News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Before There Was Everything

Started by undercoverbrother, March 04, 2015, 08:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winterland78

Yes, I request information on the atheism religion. Can you provide any for me, please?

dtq123

Quote from: winterland78 on March 05, 2015, 10:53:19 PM
Yes, I request information on the atheism religion. Can you provide any for me, please?
Atheism is merely a lack of a belief in a god. Religion requires a god. Therefore Atheism is not a religion?
Any more questions? I'm bored sooo... yeah  :eyes:
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

winterland78

Hello. I do not think that is true. All indications show me that your beliefs are a religion. Followers of the atheism religion have said it is a religion and online results also confirm it. Can you please provide me some holy text citations of the atheism religion? What is the name of your holy text? What are your beliefs? Like I said, my research shows me that followers of the atheism religion are a minority of the population, and they seem to be hated by the majority of the population. This even seems to be true for western societies, too. Why? Thanks everybody.

P.S: I also cannot seem to reply to any threads in the 'introduction' section for some reason, so I apologize to any users there who were awaiting my replies.

dtq123

Quote from: winterland78 on March 05, 2015, 11:06:45 PM
Hello. I do not think that is true. All indications show me that your beliefs are a religion. Followers of the atheism religion have said it is a religion and online results also confirm it. Can you please provide me some holy text citations of the atheism religion? What is the name of your holy text? What are your beliefs? Like I said, my research shows me that followers of the atheism religion are a minority of the population, and they seem to be hated by the majority of the population. This even seems to be true for western societies, too. Why? Thanks everybody.

P.S: I also cannot seem to reply to any threads in the 'introduction' section for some reason, so I apologize to any users there who were awaiting my replies.

We had a holy text, but I threw it out of the window. We are hated because we are misunderstood. So can I haz research on how you found out we are a religion?

Side note; The OriginalPost got me there for a second there, but I used it on my mom and the reaction was funny. So thanks undercoverbrother
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

SNP1

Quite simply, describe time "beginning" without using words that require time to exist in order to have meaning. You will run into quite a few problems.
"My only agenda, if one can call it that, is the pursuit of truth" ~AoSS

winterland78

Hello. I already gave you the reasons, and told you about the research. I already did that.

"We are misunderstood" seems to be a cop-out - no excuse. I still wish to have a good inter-faith dialogue, but followers of the atheist religion seem to be hated, I just can't put my finger on the reason though. I wish someone here would break ranks and just tell me. Thanks everybody.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: winterland78 on March 05, 2015, 10:39:58 PM
I apologize. I look forward to addressing each points the followers of the atheism religion make - in due time, of course. Thanks everybody.

[mod]Oh you're one of those.... nevermind. I retract my last post giving you an extra chance. If you think you're going to come in here acting like Mr. Forum-Celebrity-Theist, you can just go. I can see this is going to go nowhere.

Bye.[/mod]

undercoverbrother

Thanks. I thought I was going to have one of THOSE conversations.

undercoverbrother

Quote from: SNP1 on March 05, 2015, 11:18:22 PM
Quite simply, describe time "beginning" without using words that require time to exist in order to have meaning. You will run into quite a few problems.

The beginning is when something starts.

Wait. Let me start over.

The beginning is that point at which matter originally existed where time, space, and matter...

Never mind.

Solitary

Everything that exists now is made of what has existed for eternity, whatever that may be, even God if you want to name "'IT" God. So that kind of God is something no buddy could know what it is, and foolish to speculate about it with not a shred of reliable evidence accept ancient Scriptures that would mean they were written by people smarter than all of mankind since, because it is obvious by it ambiguities and idiocy, silliness, magic that any good magician can do now, it couldn't have been written by the God of Judeo, Christian, and Islamic dogma, or any other superstitious god based on the same evidence. This whole argument for God, or gods, is an Appeal to authority, emotions, ignorance, and many other fallacies in sound logic and critical thinking. Ignorance is not knowledge by replacing it with a magical ""MAN" in the sky.  :naughty:  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao::wall: :fU:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Solitary

Atheism is a religion by one definition of religion---so what does that mean if religion is correct atheism is wrong or vice versa? This is a fallacy if you don't know without evidence and I think I do without evidence, and you do accept from ancient Scriptures by ignorant men that were sheep herders, I'm right and you are wrong, or you are right and I am wrong? I'll stick with the evidence like a court of law does until it can be shown with reliable evidence that a God can, and does exist. Why is that so hard to do? Solitary

trdsf

Gonna try to drag this back toward its original topic before we were so rudely diverted by PleaseModMeOutOfExistance78...

The concept of something outside of everything -- that is, nothing (by which I don't mean that nothing is something, it's just something that isn't everything and I think my brain is melting so I'm going to just let it go at that) -- is exceedingly difficult to get your head around because the default mental image is dark, empty space.

Which it is, after you take the space away, too.  I once told someone that to imagine what the universe looked like before the Big Bang, first imagine completely empty space, and then take the space away, and I would swear I saw smoke coming out of his ear.

Real conversation I once had trying to explain the expansion of the universe:

Me: (having resorted to the raisin bread analogy, which I don't really like but it's more useful than most others) ...and all the raisins are moving away from each other, because the space, the dough around them is expanding while they remain the same size.
He: But then it's all expanding into the kitchen.
Me: The kitchen doesn't matter.  Take the kitchen away.
He: Then it's expanding into the back yard.
Me: :hang:
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

stromboli

I'm going to go with the mellow long toke answer: "Shit just is, bro."

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: undercoverbrother on March 04, 2015, 08:28:33 AM
Just to stimulate more conversation:

If nothing existed before everything existed, then everything has always existed.
How do you know nothing existed before everything existed?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Solitary

Space expands and there is a red shift assuming that light is like sound when it is a different kind of wave. Next, it is assumed that gravity has no effect on the frequency of light waves. Also, there are galaxies that are blue shifted. And finally, it is assumed that there has to be a creation and Einstein was originally wrong. What about gravitational lensing that could make it appear that space is expanding. And what about the great attractor that we are moving towards and not away from?  Solitary