News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I Greet Thee

Started by Remnant of Dawn, February 27, 2013, 08:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remnant of Dawn

Hello! I'm a 19-year old male, currently going to school to study computer science. I guess I've been an atheist since 8th grade or so, though I denied it even to myself until a year or two later. I still haven't told anyone except a few of my closest friends, although I plan on telling my parents as soon as I can (as soon as I'm done college and they can't refuse to pay my tuition anymore, heh). I'm not quite sure how they'll react, but I hope they'll be understanding.

I know I'm only a freshman, but I'm hoping I'll be able to get a PhD in some field related to artificial intelligence after I graduate. I'm just so intrigued by the idea of replicating the human consciousness in a machine, and I would love to be able to spend my life furthering the pursuit of this knowledge. I'm fairly quiet and have mild social anxiety though, so I hope I'll be able to overcome this.

As for this site, I joined a while back, but this was on my PSP in high school, so I only lurked for the most part--I couldn't risk viewing this site on the computer and having my secret revealed to my parents. Now I can browse and post as I please, though, and I finally got around to coming back and introducing myself (schoolwork's been tough, first semester was a bit of a culture shock after gliding through high school).

I look forward to discussing and debating with you all in the future. (I imagine they'll be a good bit of debating, as although I'm an atheist, I tend to take the conservative view on a good many points, and as I recall this place was pretty liberal on the whole).

It's great to have somewhere I can talk freely, vent, and hopefully learn something new about my own beliefs and opinions. Can't wait to meet you all!

And yes, I misspelled my username. I'm sure you'll be able to deal with it. (as I said, I signed up on a PSP).
"Droll thing life is - that mysterious arrangement of merciless logic for a futile purpose. The most you can hope from it is some knowledge of yourself - that comes too late - a crop of inextinguishable regrets." - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

wolf39us

Would you like me to correct your user ID?

Also, welcome

Remnant of Dawn

Quote from: "wolf39us"Would you like me to correct your user ID?

Also, welcome

Thanks! If you could, that would be awesome.

Was supposed to be "Remnant of Dawn" lol.
"Droll thing life is - that mysterious arrangement of merciless logic for a futile purpose. The most you can hope from it is some knowledge of yourself - that comes too late - a crop of inextinguishable regrets." - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

wolf39us

BlackL1ght

Welcome to the forum! I feel like I just read my own intro haha
<- Computer science major who loves psp games and only recently came out to his parents about atheism and was worried about his tuition who is also freshman in college
Vi veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Brian37

Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission, and rip the tag off your mattress.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Remnant of Dawn

Thanks for fixing my ID!

Quote from: "BlackL1ght"Welcome to the forum! I feel like I just read my own intro haha
<- Computer science major who loves psp games and only recently came out to his parents about atheism and was worried about his tuition who is also freshman in college

Thanks! And yeah it should be illegal for colleges to charge you as much as they do...if my parents suddenly decided to stop paying, I would have to choose between going to a cheap community college or graduating with heaps of debt, neither of which is very appealing...

I shouldn't complain too much, though, because my classes were great first semester and I feel like I learned a lot (even if I only got to take one comp sci class :/).

Quote from: "Brian37"Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission, and rip the tag off your mattress.
But of course!

mnmelt

Welcome.. And how sad it is that we worry about "coming out" to our parents.. I myself was such a chick shit I waited till they were dead before i told anyone..LOL
Jesus loves me but I still make him wear a condom

Teaspoon Shallow

My mother and sister are extremely religious and when I advised I no longer shared their faith (gullibility) my sister said it disturbed here very much.
It was an interesting conversation but not unpleasant for the most part.  After explaining how i came to my conclusion and advising that I had no interest in talking them out of their faith we have had numerous talks about faith and my mother is now accepting and even demonstrates some critical think when reviewing the church.

If they find happiness in their "spiritual security blanket" and are not harming others I don't care.  It is nice that they are now listening to another opinion without sprouting threats of hell.

At the end of the day we believe in the same things with exception of the supernatural.  :rolleyes:

seanfish

It's great to hear that you are a CS major. America needs more people interested in this field. There will be more and more demand for people like you in the near future.

Farroc

STOP!
He who would cross the Bridge of Death
Must answer me
These questions three
Ere the other side he see.

What...is your name?

What...is your quest?

What...is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks