News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atheon

"wingnuts" is pretty common slang phrase for right-wing nutcases. Like Teabaggers, Glenn Beck types, Pat Robertson types.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Atheon

Quote from: SGOS on May 16, 2015, 09:41:08 AM
Hmmm.  I hadn't heard that claim, but yeah, now that I think about it, I suppose there is some of that.  There are liberated older women who aren't afraid to blow a guy's head off if he has it coming.  There are some young maiden types that provide mostly window dressing, but they occasionally have to kick some guy's ass when it's necessary, although they don't resent having a man come to their rescue as long as he's hunky enough.  But none of this seems out of the ordinary.  That part is pretty much a reflection of reality as I see it.
So, in other words, some of the characters are strong women.

Like in many major movies for many many decades.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

SGOS

Quote from: Atheon on May 16, 2015, 10:00:01 AM
So, in other words, some of the characters are strong women.

Like in many major movies for many many decades.

Yep, pretty much.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Atheon on May 16, 2015, 09:56:12 AM
"wingnuts" is pretty common slang phrase for right-wing nutcases. Like Teabaggers, Glenn Beck types, Pat Robertson types.
Thanks--once again time passes me by. :)  I'll have to stop using that with my ex-Air Force guys. :))
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on May 16, 2015, 09:41:08 AM
...but they occasionally have to kick some guy's ass when it's necessary, although they don't resent having a man come to their rescue as long as he's hunky enough.  But none of this seems out of the ordinary.  That part is pretty much a reflection of reality as I see it.

Like men letting hot women get away practically with anything? :lol:
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

It's considered bad policy to point out to a hot woman when she's doing something stupid or harmful.  I think it's a genetic thing.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on May 16, 2015, 11:02:26 AM
It's considered bad policy to point out to a hot woman when she's doing something stupid or harmful.  I think it's a genetic thing.

It's considered a bad policy to kick a hunky guy's ass when he is trying to rescue you. Esp. if you don't need it. It's a genetic thing. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Sal1981

Ex Machina - 6/10

A bit overrated "cottage in the woods" drama where they replace the prisoner with a shallow A.I. character. I really can't get why Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 91% while a visionary masterpiece like Transcendence gets 19%. Meh.

stromboli

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 17, 2015, 05:49:22 PM
Ex Machina - 6/10

A bit overrated "cottage in the woods" drama where they replace the prisoner with a shallow A.I. character. I really can't get why Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 91% while a visionary masterpiece like Transcendence gets 19%. Meh.

Which falls in line with my opinion of movie critics in general. One step below celebrity chefs and one step above fashion critics.

AllPurposeAtheist

The Livingston Gardener.. 8/10 Great for a low budget flick.
Interesting take on a serial killer and the interview inside prison.  You'll think it's full of violence, but the violence is all implied and the killer turns beliefs in gods on its head to point the finger back at society and turns the smug reporter for good or bad. You decide.
I'm really interested in the take some of you will have..
Their fb https://m.facebook.com/TheLivingstonGardener?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FTheLivingstonGardener#!/TheLivingstonGardener/photos/a.851442238214941.1073741827.851432651549233/945294342163063/?type=1&source=44
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Shiranu

Mad Max - 9.9/10. Nothing really wrong with it, it's just hard to give a pure action movie a 10/10... even though, for what it is, it gets a perfect score.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Mad Max 4:Fury Road.  Typical romcom.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Notthesun

Mad Max: FR

Absolutely loved it.

Grade: A
Poster formerly known as Sky;Walker.

His life rushes onward in such torrential rhythm that only angels and devils can catch the tempo of it.

Savior2006

Quote from: Shiranu on May 22, 2015, 12:16:43 PM
Mad Max - 9.9/10. Nothing really wrong with it, it's just hard to give a pure action movie a 10/10... even though, for what it is, it gets a perfect score.

I saw Fury Road and loved it.

10/10
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Jutter

Mad Max Fury Road: Two thumbs up and a fuck yeah!

Rest assured the movie 100% delivers what the trailer promises. The hype is justified. Hollywood needs to take notes from this film, because this is how you make an actionflick with strong visual storytelling. Tom Hardy gets upstaged by Theron... but Max was never the typical protagonist type to begin with (just someone who ends up in the protagonist's camp). And that works out great here. Furiosa is right up there with Ellen Ripley and Sarah Connor.
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.