' directing was one of the few good things about Into Darkness! I just have no faith in this studio to make a good Star Trek film, and I'm not giving them anymore of my money to see the sequel to that train-wreck of a film.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

SGOS

The new Star Trek movies have higher production values, but don't seem to be as engaging as the earlier stuff (remember the 1st TV series, often filmed in a large indoor sandbox against a flat background representing an alien sky).  I will go to Beyond today, but it's more like I'm going because, well, it's Star Trek, and it's a tradition.  There were no special effects back then, so everything depended on the story telling, which seems lacking today, or maybe I'm getting too old.

stromboli

My problem with Star Trek is the narrative is inconsistent with past examples. I expect the new people with new ideas and a different set of parameters don't care about continuing the old narrative and blow off what to me are key details from the original series.

The other part is having served aboard a ship, their presentation of an intergalactic vessel doesn't ring true to me. The idea of building a vessel capable of interstellar flight with that much waste space and opulence to me is silly. The detail issues bug me bad enough I don't enjoy the movies.

stromboli

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 12, 2016, 03:39:00 PM
The Dressmaker 

Apperantly everyone hated it. I liked it. I wasn't expecting that. Try it. Probbaly not traditionally boys' choice but it is full of surprises.

By the way, I love Judy Davis.

Judy Davis is one of those actresses that can morph into many different forms. She can dress and project a certain way and be a man convincingly or a very feminine woman. Anther one similar to her is Tilda Swinton. She can be a very feminine woman or a very masculine man with her acting skills. That to me is a real example of the craft.

aitm

I watched the batman v superman movie last night….whateveritscalled…..it was entertainment…..not as good as 4 reruns of Big Bang..but entertaining none the less. Watched Start Trek tonight on the big screen. I liked it. But I like ST anyway. I don't get as involved in movies as many here, I simply go and watch and escape for a couple hours. I liked it.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Sal1981

Independence Day, the sequel. 3/10

What a pile of shit that was.

Hydra009

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 21, 2016, 11:53:12 PM
I will probably not be seeing Star Trek Beyond. Into Darkness was the first (and so far only) movie I ever watched where I left the theater feeling angry. The trailers made it look good, the first act seemed like it was building up to something great... and then it shit the bed. It takes a special kind of stupid to perform that particular fuck-up.
Wow.  That bad?

The trailer didn't exactly give me a good first impression and I'm on record not particularly liking J.J. Abrams-era Star Trek (he seemed far more at home with Star Wars than Star Trek).  But I hoped that it would at least be passable to most Trekkies.  It has a decent metacritic rating with both critics and fans.  Without giving too much away, how'd it lose your vote of confidence?

stromboli

JJ Abrams fucked up Lost. One of the reasons I don't watch much TV these days.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 23, 2016, 09:48:51 PM
Wow.  That bad?

The trailer didn't exactly give me a good first impression and I'm on record not particularly liking J.J. Abrams-era Star Trek (he seemed far more at home with Star Wars than Star Trek).  But I hoped that it would at least be passable to most Trekkies.  It has a decent metacritic rating with both critics and fans.  Without giving too much away, how'd it lose your vote of confidence?
This is something I posted the very same night I saw it in theaters. Now granted, I was a rambling sleep-deprived maniac by then and couldn't remember the name of the USS Vengeance, but I still stand by much of what I wrote. I fucking hated that movie.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

SGOS

The Race (or was it just "Race") 9/10  I think this one is a sleeper.  I can't remember it playing at the local theaters.  I got it from Redbox.

I didn't know much about the 1936 Summer Olympics.  All I knew was the Jesse Owens won a bunch of gold medals, and broke all the standing records for the events he entered, much to the chagrin of Hitler and his belief in Arian superiority, so I don't know how accurate the story was, but it was fun, uplifting, and had an appropriate amount of sap, although not too gooey.  I felt a lot of good emotions.  Of course the story examined the early days of the Hitler Government and the Nazis at the start of their infamous shit.  Considering the time period, discrimination issues both in Germany and the US, and a black athlete of stunning ability, I'm surprised this story hadn't been made into more films.  The backdrop in which the story plays out, has the elements that lend a film some great potential.

