News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Openly Secular

Started by GSOgymrat, April 14, 2015, 10:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

I saw an ad on YouTube that April 23 is Openly Secular Day, which "is a celebration of secular people opening up about their secular worldview, and an opportunity for theistic allies to show their support for secular friends and family. This is a day to help others understand our values and how we think. You can participate by attending a local event, making a video, or posting on social media, or you can get involved in other ways." They are encouraging atheists to share with one person that they are atheist, agnostic, humanist, etc. I'm willing to tell at least one person who doesn't know I'm an atheist, although friends and family already know. I could do a Facebook post but I'm a bit leery because the majority of the people who are Facebook "friends" are people from work and people from high school, some of whom I don't know at all. I never make political or religious posts.

Anyone heard of this or willing to participate?

http://www.openlysecular.org/

antediluvian

I learned of Openly Secular Day on Twitter.  There are many tweets on the subject from atheists, humanists, secularists.  I have no problem tweeting my position.
I always wondered why having balls was equated with "strength".  Balls are sensitive and delicate, actually.   Better to grow a vagina.  Those things can take a pounding - and pop out a live human being the size of a watermelon.

stromboli

This is how big brother finds you.  :eek:

Solitary

I would never join a group that would accept me!  :eek: :biggrin2: I think it is a good idea to get secular views out there before this country becomes a theocratic government with the inmates running the show like it is in the Middle East and anywhere else that religious idealism reigns supreme.  :cool: Solitary 
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

aitm

yeah. no. I just found out my company president was hesitant about bringing me back because "he doesn't seem to want to grab christ as the rest of us have".  So coming out would be the axe for me. Yeah, so I am probably on borrowed time here. Damn shame too, love the money. HA!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mermaid

Quote from: aitm on April 15, 2015, 07:29:22 AM
yeah. no. I just found out my company president was hesitant about bringing me back because "he doesn't seem to want to grab christ as the rest of us have".  So coming out would be the axe for me. Yeah, so I am probably on borrowed time here. Damn shame too, love the money. HA!
This makes me CRAZY.
How is this ever ok to say out loud?!
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mr.Obvious

Almost everyone I know well enough knows I'm atheist.
I can't tell any of my clients though, because we shouldn't bring up religion in my job and it hardly ever comes up anyway.
And I'll be honest, I'm not going to call up my grandpa or grandma, just to tell them that. If they ever ask, I'll be honest, but I'm not going to make that effort if it doesn't matter to them.
Then again, Belgium isn't quite as religious as America.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

doorknob

it scares me that we still live in a world where we have to fear being fired over our views.  We shouldn't still be living in the dark ages over here.

SGOS

I would caution anyone about revealing too much about themselves to the wrong people.  I understand the purpose of Openly Secular Day, and even applaud it, but remember, this is not a day where anyone is given a free pass.  There can be serious consequences to coming out, no matter what day it is.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: aitm on April 15, 2015, 07:29:22 AM

That's terrible. I know I wouldn't get fired but some people would be put off. My boss is very religious and I think she holds some kind of office in her church. I remember telling a coworker during a team building exercise (tell your name, job, and one interesting thing people may not know about you) that I was atheist and she was really upset.

stromboli

Honestly this is a good idea. As well as we are able we should make our voices heard. It is a shame in this day and age that we have to be quiet about simply being open minded thinkers. I am honestly so fucking sick of religion and the harm it does that I want to go out in the street and scream at people. I think at my age how many years I wasted being caught up in the utter idiocy of it that I really do get angry about it.

I stay on here for a reason. It gives me a place to talk to intelligent people and not go to a Mormon church and scream at them until I get thrown in jail.

And I am participating.

aitm

The company president actually thinks and said so during a meeting that the reason we could not get two projects through permitting was because Satan was actively trying to dissuade us from our christian duty to make money "for the glory of god"......hoo-boy...thats some whackadoodle do I work for.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on April 15, 2015, 11:22:06 AM
The company president actually thinks and said so during a meeting that the reason we could not get two projects through permitting was because Satan was actively trying to dissuade us from our christian duty to make money "for the glory of god"......hoo-boy...thats some whackadoodle do I work for.
This is not the person you should come out to.

doorknob

I'm all for coming out But I'd still exorcise caution. Many people grow upset over things like atheism. I don't know why but it's such a source of contention around here. Especially the elderly. The older they are the more stubbornly they cling to their beliefs and the ruder they are too.