News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Thoughts on Bronies

Started by Munch, October 24, 2014, 02:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

The funny thing is that the public really is warming up to female protagonists.  Movies/shows/video games like Frozen, Brave, Avatar: the legend of Korra, the Portal series, Tomb Raider, etc.  Hell, I hear they're even doing a female Assassin's Creed, despite not being able to animate women.  [/snark]  A lot of really big hits feature women, apparently without garnering half as much snears as mlp got.  So the "girly" accusation is simultaneously aggravating and baffling.

Yeah, I think the main issue is men behaving in stereotypical girly ways.  But the weird part is they're not, at least I'm not.  I mean, it's not like I watch the show and then I'm suddenly into fashion and tea parties.  My other interests are still very masculine.  Stuff like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones.

Even if I were a fan of only mlp, out of the 6 main characters, only two are actually stereotypically girly (Rarity and Fluttershy).  Two are very tomboyish (Rainbow Dash and Applejack), and the last two are somewhere in between (Twilight and Pinkie).  Maybe it's the idyllic setting or the moral lessons (don't be a dick, try to resolve conflicts peacefully, take other people's feelings into account, etc) but I really, really hope that stuff is universal.  All in all, I'd argue that the tv show isn't particularly girly, let alone the fandom.  Hell, an extremely popular part about the fandom (and my personal favorite mlp thing ever) is this fan story about a small but ferocious little unicorn who's basically an action hero in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.  Definitely not girly.

So yeah, it's hard for me to place where this girly accusation is coming from.  Seems more like a knee-jerk reaction than anything else.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 26, 2015, 01:54:50 PM
The funny thing is that the public really is warming up to female protagonists.  Movies/shows/video games like Frozen, Brave, Avatar: the legend of Korra, the Portal series, Tomb Raider, etc.  Hell, I hear they're even doing a female Assassin's Creed, despite not being able to animate women.  [/snark]  A lot of really big hits feature women, apparently without garnering half as much snears as mlp got.  So the "girly" accusation is simultaneously aggravating and baffling.

Yeah, I think the main issue is men behaving in stereotypical girly ways.  But the weird part is they're not, at least I'm not.  I mean, it's not like I watch the show and then I'm suddenly into fashion and tea parties.  My other interests are still very masculine.  Stuff like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones.

Even if I were a fan of only mlp, out of the 6 main characters, only two are actually stereotypically girly (Rarity and Fluttershy).  Two are very tomboyish (Rainbow Dash and Applejack), and the last two are somewhere in between (Twilight and Pinkie).  Maybe it's the idyllic setting or the moral lessons (don't be a dick, try to resolve conflicts peacefully, take other people's feelings into account, etc) but I really, really hope that stuff is universal.  All in all, I'd argue that the tv show isn't particularly girly, let alone the fandom.  Hell, an extremely popular part about the fandom (and my personal favorite mlp thing ever) is this fan story about a small but ferocious little unicorn who's basically an action hero in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.  Definitely not girly.

So yeah, it's hard for me to place where this girly accusation is coming from.  Seems more like a knee-jerk reaction than anything else.

Of course it is. You are right at everyting you said. And of course you are what you are and watching a cartoon is well, watching a cartoon you like. However, I don't think people even think about these things. They just you know, don't see it. Blindness.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

GrinningYMIR

Its true...people will see what they want to see..not the intrinsic values that it has to offer..
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

Just saw Tanks For The Memories.

[spoiler]We get to see more of Cloudsdale.  Apparently, it's a mobile city, which is weird considering it has always been depicted as just a few err...miles...kilometers...ummm...whatever pony unit of distance NW of Ponyville.  Also, weather control requires serious industry!  And it would definitely fail OSHA inspection.

Rainbow Dash:  "DO I LOOK ANGRY?!"  *super mad face*  She makes the funniest faces!  :D

Man, Dash was heartbroken about her pet!  I loved Applejack's stoicism in the face of the chain-reaction cryfest.  "Nope, I'm good."  :D

Am I the only one who still thinks that Dash made a bad pick in the pet department?  I know it rescued her and all that jazz, but she seems to require an extremely energetic flyer.  To the point that she'll drag it around if it's sleepy.  Seriously, some Weekend at Bernie's stuff is going on in this episode that would give Fluttershy conniptions if she saw it.  Makes me feel bad for the turtle.  Or tortoise.  Or whatever.

Also, WINTER IS COMING!!!!   :lol:  And they say this show is for little girls![/spoiler]

GrinningYMIR

Okay..well. One of my friends is a German brony, good guy..had a friend who was a pegasister and a dj, quite popular. I say had because about two months ago she was was raped and beaten to pieces and left to die. She died in hospital. It just came from the woman's former fiancé, the guy who had to come home from work and hear that his future wife was going to die, that she was targeted because she was a pegasister, a very vocal one.

That hit me really hard...no faith left in mankind after that. That's just monstrous

aitm

I really have no idea how one can be very vocal about a…cartoon. What was she vocal about? Did she stand on the corner and yell at people to watch the show? Seriously, i am not trying to make fun of the tragedy but what the hell does one do to be a pegasister that would piss someone off enough to harm her or anyone?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on May 02, 2015, 01:27:28 PM
Okay..well. One of my friends is a German brony, good guy..had a friend who was a pegasister and a dj, quite popular. I say had because about two months ago she was was raped and beaten to pieces and left to die. She died in hospital. It just came from the woman's former fiancé, the guy who had to come home from work and hear that his future wife was going to die, that she was targeted because she was a pegasister, a very vocal one.

That hit me really hard...no faith left in mankind after that. That's just monstrous

Unbelievable. how screwed up is our world that someone would be attacked for something so innocuous?

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: aitm on May 02, 2015, 10:47:40 PM
I really have no idea how one can be very vocal about a…cartoon. What was she vocal about? Did she stand on the corner and yell at people to watch the show? Seriously, i am not trying to make fun of the tragedy but what the hell does one do to be a pegasister that would piss someone off enough to harm her or anyone?

She just wore the clothing a lot and participated in the fandom, the dude was a supremacist who saw her as inferior

GrinningYMIR

GrinningYMIR

Hydra009

GrinningYMIR