News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Anti-Vaxers - They are everywhere!

Started by Aroura33, February 11, 2015, 03:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gussy

The parents not vaccinating are the first humans ever to grow up in a world with little to none in the way of communicable disease.  They never had a friend or sibling die from polio or smallpox.  Now they get to watch their own children get diseases because of their ignorance.  Instead of having this be a wakeup call though,  we have every idiot running for president trying to pander to them. 

Mermaid

I am very glad smallpox is eradicated and really hope it stays that way. I am, however nervous about some long-frozen bodies in Siberia that are in danger of surfacing because of climate change. Could they refresh the planet's supply of smallpox now that everyone under 50 is unvaccinated? But I digress.

I read a comment this morning about how measles is "no big deal" and that families should let their kids go to "measles parties" and get it over with.

I think chicken pox and measles are getting crossed here. Meh, what's the difference? A spotty virus is a spotty virus, right? Now don't forget to douse yourself in hand sanitizer, Billy. You don't want to get GERMS.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

the_antithesis

Anti-vaxers are horrible people.

Even if their position were true, which it isn't, they are saying they'd rather their children were dead.

Whenever they open their horrible mouths, just say that and walk away from them.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Mermaid on February 12, 2015, 07:45:56 AM
I read a comment this morning about how measles is "no big deal" and that families should let their kids go to "measles parties" and get it over with.

I think chicken pox and measles are getting crossed here. Meh, what's the difference? A spotty virus is a spotty virus, right? Now don't forget to douse yourself in hand sanitizer, Billy. You don't want to get GERMS.

What idiots. Measles isn't a big deal these days because we have a vaccine for it. Before that, millions died. I hope they get measles and die. One less moron on the planet.

Mermaid

I don't think they are saying they would rather their children be dead. I think they are saying that they do not grasp the reality of infectious diseases and vaccine efficacy. And that they believe things they read on the internet that are completely false.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

Interesting times we live in now. With social media and web-based news, information is much more accessible and....pervasive. And a sequella is that MISinformation is also more accessible and pervasive.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Mermaid on February 14, 2015, 10:36:57 AM
I don't think they are saying they would rather their children be dead.

I don't think they realize they are saying they would rather their children were dead. But that is what they're saying, even if their position were true. They need a wake up call in this.

AllPurposeAtheist

Wait,  vaccines aren't really a liberal plot to make people live longer than they normally would if they were say.....hanging out with a bunch of diseased people?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Public health policy is a delicate balance, after all, it is just as much a  part of politics as any other part of government.  Normally, the benefits outweigh the risks ... regarding vaccination.  If the kid has a rare condition, can't they be screened before they are inoculated?  This is little different than a kid being allergic to peanuts.  Back in the day, surplus peanut butter was forced down every kids throat at the public school kitchen (usually as peanut butter cookies).  Probably back then, when we weren't as aware of peanut allergies, some kids died.  But I am sure schools health departments are more careful now, and can screen for vaccination allergy too.  What to do with kids who are allergic to things that the other kids are exposed to, like vaccinations?  Don't know.  But this can be handled without the conspiracy nut content ... or the totalitarian neo-lib policy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

doorknob

I feel sorry for the children. The parents should have to die not the poor kid!

Mermaid

Quote from: Baruch on January 21, 2016, 07:21:16 PM
Public health policy is a delicate balance, after all, it is just as much a  part of politics as any other part of government.  Normally, the benefits outweigh the risks ... regarding vaccination.  If the kid has a rare condition, can't they be screened before they are inoculated?  This is little different than a kid being allergic to peanuts.  Back in the day, surplus peanut butter was forced down every kids throat at the public school kitchen (usually as peanut butter cookies).  Probably back then, when we weren't as aware of peanut allergies, some kids died.  But I am sure schools health departments are more careful now, and can screen for vaccination allergy too.  What to do with kids who are allergic to things that the other kids are exposed to, like vaccinations?  Don't know.  But this can be handled without the conspiracy nut content ... or the totalitarian neo-lib policy.
How would you propose to screen people for rare conditions or vaccine allergy? How are you "sure" schools can do this?

Baruch

Quote from: Mermaid on January 22, 2016, 08:21:50 AM
How would you propose to screen people for rare conditions or vaccine allergy? How are you "sure" schools can do this?

Don't let the parents put their kids in any public school, or pay their property tax etc ... unless they do it.  With the IRS, you are a germ until proven otherwise ;-)  The school nurse probably can't do this, but she doesn't do brain surgery either.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on February 11, 2015, 04:38:33 PM

I've been saying this for a while now. Let's just quarantine them all to an island and let nature take it's course.

Maybe a tropical island with malaria. Speed things up a bit.

Hydra009

Tempting, but not the right solution.  Instead, we should consider not vaccinating children against debilitating/deadly diseases as child abuse.  And anti-vaxxer talk should be met with ridicule and scorn.  Put enough pressure on it, and it'll be less and less common.