The concept of ALL religions IS the cause of racism. OP/ED........

Started by Brian37, June 21, 2015, 11:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian37

I think one thing completely ignored by humans in acts like that of Roof, is the claim that it had nothing to do with religion. When you look at what Roof soaked up online that lead him to this horrible act, one would be stupid to claim that the KKK was not founded as a religious organization. Racism is a direct result of religion, regardless of any empathy liberals of faith or atheists want to claim can be separated. Religion itself, regardless of label, in our species history sets up tribalism. It is why white Tea Party Baptists, and black southern Baptists, can share the same label, but be radically different polar opposites on politics and economics.

And even outside this country, I was called "racist" by a Hindu from India after I told them their religion was not special. That was even after I pointed out atheists groups on facebook started by citizens of India who were born in Hindu families but simply left the religion. Even with Palestine and Israel, religion produces the racism BOTH can and do rightfully point to about the other. It is the same after the Hebdo attacks in France, and both Jews and Muslims would be RIGHT in saying they suffer discrimination. Racism is a product of religion, and is what religion hides behind both left and right, to avoid scrutiny of religion.

I do not say this in some sort of delusional call to force religion out of existence, as if one could on a planet of 7 billion. But a call for my fellow species, which ultimately stems from the same DNA going back far enough in evolution. To understand that the concept of religion, has to be treated for what it really is, simply a reflection of local, social norms, and should not be put on a pedestal. If there had been no god of Abraham invented, there would be no KKK. If there had been no god of Abraham invented, there would be no fighting between Sunnis and Shiites. If there had been no god of Abraham invented, there would be no fighting between Jews and Palestinians. If there had been no god of Abraham there would have been no black slavery.  If there had been no god of Abraham invented, Hitler, regardless of his personal beliefs, would not have been able to convince Germans that they were God's chosen people.

Religion causes racism, it causes human divisions, there simply is no good way to be polite about what the history of this concept has done to our species in our history. If we bravely face this, we can and will manage our differences to a much greater degree.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Solitary

I believe segregation, self imposed, or forced, contributes to racism too, as well as cultural norms that conflict.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Dreamer

I do not see how you mention anything about how or why religion causes racism. All you did was point out how religious followers can be racist... 

That religion can be construed to support awful stances is without question. But it is something entirely different to claim religion causes racism.
<br /><br />Individually, we are one drop.  Together, we are an ocean.<br /><br />

the_antithesis

I don't know if it's the cause of all racism and whether it's a cause or side effect is a chicken/egg conundrum, but racism is inherent in religion, at least back in humanity's tribal days when one group of sheep fucking Bedouins decided they were better than the neighboring tribe of sheep fucking Bedouins because they were the bestest sheep fuckers around and they were their god's chosen people.

So, yeah. Religion and racism were queefed out of the same vagina.

trdsf

Whether it causes racism or not, I don't know, but it can always be bent to its service.  Religion is about, as antithesis pointed out, tribalism and us vs them, just as racism is.

Not all religious people are racist... but slavery and antimiscegenation laws were (and anti-gay laws are) "justified" in the name of religion, not in terms of a Constitutional principle.  And while it's not impossible for an atheist, agnostic or other non-religious person to be racist, I've never met one.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

PickelledEggs

Racism is caused by people being afraid of what is different from them. Religion doesn't cause it necessarily, but it definitely is rocket-fuel for it.

Termin

Since humans created religion,and humans created racism, Humans are the source for racism. Religion may be used to spread or even justify racism, but it is not the root cause imo.
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

Baruch

Racism also involves the cruel application of political power ... not just bigotry.  And religion is closely tied to political power.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Solitary

The Judeo-Christian-Islamic beliefs are all based on magical thinking and irrational, just as racism, that is supported by organized religion and taught to young innocent children which perpetuates being irrational and a racist and bigot. So I would say these religions do promote and justify racism by using proselytizing to children that causes them to be racists and bigots, and adults that follow the religious teachings to the letter that can't think for themselves and need authority to guide them like little children do.   :madu:

Baruch

Racism is based on magical thinking ... you are correct.  All of politics is based on "the free lunch" ... and is magical thinking.  Racism is just one ugly part of it.  But magic, as in psychosomatic control of people's beliefs and actions, is real ... it is the very meat of politics ... and formal religion.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Solitary

drunkenshoe

How is it possible that not one of the posters responded to this thread typed the word nationalism.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: drunkenshoe on August 08, 2015, 03:25:38 PM
How is it possible that not one of the posters responded to this thread typed the word nationalism.
Bingo!  You just earned one official Turkish cookie. :lol:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

We are all part of the Matrix (nationalism is a super duper tribe .. no tribe, no survival ... the bigger the tribe, the more likely the survival ... don't like survival ... then go and die but leave me out of it).  But technically, nationalism is an ideology ... and ideology isn't usually equated with theology.  Ideology is how we divide ourselves up secularly ... theology is how we divide ourselves up spiritually.  Divide and conquer.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

CrucifyCindy

Both nature and nuture are the primary causes of racism. The human animal is naturally tribal and our upbringing and culture enforces that tribalism.
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به