News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Michigan anti-gay billboards

Started by Mermaid, May 09, 2015, 11:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

I never expected this sort of shit happening in response to same sex civil rights. But I guess that is naive, this sort of thing has happened with the challenge of other civil rights in the past.

It makes me want to hit someone. Hard.
---
http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2015/05/group_buys_anti-gay_billboards.html

DETROIT, MI - Anti-gay billboards are popping up across Michigan as Supreme Court justices consider legalizing gay marriage in the U.S.

A billboard at N. Telegraph Road just north of Ford Road in Dearborn Heights states: "Homosexuality is a behavior. Not a civil right." It also suggests people are not born gay, and cites Genesis 2:24 and Matthew 19:5 in The Bible.

The ads, which are expected to appear in Flint, Lansing and Grand Rapids in the coming days, are drawing fire online Friday as people criticized the group "Restrain the Judges," which paid for the billboards, and Giesken Outdoor Advertising for displaying the ad.
The group behind the billboard is a collection of conservative organizations under the name, "Restrain the Judges." The name refers to the Supreme Court justices expected to rule in June on gay marriage. The federal case, which could overturn gay marriage bans in the U.S., is in part driven by a Michigan gay couple's fight to jointly adopt their children.

Mark Gurley, a spokesman for Restrain the Judges, told WDIV in Detroit that the billboards are not intended to be anti-gay.

"The issue here doesn't have anything to do, at the end of the day, with the gay community," Gurley told WDIV. "It has everything to do with protecting freedom of religion."
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Hijiri Byakuren

Introduce these people to that one pansexual dude someone was talking about a few weeks ago. If nothing else, he'd help them pull out the stick.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

drunkenshoe

It will probably get worse. As you said, it's the same drill with all development. It'll pass. It's very important that this issue should win in the States in the end.

But I'd ike to give you a hand, if you hit one of them hard. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mermaid

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 09, 2015, 11:46:54 AM
It will probably get worse. As you said, it's the same drill with all development. It'll pass. It's very important that this issue should win in the States in the end.

But I'd ike to give you a hand, if you hit one of them hard. 
I have to keep focused on this, it will pass eventually. Meanwhile we have to live and work among these people, and since we live in Michigan, we are likely to have to see one of these hate-filled adverts. I have learned a great deal about self restraint and maturity from this exercise so far.

Breathe in, breathe out.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mermaid on May 09, 2015, 11:37:38 AM

"The issue here doesn't have anything to do, at the end of the day, with the gay community," Gurley told WDIV. "It has everything to do with protecting freedom of religion."
Because, you know, fuck everything but their gods.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

My response to these sorts of arguments:

Johan

I will gladly donate anonymously to any group that will put up billboards saying bigotry is a behavior. 
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Savior2006

Quote from: Johan on May 09, 2015, 12:58:47 PM
I will gladly donate anonymously to any group that will put up billboards saying bigotry is a behavior. 

And religious idiocy.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

AllPurposeAtheist

Wait,  so people are born putting up hateful billboards?  It's not a choice? :think:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

DeathandGrim

"Born Asian -- Not born this way"

Omg that's going in my sig.
You argue with a god of death?

We all make bad decisions.

"Born Asian -- Not born this way"

Atheon

QuoteMark Gurley, a spokesman for Restrain the Judges, told WDIV in Detroit that the billboards are not intended to be anti-gay.
Error.... error.... does not compute... does not compute... click... whirr... sproing.. KABOOM!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Solomon Zorn

If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

SGOS

QuoteMark Gurley, a spokesman for Restrain the Judges, told WDIV in Detroit that the billboards are not intended to be anti-gay.

LOL  Of course they are intended to be anti-gay.  That's exactly what their indented to be.  Sheesh.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Johan on May 09, 2015, 12:58:47 PM
Good idea! It's a free country. Offensive speech is the best kind! But only when it's based on knowledge, and not ignorance or hate. I would sponsor billboards about pedophile priests, childhood religious indoctrination, Bible atrocities and such. Put all these ideas out there that people want to ignore. Put it in their faces. The right-wing used to be bigoted the same way against blacks. Maybe a billboard that points that out. Remind us how backwards they have always been. Take control of the conversation. I am sick of them deciding what the issues are going to be.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com