News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Tomorrow Land  3/10

Nothing of great importance happens here.  If there is a point, I missed it.

SGOS

Cake  7/10

Jennifer Aniston plays a new type of character here, a woman suffering from chronic pain, who has become a bitchy cynic.  She manages not to even look like herself.  It's a character study, which may not appeal to most movie goers.  In fact, I don't recall this in the theater.  It may have gone straight to DVD.  In spite of the depressing subject matter, good old Jennifer delivers some funny lines with her usual aplomb, although she does it dryly so as not to ruin the cynical mood of the plot.

Savior2006

Quote from: SGOS on May 23, 2015, 10:40:55 AM
Tomorrow Land  3/10

Nothing of great importance happens here.  If there is a point, I missed it.

Got fairly mediocre reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, so it went from being a must see from me to a "eventually dad may get it on Blu Ray for his theater room and I guess I'll watch it then."
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

the_antithesis

KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park

KISS is embarrassed by this movie. I don't think anything else need be said, really. If KISS finds something shameful, it must be pretty fucking bad.

And it is pretty fucking bad. Bad in ways that are hard to explain.

First of all, the script reads less like a finished work than a rough draft. No, scratch that. It's not a rough draft. It's a rough idea. Nothing in this movie is thought all the way through.

Who are KISS? What are they? Where did they get their super powers? How do they work? What do those magic talismans have to do with anything? Did they lose their powers when the bad guy stole them? What are their super powers, since we're on the subject. What are the bad guy's motivations? What is he trying to do? Does he make life-like looking robots or does he turn people into robots? What for? What the hell just happened? Why did that happen? and many other questions like these will absolutely NOT be answered in this movie. And fuck you for asking.

It's kind of a shame because the story itself is a piss-simple Scooby Doo plot that you'd think the Hanna-Barbera company could do a show like this in their sleep.

Oh yeah, this was produced by Hanna-Barbera. Peter Kris is even dubbed by Michael Bell, Zan from the Wonder Twins.

Basically an inventor of all the animatronics is fired from an amusement park and he decides to take revenge and KISS, a rock band that also happens to be super heroes, has to stop him. That's not a bad story. It's just executed so fucking poorly.

Gene Simmons probably comes off the worst in all this of the four. For starters, his costume at that stage was fucking ridiculous. When the mad scientist makes a Gene Simmons robot and it runs amok, (hint: it's just Simmons running amok) he looks so awkward. The boots are impossible to walk in and he hunches his back because he wanted to scare people into thinking he had degenerative bone disease. He also had a stupid reverb on his voice, which I am positive was his own stupid idea to make the demon more demonic. It's just dumb, though. He also wears a high collared dracula cape in some scenes. Redundant with those wing thingies under his arms. This is all weird since Simmons is the only one of the four to have an acting career after all this. He was great in Runaway.

KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park was never going to be a good movie, but it turned out to be much worse than it should have been. I'm not sure who to blame for it except the rushed production that left the script in a half-begun state while they were shooting. I saw it a week ago and I'm already forgetting it, which is better than some that I was forgetting as I was watching them.

AllPurposeAtheist

Oh c'mon..nobody watched The Livingston Gardener? Geeez folks..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 23, 2015, 10:34:07 PM
Oh c'mon..nobody watched The Livingston Gardener? Geeez folks..
I haven't heard of it.  Is it an old movie?  I remember Peter Sellers in the Gardener, which was pretty good.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: SGOS on May 24, 2015, 04:56:08 AM
I haven't heard of it.  Is it an old movie?  I remember Peter Sellers in the Gardener, which was pretty good.
No, in fact it was released just a few weeks ago. http://www.thelivingstongardener.com/
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 24, 2015, 08:09:55 AM
No, in fact it was released just a few weeks ago. http://www.thelivingstongardener.com/

Ha, I would have bet this had something to do with your recent interest in gardening.  Actually, it might be a good movie, but I haven't seen it at the theaters yet.

Shiranu

Half way through "John Wick", really enjoying it so far. The cinematography is great.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

eylul

I have watched Land Ho! because the movie was taken in Ireland. We could see the nature and human how fit in the movie. It didnt make me borred.
6/10

SGOS

Taken 3  7/10

This got a 9% from critics on Rotten Tomatoes and 47% from users.  I liked the first film a lot, didn't care for the second, and this one goes somewhere in between the two.  But 9% from critics.  Wow!  That's bad.

Savior2006

Saw the original Dune movie two days ago and Blade Runner after that.

With Dune, the acting was atrocious in many ways. But I do like some of the concepts. The sonic weapon that you have to speak into to use. Paul Atreides gaining more and more powers and abilities. He's going to be treated like a messiah, and the good and bad that will come of that. I'm eager to start reading the books.

But the acting was atrocious. Sometimes the crew apparently couldn't be bothered to have special effects: a gun fires with sound but no muzzle fire and the guy it hits doesn't receive a wound. He falls over like Jasper the Douchebag Ghost just socked him one. At one point, Jean-Luc Picard, allied with House Atreides, goes into battle with a gun in one hand and a pug. Seriously there's pugs all over the place, as if Dean Koontz had a cousin who went into film making.

It's a fun movie though and generally cool at times, and you are able to ride with it. Then Paul's sister, uses her Mind Control Voice and she sounds like a 40 year old chain-smoker trying to talk after giving head to a dragon. So yeah...that happened.

5 out of 10.

Blade Runner was good, but I certainly didn't like it as much as dad did. It's noir more than it is sci-fi, to me at least. The romance between Ford and the female lead wasn't convincing and seemed to be there because "well that's what happens in noirs." I can't help but feel that the replicants deserved MUCH more characterization than the Blade Runner hunting them. Shoot, even the briefly touched upon romance between Mr. Howling with Wolves and Ms. "I've disarmed you, but I'm going to run to the end of the hall and cartwheel toward you like a retard" seemed more convincing.

6 out of 10. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I should have.
--ApostateLois

--St Giordano

Atheon

Mad Max: Fury Road: 9/10

Action packed from the get go, and it never stops, save for a few brief moments. I'm so glad this is a sequel, not a remake or a reboot, further fleshing out the insane post-apocalyptic world in which Max lives. But Charlize Theron steals the show... she is absolutely fantastic, and a more central character than even Max. This one actually has some character development. And it's beautifully shot, with stunning vistas and well-planned camera angles. The Mad Max series has the all-time best car chase scenes ever filmed, and this one outdoes the others.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Shiranu

John Wick: 9.5/10. Second favourite movie of the year, just after Mad Max. It knows what type of action movie it is and didn't try to over-do it or be pretentious. Just an overall solid revenge flick.

@Saviour: It's weird, I like noir and sci-fi, like Ford... but Blade Runner just didn't impress me. I haven't finished it yet, but the first... however long, I just didn't enjoy it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Savior2006

Saw San Andreas, starring the Rock.

I do like the gorgeous and nightmarish destruction. What I don't like is the pointless goddamned love triangle between the star, the ex-wife, and the ex-wife's new boyfriend. Who is rich and turns out to be a jerk. Seriously, this crap gets old.

8 out of 10.
--ApostateLois

--St Giordano