Salt Lake City Gay Bar Mocking Mormonism

Started by stromboli, October 05, 2014, 12:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.kutv.com/news/features/featured/stories/SLC-club-raises-eyebrows-with-General-Conference-themed-party-45385.shtml#.VDFvavn1lhi

Quote(KUTV) Club Jam at 751 North and 300 West in Salt Lake City, has a naked statue of Moroni guarding the entrance; the workers are wearing missionary nametags and there are signs advertising things like 'sacrament shots' and 'garment droppers'.

Club management says it's their way of profiting from this weekend's LDS General Conference in Salt Lake City.

"We get a lot of out-of-towners, people just started showing up in their suits, wearing their former missionary name-badges and we decided to capitalize on it," says Megan Risbon, club manager.

Club Jam advertises itself as a gay bar. The establishment has been the venue for some controversial events in the past, but some are calling this weekend's party a desecration of things the religion holds sacred.

A Facebook page touts the event as the 'Missionary Position Conference Weekend Party'. It offers free entry to those wearing "garments, missionary nametags, or their missionary suit."

"We're not having people in garments dancing on the bar, we're not doing stuff like that, we're just having a good time," says Risbon.

While the bar says this type of event has been going on for years, at least one patron says this year they went too far.

"The gay community asks so much for tolerance and understanding of what they believe in," says Aubrie Scoffield, who frequently the club in the past. "They're not really broadcasting that to other people. Instead it just looks like they're mocking the LDS community in general."

Salt Lake's gay community is in the spotlight while the state fights a federal ruling legalizing same-sex marriage. Club Jam insists this event isn't meant to take a shot at the LDS church, or the state.

"That is funny to me because we are a bar, our whole purpose is to have a good time and that's exactly what we're doing," says Risbon.

At least one patron will think twice before going back to Club Jam.

"It's changed my views on what they as a club stand for," says Scoffield.

The LDS church weighed-in through a written statement by spokesperson, Dale Jones:

"In recent years many people in our community, including religious leaders and representatives of the LGBT community have worked hard to create greater understanding and develop more sensitivity and good will toward each other. It is sad to see events like this - deliberately designed to offend and alienate - given any kind of attention."

:rotflmao:

Gawdzilla Sama

Latest reports are that fifty Mormon officials went into the bar to investigate, and twenty-five couples came out.

Get it?

Came out.

Oh, come on. That was funny.

Well, fuck you then.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote"In recent years many people in our community, including religious leaders and representatives of the LGBT community have worked hard to create greater understanding and develop more sensitivity and good will toward each other. It is sad to see events like this - deliberately designed to offend and alienate - given any kind of attention."
I could be reading this all wrong and what I think the Morman translation means is: Why cant these goddammed queers stay in the closet like good Mormans who like to suck dicks and have butt sex without their wives finding out?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hakurei Reimu

"The gay community asks so much for tolerance and understanding of what they believe in," says Aubrie Scoffield, who frequently the club in the past. "They're not really broadcasting that to other people. Instead it just looks like they're mocking the LDS community in general."
You just branded yourself as stupid then, Scoffield. The smart guy just walks in and gets the free drink for dressing the way he was going to dress anyway.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

stromboli

Funny because the gay community in Utah is peopled by ex-Mormons, one of whom is a prominent lawyer and a BYU graduate. Turns out you pair young men and women missionaries in the field, put them in the same rooms together and they figure out just what their sexuality is. Many gay men and women among Mormons learned it that way.

Pretty tough sleeping in the bed across from your mission companion's bed and laying there all night with an erection while the other snores peacefully. What you call "confronted with the hard facts."  :flowers:  :biggrin:

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: stromboli on October 06, 2014, 12:53:09 AM
Funny because the gay community in Utah is peopled by ex-Mormons, one of whom is a prominent lawyer and a BYU graduate. Turns out you pair young men and women missionaries in the field, put them in the same rooms together and they figure out just what their sexuality is. Many gay men and women among Mormons learned it that way.

Pretty tough sleeping in the bed across from your mission companion's bed and laying there all night with an erection while the other snores peacefully. What you call "confronted with the hard facts."  :flowers:  :biggrin:
Oh c'mon man.. Everyone knows there's no such thing as ex-morman/gay.. IIRC Utah has a major freeway running from San Francisco to NY. Plenty of cars break down along the way...gay cars. :lol: 

SGOS

My main reason for going to Salt Lake City was because it was a major hub for Delta Airlines, where I would lay over for two hours on my way to someplace else.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: SGOS on October 06, 2014, 07:28:21 AM
My main reason for going to Salt Lake City was because it was a major hub for Delta Airlines, where I would lay over for two hours on my way to someplace else.
Key word being lay there..  Uh huh... We know now..

stromboli

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 05, 2014, 07:29:42 PM
Latest reports are that fifty Mormon officials went into the bar to investigate, and twenty-five couples came out.

Get it?

Came out.

Oh, come on. That was funny.

Well, fuck you then.

I thought so.  :clap: :biggrin: :clap:

Munch

Quote"The gay community asks so much for tolerance and understanding of what they believe in," says Aubrie Scoffield, who frequently the club in the past. "They're not really broadcasting that to other people. Instead it just looks like they're mocking the LDS community in general."

Given what Mormons believe about gay people and how its a condition that can be cured, the only acceptance I would have for any mormon is for them to realize how stupid there faith is and apologize for following it.

Mormons Prop 8, which "Eliminates Right of Same-Sex Couples to Marry" Initiative, yeah, that shows how much mormons are tolerant of others

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

The Skeletal Atheist

I've seen some hot Mormon missionaries and I always wondered. Unfortunately I've never had luck with the "answering the door naked and inviting them in for personal gospel study" routine.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

stromboli

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on October 07, 2014, 08:26:51 PM
I've seen some hot Mormon missionaries and I always wondered. Unfortunately I've never had luck with the "answering the door naked and inviting them in for personal gospel study" routine.

Saw a couple today that would've probably piqued your interest. Nice looking young men. Wearing matching sweaters, no less. Could've been a gay couple.   :biggrin:

Yeah, just saw a prop 8 movie on HBO that showed when the decision was handed down by SCOTUS after a long fight. Actually brought tears to my eyes. The 2 women who filed the lawsuit, together for 40 years, finally able to marry.
http://guardianlv.com/2014/06/california-hbos-movie-on-prop-8/

this is a movie everyone should see. The joy in the people who could finally be married, and the obvious joy in the California Attorney General and legislators who were in agreement with the gay couples was  really uplifting.

I love the whole thing because it is backward minded, 18th century Mormons being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Beautiful.