News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Religion where you live?

Started by Aroura33, April 10, 2015, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on April 11, 2015, 07:07:44 PM
I hate hate hate that most of all.  If I'm at work, I have to be nice about it.  If I'm not, I'll reply with "And you have a rational one!"
I ignore it most of the time.  But occasionally, I'll reply with a facetious "blessed be".  They don't like that one bit.  Well, now you guys know how I feel about it.

Hijiri Byakuren

Where I live, it's perfectly okay to talk about Christianity out in the open, on the clock. Atheism must be talked about behind closed doors and on your own time.

This is in a state that's 25% atheist, mind you.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

GSOgymrat

Quote from: trdsf on April 11, 2015, 07:07:44 PM
I hate hate hate that most of all.  If I'm at work, I have to be nice about it.  If I'm not, I'll reply with "And you have a rational one!"

True confessions: When people say "Have a blessed day" what immediately pops into my head is "Blessed are the Ori" because I've watched every episode of Stargate.

The Ori /ˈÉ'raɪ/[1] are fictional characters in the science fiction television series, Stargate SG-1. They are a group of "ascended" beings who use their advanced technology and knowledge of the universe to attempt to trick non-ascended humans into worshipping them as gods.

Munch

Just had to share this one, since it would count as religion where I live in my town. My aunt, who short of simply saying it, is a new earth creationist who believes the world id 6000 years old, and that we were made by god planted on earth and all the ken ham bullshit there is.

She's taken it upon herself to try and not just say out loud how she thinks evolution is bullshit to my mum, her older sister, who herself follows evolution and science as a standard, but not content enough to accepting mums answer of 'thats what you believe, this is what I believe, nuff said', my aunt has gone out of her way, to look across the net, and print of document after document, of her 'proof' of evolution being a false claim.
She even highlighted areas of the papers she printed of, like trying to use Darwins claim on his deathbed that he had no solid proof of evolution at that time, something that now has been shown to have no proof outside of the person who was with him at the time, lady hope, as just her words as a christian.

My aunts a dingbat, who can't be content unless everyone agrees with her, mostly its based on this insecurity of her having an imperfection, that everyone loves her, and to be wrong would go against that imperfection.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Munch on April 16, 2015, 11:47:57 AM
Just had to share this one, since it would count as religion where I live in my town. My aunt, who short of simply saying it, is a new earth creationist who believes the world id 6000 years old, and that we were made by god planted on earth and all the ken ham bullshit there is.

She's taken it upon herself to try and not just say out loud how she thinks evolution is bullshit to my mum, her older sister, who herself follows evolution and science as a standard, but not content enough to accepting mums answer of 'thats what you believe, this is what I believe, nuff said', my aunt has gone out of her way, to look across the net, and print of document after document, of her 'proof' of evolution being a false claim.
She even highlighted areas of the papers she printed of, like trying to use Darwins claim on his deathbed that he had no solid proof of evolution at that time, something that now has been shown to have no proof outside of the person who was with him at the time, lady hope, as just her words as a christian.

My aunts a dingbat, who can't be content unless everyone agrees with her, mostly its based on this insecurity of her having an imperfection, that everyone loves her, and to be wrong would go against that imperfection.
It sounds like your aunt might be a narcissist. If possible, you should try talking her into seeing a psychiatrist to get checked out. Not being satisfied with agreeing to disagree is a characteristic of narcissistic disorder. Try to get her the proper help before officially settling on the "dingbat" explanation.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Munch

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on April 16, 2015, 12:29:30 PM
It sounds like your aunt might be a narcissist. If possible, you should try talking her into seeing a psychiatrist to get checked out. Not being satisfied with agreeing to disagree is a characteristic of narcissistic disorder. Try to get her the proper help before officially settling on the "dingbat" explanation.

That arn't gonna happen sadly, mostly because her partner, he pretty much fuels this, one of those guys who take complete control of her life, what she watches on tv, how they will build the house, where to shop, everything basically, and he is worse then her in terms of being one of these meatheaded tools who thinks themselves right all the time. If I even mentioned something about her going to a psychiatrist, he'd flip out and pull her in even more. 

dtq123

Religion in Renton is surprisingly mild.

My whole family is religious except for my little brother.

And he still believes in Santa.

My paternal grandfather is the only "sane" one, saying that it's ok for me to change my religion at best.

