Translated article: Inflatable Church

Started by Mr.Obvious, January 27, 2015, 02:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

My fellow heathens, I do adore this forum. But it being a predorminantly American website, we might forget just how silly religion can be over here in Europe. (Though it should not come as too much of a surprise, after all we have the Vatican.) I read this little gem of an article on the train to work, though mine in paper format was a bit smaller, this morning, and decided to translate it for you.

Inflatable Church big hit in Germany

Eibergen
Pim Bottenberg is becoming an enormous hit in Germany with his inflatable church in which a hundred guests can attend a wedding. The church grows to 12 meters high, 20 meters long and 8 meters wide when fully inflated. Wherever Bottenberg and his church go, the remarkable inflated building wakes up a lot of interest.

A small article in a local German paper has given it its international fame, because not much later the national broadcasting stations ZDF and WDR were on the phone.
<<In the Netherlands it is used for 'churchly-activities' lika mass or a wedding 20% of the time and for festivities and other activities 80% of the time. In Germany they are more conservative. The numbers are switched there.>>

The inflatable church weighs 800 kilo, but is up in a few hours. The entirety of it for rent for one thousand to a thousand and a half euros, dependent on the distance Bottenberg has to cross. The entrepeneurs have, on acount of the succes, made a new inflatable church. This one being completely pink. "So ugly that it becomes pretty, but for now it's only being asked in the Netherlands because in other countries a pink church still sends out the wrong signal."

Link to the original article:
http://nl.metrotime.be/2015/01/27/must-read/opblaaskerk-een-sensatie-in-duitsland/

I just had to look it up on the internet, by the way.
http://youtu.be/b2wRE-fdm8s

Guess that's one way religion can blow up.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Desdinova

Needless to say it's filled with a lot of hot air.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Sal1981

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 27, 2015, 02:43:06 PMGuess that's one way religion can blow up.
Only thing missing is the inflated priest.

Munch

oh yes, who doesn't want to get married in a church that smells of latex.

Actually..
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

kilodelta

Where the bottom part that one can bounce on? That's really the best part of those inflatables.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Munch

Quote from: kilodelta on January 27, 2015, 07:03:42 PM
Where the bottom part that one can bounce on? That's really the best part of those inflatables.

I can already picture a crowd of children jumping around happy about something big and inflatable being blown up, just for the minister to turn around and say "HAHA, Sorry kids, god took the base away!"

stromboli

Inflatable gay bars in 3....2....1......

dtq123

Quote from: stromboli on January 27, 2015, 08:18:40 PM
Inflatable gay bars in 3....2....1......
Welcome to the bar! Will it be butts*x? Or just kissing? Either way, head on to the Inflatable Church when you are ready to settle down! Follow us to our next place for a free buffet and toys!

Seriously, I would put one right up next to this "church"
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

stromboli

How's about an inflatable whore house? I understand that if you deflate them a couple of pounds, Tom Brady can toss one for 50 yards.  :biggrin:

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Munch on January 27, 2015, 08:14:40 PM
I can already picture a crowd of children jumping around happy about something big and inflatable being blown up, just for the minister to turn around and say "HAHA, Sorry kids, god took the base away!"

I imagine The catholics building one in response. I also imagine that one to have a bouncy base. You know, to lure in The altar boys.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

stromboli

(Stromboli searches for a gif of "bouncing altar boys")

Hydra009

Quote from: stromboli on January 27, 2015, 09:29:58 PMHow's about an inflatable whore house? I understand that if you deflate them a couple of pounds, Tom Brady can toss one for 50 yards.  :biggrin:
Came for the sex dolls, stayed for the Tom Brady joke.   :lol:

Munch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 28, 2015, 12:33:17 PM
I imagine The catholics building one in response. I also imagine that one to have a bouncy base. You know, to lure in The altar boys.

And give them 'play suits' in the fashion of marilyn monroe

TrooperFive

They should have at least built something more useful, like an inflatable hotel. ANYTHING but a church.
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled.
~Mark Twain

stromboli

Look at the bright side. This is a church that can be destroyed with a sharp pointed object.