Birth Control Inhibits Women's Identity...

Started by Mathew, March 02, 2013, 12:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathew

Get ready for more dumbfuckery coming from Oklahoma...

QuoteEmployers in Oklahoma could opt not to include contraceptives and abortions in employee insurance plans under a measure that secured passage by a Senate committee Thursday.
 The measure, Senate Bill 452 by Sen. Clark Jolley, R-Edmond, passed the Senate Business and Commerce Committee by a vote of 9-0 with no debate and now heads to the full Senate.

QuoteJolley said the measure is the result of a request from a constituent, Dr. Dominic Pedulla, an Oklahoma City cardiologist who describes himself as a natural family planning medical consultant and women's health researcher. [...]
Women are worse off with contraception because it suppresses and disables who they are, Pedulla said.

"Part of their identity is the potential to be a mother," Pedulla said. "They are being asked to suppress and radically contradict part of their own identity

Poison Tree

Oh, geez. oh, I can't even . . .
Just an idea, let me float it and see what happens. How about, I don't know, we let individual women decide what they want their own identity to be instead of the government and some guy deciding and enforcing what should (and shouldn't) be part of their identity. I must be crazy, it's almost like I think women are actually fully people or something.

Edit: unless I'm mistaken, this is the source.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Hydra009

Quote"Part of their identity is the potential to be a mother," Pedulla said. "They are being asked to suppress and radically contradict part of their own identity
By that stellar logic, antihistamines and antacids and antibiotics are also verboten since these drugs also affect one's physiology, albeit in minor ways.  Yet, for some strange reason, I do not consider coughing and sneezing incessantly because of allergies to be an indispensable part of who I am.   People desire control over that sort of thing, not unlike how women desire control over their own reproductive cycle.  This sounds suspiciously like a ploy to harm women by demonizing their method of control and then denying it to them.  All in the name of God and family, no less.

Noodle

... and then there's this: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/01/2 ... d-products

IDK... I'm just an iggerant African, but can someone please tell me if all Americans are crazy, or is it just the Republicans??
[hrline][/hrline]

I believe in Dog

SGOS

Sen. Clark Jolley, huh?

There's all kinds of people out there, and you expect dumbfuckery from different quarters of society.  Not so much with elected officials.  We vote these people into office based on their ability to make reasonable decisions for the common good.  Well, that's the idea anyway.  Apparently, the system is not fool proof.

Farroc

Quote from: "Noodle"... and then there's this: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/01/2 ... d-products

IDK... I'm just an iggerant African, but can someone please tell me if all Americans are crazy, or is it just the Republicans??
Don't forget the Teabaggers!
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

Mermaid

Quote from: "Noodle"... and then there's this: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/01/2 ... d-products

Neither. It's the female half of us that's too dumb to make these big complicated decisions for ourselves so we have these big, strong smart men to do it for us.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

AllPurposeAtheist

Allah be praised the woman has come to her senses and welcomes thousañds of unwanted babies into the great state of Oklahoma so they can vastly expand the states welfare roles.  :-k
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mermaid

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"thousañds
:-s
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

mnmelt

Just the Republicans.. I am amazed that most of them actually have opposable thumbs!! :roll:
Jesus loves me but I still make him wear a condom

stromboli

QuoteFrankly, I'm appalled at this attempt to restrict our personal liberties. Who doesn't enjoy a fetus pop on a hot summer day? Or a nice bowl of cream of fetus on a cold winter night? What about folks who enjoy deep fried fetus on a stick at the county fair? Do we really want to prevent McDonald's from introducing the McFetus? That's not very free market-y of the senator. Come on, man, this is America. Our founding fathers didn't discover America just so we could not enjoy our favorite fetus recipes in the privacy of our own homes.

Maybe Oklahoma shouldn't have been so quick to ban that other non-existent creeping epidemic: sharia law in U.S. courts. I hear the terrorists don't like aborted fetuses either.

Damnit. Gonna have to edit my recipe file again......

Thumpalumpacus

It's all about control, and the desire to retain it.
<insert witty aphorism here>

NeoLogic26

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote"Part of their identity is the potential to be a mother," Pedulla said. "They are being asked to suppress and radically contradict part of their own identity
By that stellar logic, antihistamines and antacids and antibiotics are also verboten since these drugs also affect one's physiology, albeit in minor ways.  Yet, for some strange reason, I do not consider coughing and sneezing incessantly because of allergies to be an indispensable part of who I am.   People desire control over that sort of thing, not unlike how women desire control over their own reproductive cycle.  This sounds suspiciously like a ploy to harm women by demonizing their method of control and then denying it to them.  All in the name of God and family, no less.
Not that I don't agree with your sentiment, but the examples you gave could be countered by pointing out that those things correct a malfunction in the way the body normally works. Birth control could be argued to do the exact opposite. Again, just pointing out that most people you would make that argument to don't consider most of modern medicine to be unnatural or an abomination of the natural order. It's like how they don't mind taking antibiotics that work because of our knowledge of how bacteria evolve, but they won't acknowledge evolution in general.
"For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Alaric I

WTF?  I know some women have issues with it due to contraceptives unbalancing their hormones, but to say it surpresses their supresses their instinct to be a mother is just ridiculous.

On another note, I think we have all proven countless times that both sides are crazy.  Quit this crap about "My party isn't the crazy one", you are just fooling yourselves.

Brian37

Quote from: "Mathew"Get ready for more dumbfuckery coming from Oklahoma...

QuoteEmployers in Oklahoma could opt not to include contraceptives and abortions in employee insurance plans under a measure that secured passage by a Senate committee Thursday.
 The measure, Senate Bill 452 by Sen. Clark Jolley, R-Edmond, passed the Senate Business and Commerce Committee by a vote of 9-0 with no debate and now heads to the full Senate.

QuoteJolley said the measure is the result of a request from a constituent, Dr. Dominic Pedulla, an Oklahoma City cardiologist who describes himself as a natural family planning medical consultant and women's health researcher. [...]
Women are worse off with contraception because it suppresses and disables who they are, Pedulla said.

"Part of their identity is the potential to be a mother," Pedulla said. "They are being asked to suppress and radically contradict part of their own identity

What a fucking asshole. This guy has no business being a doctor. HEY FUCKWAD, the sole goal for any human is to be happy in life, not to bow to your antiquated social norms. Women are more than bun factories asshole! Evolution is diverse so what one person may want in life may not be what the next person may want. You are assuming every woman wants to have kids. FUCK OFF!

What a sick fuck and this OK women need to stand up to this legislature. This is so fucked up.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37