I tired to translate atheism to him, but he can't see anyone without a god.

Ridiculous to be honest. Better than my grandmother who's pushing me to be a priest, but still.
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

trdsf

I may not vote this time around in the primary.  I have problems with all four candidates: one's a Republican, he's right out from the get-go.  He and one of the others (one of the three Dems) both oppose equal marriage rights, which is a dealbreaker.  Of the two remaining, I have it from people who already work with him that *they* don't want him to be mayor, and one has the backing of the local Baptist organization, though how he got that while being pro marriage equality, I don't know.  I think I'll let them hash it out for themselves and see who's left standing for November.  It's a non-partisan primary, so we could come out of this with two Democrats running against each other.

Don't think any of the third party usuals made it onto the ballot.  And our two write-ins are cranks, not even entertaining ones -- one makes a hobby of suing everyone and everything (she's been ordered to stop filing lawsuits unless approved by a magistrate, and promptly sued the judge who handed down that decision), the other appears to have an ax to grind over not getting a job with the school district, I think... it's not really clear.  Ah, well.

We can't even do fucked-up politics entertainingliy around here.  But this is Ohio... we're proud of being beige.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

1liesalot

Quote from: Aroura33 on April 10, 2015, 03:30:20 PM
So I was out shopping last week, and saw this car parked at the store.  I had to stop and take pictures.

I live in a little pocket of fundamentalism south of Portland.  There is a church here on every corner, though I've also met a number of non-religious people. Still, this kind of in your face religion disgusts me.  I mean, a little Jesus fish or bumper sticker or something fine, but this is nuts. And it was ALL OVER the car, including on the trunk and the roof.

What is religion like where you live?  Mild? Pernicious?

P.S.  Another shopper called me "bitch" for taking pictures of this car.  I didn't stop and ask her why, but yikes....that was pretty harsh.

I'm from the UK. We say what we want about religion. No one cares except loonies.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: GSOgymrat on April 11, 2015, 03:53:47 PM
Honestly, that car is subtle compared to a car that parks at my gym. It has religious writing all over it PLUS a four-foot billboard attached to the roof. The owner always wear t-shirts with slogans like "repent or burn." There is also a big SUV with Christian Science of Creationism on it (I can't remember the exact wording). The most disturbing is a big truck that has a bunch of Marine Corps, pro-gun, anti-pacifism stuff with stickers like "the only good liberal is a dead liberal." That guy is a big bodybuilder. I've also noticed that all of the televisions in the gym that show news are set to Fox News, except one in the corner set to CNN. It's not like my gym is a little redneck hole-in-the wall, it's a large gym with lots of moms and younger people.

I'll try to get a picture of the cars next time.

Finally remembered to snap a picture.

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Munch

For some reason that reminds me of the scientist who put the prob on the meteor, but got ridiculed by feminazis because of his shirt.
We live in a world where a brilliant man can have all he worked for undermined by one group of assholes, meanwhile another group of assholes can drive around in some shit like that, and nobody flames them down to the ground or calls them on their preaching.

Sometimes, just.. fuck this world.

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

kilodelta

They missed some spaces on their car. Perhaps some verses about how Lot's daughters raped him would round the theme out.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Odoital778412

Quote from: Aroura33 on April 10, 2015, 03:30:20 PMI live in a little pocket of fundamentalism south of Portland.  There is a church here on every corner, though I've also met a number of non-religious people. Still, this kind of in your face religion disgusts me.  I mean, a little Jesus fish or bumper sticker or something fine, but this is nuts. And it was ALL OVER the car, including on the trunk and the roof.

What is religion like where you live?  Mild? Pernicious?

P.S.  Another shopper called me "bitch" for taking pictures of this car.  I didn't stop and ask her why, but yikes....that was pretty harsh.

I really don't know.  Most people in my area don't wear their religion on their sleeve.  I happen to be a Christian, but I wouldn't be inclined to think driving a car like the one pictured is a good idea.  I find that most people aren't religious in the first place.  Most people have some basic beliefs, but generally they go on about their lives as if there is no God.  God generally only becomes an object of thought for them during some kind of scary or difficult moment.  The vast majority of people seem to live in a constant, though level, rationalization designed to provide themselves maximum autonomy & social ease.  That's my general take.
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” - C.S. Lewis, Is Theology Poetry? -