Stephen Fry and husband cut honeymoon short due to homophobia

Started by Munch, June 15, 2015, 08:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/584540/Stephen-Fry-Elliott-Spencer-husband-honeymoon-homophobia-Honduras

QuoteElliott Spencer - who is 30 years younger than Stephen - revealed that the couple ran into trouble while in the Catholic country of Honduras.

"We had a problem when we visited Honduras on holiday," Elliott admitted. "It was homophobia. I don’t want to go into detail, but we had to leave."

Same-sex marriage is banned in the Central American country, but that clearly didn't stop Stephen and Elliot from wanting to visit.

The couple announced their plans to honeymoon in Honduras following their secret wedding in Norfolk in January.

Stephen, 57, said at the time: "We’re delaying our honeymoon so I can relax for longer. We’re planning a huge adventure."

While in Honduras, the comedian posted a photo of himself on Instagram with bananas on his head, but later revealed he was quitting the social networking site, saying: "Hounded off. Goodbye."

"Newspapers, as ever, suck all the joy out of everything," he wrote. "Closing down. It was, briefly, fun. Bye," he added to accompany a black image.

I saw this on another forum someone posting this story starting with the complaint about Stephen being married to someone 30 years younger then him. Seems a pretty retarded complaint, given how many famous straight stars there are who married people way younger then them, like michael douglas and catherine zeta jones.

But yes, I'm of two minds here, on the one hand yeah its a story about the typical catholicism and homophobic bullshit from them.

But on the other hand, I feel Stephen and his husband should have known better then going to a country with that kind of bigotry, it be like a lesbian couple going to iran and kissing each other in the open in bikini shorts.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Savior2006

There's a difference between knowing and understand. I have a feeling they "knew" they would encounter bigots but didn't "understand" how intense it would be. Once you go from a developed country with secular-liberal values into a places like Honduras, which is the sixth least-developed country in Latin-America, that's what happens. We call impoverished/religious countries "less developed" for a reason.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Mr.Obvious

I feel I should have an opinion on the subject.
But I'm too baffled at the news that Stephen Fry is married. I hadn't heard about that.
Feels strange. Good for them, don't get me wrong. But seems strange.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Munch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on June 16, 2015, 02:01:03 AM
I feel I should have an opinion on the subject.
But I'm too baffled at the news that Stephen Fry is married. I hadn't heard about that.
Feels strange. Good for them, don't get me wrong. But seems strange.

yeah even I didn't know about it. Well his hubbies adorable
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Sal1981

Yeah, I agree with the OP, however, this is exactly why we should fight this in developing nations.

aitm

Quote from: Sal1981 on June 16, 2015, 07:04:01 AM
Yeah, I agree with the OP, however, this is exactly why we should fight this in developing nations.

People like this, and they are all over the world with varying opinions on everything need to be coaxed into accepting. Like puppies, if you try to push it drag it, your'e in for a fight.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

GSOgymrat

I just feel bad that his honeymoon was ruined. A honeymoon is not the vacation where you want to have to act you and your husband are just acquaintances, a fiction my husband and I frequently play. As far as the age difference between Fry and his husband, it made me think of this old Sophie Tucker joke:

It was on the occasion of my ex-boyfriend Ernie's eightieth birthday and he called me up and said,
"Soph, I just married myself a twenty year old girl. What do you think about THAT!"
And I said to him,
"Ernie, on MY eightieth birthday I shall marry a twenty year old boy,
And let me tell you Ernie,
Twenty goes into eighty a hell of a lot more than eighty goes into twenty!"

Brian37

Quite a few years ago I watched a comedy show, and one comedian, don't remember their name but joked "I think gays should be allowed to get married, that way they can be just as miserable as the rest of us".
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

trdsf

Quote from: Munch on June 16, 2015, 07:00:10 AM
yeah even I didn't know about it. Well his hubbies adorable
Agreed, but I was heartbroken.  *I* wanted Stephen!
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan