Deepak Chopra: The problem with atheism

Started by GSOgymrat, April 02, 2015, 10:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 03, 2015, 05:54:23 PM
Well, that or they're simply hungry for a Templeton prize.

Wonder why Chopra seems to be so emotionally invested in his position? Harris and Shermer seemed very calm and reflective by comparison.
I've said this before, but it seems to me that those with the least amount of evidence defend their unsupportable positions the hardest.  And Deepak wasn't up against some lightweight here.  He stood to lose customers if he didn't come off well.

SkyChief

"A principle in morphogenesis and differentiation is a principle in the workings of the pacemaker of your heart"

An ACTUAL quote by Deepak Chopra to an astonished Sam Harris.

Context not really important here. Very few things that Chopra states can be taken out of context. 
"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."    - Albert Einstein

SGOS

Jesus spoke in parables.  I don't know why.  A parable isn't more informative that an outright explanation, but it's kind of puzzle, and people like puzzles.  Chopra speaks in gibberish.  I don't know why.  I wish he would use parables.

I'm thinking of a professor I had in college.  He used to say, "To often we pin a ribbon on the horns of a dilemma and ride off in a cloud of polysyllabic dust."  But Deepak seems to have taken that to the next level.  I wonder if he had many dates in high school, and how they went?  I don't think he's a coo coo bird, though.  I think he's a charlatan.

I wonder how much he craps and farts.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: trdsf on April 02, 2015, 09:20:00 PM
WTF is wrong with CNN that they pick a known purveyor of woo to discuss atheism?  I don't see them tapping Sam Harris to discuss Christianity (if they have, I will cheerily back down from my WTF).

Insert heartfelt eyeroll here.
Someone else wasn't happy CNN allowed Deepak Chopra to address atheism.

//http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danthropology/2015/04/cnn-allowed-deepak-chopra-to-spread-his-ignorance-about-atheism-and-science/?utm_content=buffer22f12&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

aitm

The human animal has evolved into an exciting, promising and ingenious one, but for all its potential being born of this earth and dependent upon it, seems to think that there exists a connection to something outside the boundaries of the safety of our planet where its life and boundless imagination would be crushed instantly and forever absorbed into the vacuum of space from which it can never rise again.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Solitary

Dpeek s n Iodit Wtih hs haed p hs as!  I nveer sw smoenoe tlak s mcuh n sy ntohnig.    :biggrin2:  :eyes: He! He! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

trdsf

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

Quote from: GSOgymrat on April 03, 2015, 09:04:34 PM
Someone else wasn't happy CNN allowed Deepak Chopra to address atheism.

//http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danthropology/2015/04/cnn-allowed-deepak-chopra-to-spread-his-ignorance-about-atheism-and-science/?utm_content=buffer22f12&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Quote“Some studies”? What studies? The piece on CNN lacks a single citation for any claim Chopra makes and I am supposed to take him at his word.

Chopra puts the "ass" in assertion!  :wink2:

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Desdinova

Chopra is all about one thing.  Lining his pockets with the dollars of people who feel lost and disenchanted with the world of organized religion.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Desdinova on April 08, 2015, 04:59:42 PM
Chopra is all about one thing.  Lining his pockets with the dollars of people who feel lost and disenchanted with the world of organized religion.
Do you think he is just a charlatan because I get the impression he is a true believer.

Unbeliever

I'm sure that's just the impression he strives to give.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Brian37

I love Sam but his Buddhism fetish and is own use of the word "spiritual" is just as hokey to me. I agree with him outside that on the issue of religion though.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37