Hydra009

I just saw Dark Knight Rises.  *insert slowpoke meme*

It was weird in that nothing much happened the first half of the movie but the second half was great.  The first half was just character introductions and Bruce Wayne as a recluse who doesn't want to be Batman anymore.  That's it.  Seriously, the first half of the movie had no plot.  I'm looking at a plot synopsis and like 90% of it is stuff that happened in the second half of the movie.  If I had seen this one in theaters, I probably would have walked out and missed all the great action towards the end.

I liked Bane, especially his no-nonsense villainy and his commanding presence.  But his voice sounded a bit off.  He sounded like a carnival barker, which is an odd voice to have for his muscular build and fearsome reputation.  And between him and ashtray-gargling Batman, I had to rely heavily on subtitles to comprehend much of the dialogue.

Catwoman was good, but they really played down the cat motif.  I dunno if I like that or not.  I liked her not-quite-evil-not-quite-good character, though.

I LOVED the Bane takeover of Gotham.  The pseudopopulism.  The prison takeover.  The stadium scene.  The mock trials.  The literal class warfare.  I loved every minute of that.

The plot made sense for the most part, but some parts were puzzling.  The surprisingly spacious sewers.  Hacking the stock exchange on a tablet's wifi while on a high-speed pursuit.  Possible, but not exactly the fastest or most reliable link in the world.  And apparently, the trades that were made during a hostage situation were allowed to stand because Bruce Wayne is bankrupt the next day.  The prison *coughCrematoriaRipoffcough* is just a really deep pit, completely unguarded but with a rope outside that anyone could just throw in to free everyone inside?  And what are they chanting?  "Deshi deshi, barra barra!" was about all I could make out.  I didn't get why the army adamantly believed that the whole city would blow if anyone tries to cross the bridge.  All they had to go on was Bane's group's say-so.  It'd be like not pulling into Manbij because ISIS says that there are IEDs everywhere and the air is poisonous to infidels.  No one's that gullible.  Also, there's no way in hell Gordon would've survived the nuke truck's massive crash.  I'm sorry, but Gordon would've been a gooey paste in the back with no seat belt and a ton of metal bouncing around with him.  And then there's the cafe ending.  I wonder how many cafes Bruce went to before he got to the one with Alfred.

I wanted to love this movie, but it was good.  Not amazing, but good.  4/10 first half + 8/10 second half = 7/10 overall.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 10, 2016, 03:48:45 AM
I just saw Dark Knight Rises.  *insert slowpoke meme*

the first half of the movie had no plot.  I'm looking at a plot synopsis and like 90% of it is stuff that happened in the second half of the movie.  If I had seen this one in theaters, I probably would have walked out and missed all the great action towards the end.

The Dark Knight has one of the longest dull voids I've ever suffered through in a movie.  Sometimes there is important background that needs to be introduced so that the story makes sense, but in the DKR rises, there was no part of the backstory complicated enough to require it.  It was more like Nolen was trying to force suspense by making the audience wait for Batman to appear like they used to do in the old monster movies.  And unlike you, I did walk out of the theater somewhere in the middle.  Some of that was from prolonged boredom, but in a large part because....

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 10, 2016, 03:48:45 AM
And between him [Bane] and ashtray-gargling Batman, I had to rely heavily on subtitles to comprehend much of the dialogue.

Excessively loud background music is one of Christopher Nolen's characteristic devices, and he won't lower the volume when people speak.  I could not hear what I assumed were critical parts of the dialog, not even enough to garner a general understanding from context.  So in addition to boredom, I was angry and frustrated.  I left the theater, and after so much anticipation (Batman was always my favorite superhero character), I was actually angry at Christopher Nolen.

When the DVD came out, I bought it because my home theater has better acoustics, and subtitles, and I wanted to see what I missed during the part I actually sat through.  Also, for reasons I can't support, I wanted to complete my Batman movie collection. 

Actually, when I finally saw the last half, I wasn't that impressed.  The good stuff was the stuff that wasn't even about Batman, and when he finally appeared, he didn't do any Batman stuff.  He just dukes it out in a prolonged fistfight until Bane can't get up.  Putting on your Batman Costume to go to a fistfight makes no sense to me at all.  Dungarees and a T shirt would suffice.   I loved the first Batman in the reboot, and the second was pretty good too.  But eventually all I will remember about it was that there was a third movie to the series.