News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

fuck optimism

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, March 06, 2013, 08:49:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

I knew there was a reason to be a pesimist.. you live longer generally according to the article in the Columbus Dispatch (yellow journalism rag)
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Plu

Haha, yeah this doesn't sound very revolutionary as a concept. But I'll stick to being an optimist :D

Bibliofagus

Apparently optimists are more optimistic about not getting run over while crossing the street blindfolded :D
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Tornadoes caused: 2, maybe 3.

stromboli

Optimism never worked for me. Only sometimes.

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm optimistic the Dispatch will still suck tomorrow.. It's right wing mostly..

BarkAtTheMoon

I like pessimism. You can't be disappointed, only pleasantly surprised.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

Brian37

I hate being called a pessimist merely for saying stuff like "You shouldn't drink and drive". Or "most people wont get rich" Since when does stating facts make one a pessimist?

Same with the bullshit "afterlife" crap religion sells. It is so foreign to people that atheists can enjoy life without making up superstitious crap.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Plu

Yeah... that seems entirely unrelated to pessimism.

Brian37

Quote from: "Plu"Yeah... that seems entirely unrelated to pessimism.

I agree it is unrelated, so why do they use "pessimist"? Because they fear they might be wrong so they try to demonize you with that word rather than think about the bullshit they claim.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Hydra009

Thumpalumpacus

Just my fucking luck.
<insert witty aphorism here>

AllPurposeAtheist

An6 sense of optimism I had this morning was shredded today.. Details not forthcoming.. fuck it.. Suffice to say shitty news..

PJS

There are replicated studies  that link optimistic explanatory styles with less illnesses and longer lives. In some contexts optimism seems to contribute to achievement as well.

Excessive optimism is the damaging type, as studies in cognitive psychology have shown. Overconfident students often underperform compared to less confident students with equal ability, who study more thoroughly. Much research demonstrates that illusory optimism often leads to risky behaviors such as smoking and unprotected sex. People assess their own risk level as lower than statistics show; we are better at assessing risk for others.

The most overconfident are often the least competent as studies on grammar and logic tests demonstrate. Those most surprised by test scores are often the weakest performers. "It takes competence to recognize competence" as it goes...
The path of least resistance and least trouble is a mental rut already made. It requires troublesome work to undertake the alternation of old beliefs.
-John Dewey