News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Watched the first episode of Into the Night. Interesting premise.

LoriPinkAngel

We finished the seasons that have been recorded of Barry.  Quite a cliffhanger.  Now we are watching The Sopranos.  My son is flabbergasted that the women on the show are so attracted to Tony.

Hydra009

I just watched the Clone Wars series finale.  Excellent doesn't even begin to describe it.  Quite a few of its frames were noticeably artistic and the music was top notch.  Every element clicked.  This was a TV show that felt more like a miniature movie.

In all seriousness, Dave Filoni needs to be in charge of every Star Wars project from here on out.

drunkenshoe

I think the series I have enjoyed lately is Gervais' After Life. Living with Yourself is good but I haven't seen it all. Kominsky Method and A Good Place are funny, light, I haven't finished them either though.

Almost all of the series and movies from every genre looks like some sort of a derivative of each other to me, so the plain, traditional stuff started to look better, I guess.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW3JxUZpiYk

This is why I love south park. When it comes to bringing up issues of any social and political subject, I would always look to southpark as the good middle ground on most issues.
On the subject of immigration they have always been middle ground on it, such as the goobacks episode where it highlights perfectly the two opposing sides of aging hippie liberal douche and pissed off white trash redneck conservative, basically making fun of both sides of any political argument in america.
And thats what I love about it, south park takes the piss out of everything, there is often no right or wrong answers, so its worth just making fun of both sides of any debate, grounding them more.

the funny part is the comment section who downloaded the video because they became offended at having their interpretation of the symbolism in these episodes brought into question. The premise of south park is, like say, they will take the piss out of everything, often leaving enough room on one side to have its point stick, never having an absolute.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

That Mexican Joker gag was hilarious.

"¡No eres mi papa!"

"Si! ¿E tu?"
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

drunkenshoe

I've discovered The Windsors. Honestly, I thought I wouldn't be able to watch it for 5 minutes. Well, what do you know?  It's a good bashing of the British royal family and it is actually funny. I'm surprised they let this happen considering how conservative that establishment is. Needlessly to say, it is not for people who are interested in the family or fans of this kind of industry... LOL
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

GSOgymrat

I watched Hollywood on Netflix and finished feeling a bit disappointed. The series is a star-studded 1940's Hollywood fantasy of what would happen if a Jewish woman could be a studio executive, a black man could write a major motion picture, an interracial couple could lead that picture, and gay men could be open about their relationships. It's very entertaining as a sexy, campy drama but when it tries to draw from historical events, harsh history makes the fantasy story feel like it is trivializing what real people actually experienced. It includes famous people but usually only as touchstones to reinforce the message of inclusion. Rock Hudson is a major character but he's so retconned that I found it distracting. I enjoyed the series as a wish-fulfillment fantasy but it made me yearn for a documentary. I wonder if young views even understand how fanciful this story is, that these 1940's characters have 2020 sensibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XygNJfBl3Oo

Sal1981

Netflix's Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency season 2 sort of ended on a cliffhanger, but there will be no season 3 sadly. I kinda liked the whole reality-bending spin. - 9/10 very entertaining.

LoriPinkAngel

Arrested Development is our latest binge.  We are watching the antics of the Bluths.

trdsf

My ex was a huge fan of Arrested Development, but I could never get into it.  Ditto his other obsessions, Seinfeld and The Simpsons.  I mean, I didn't complain when he put them on, but neither did I really pay much attention.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Deidre32

Have been following Reckoning, and also Defending Jacob on Apple TV. I'd recommend them, but they're not wow or anything.
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Baruch

Quote from: Deidre32 on May 19, 2020, 12:06:53 AM
Have been following Reckoning, and also Defending Jacob on Apple TV. I'd recommend them, but they're not wow or anything.

Crime dramas.  Do they handle the "mystery reveal" well?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

lol, Ruby Rose either quit or was fired from Batwoman. And Warner bros are looking to recast the character for season 2.

They should just accept the icebergs already hit and the boats sinking. What good is recasting a main actress in a lead role one season on, fans won't feel the chemistry with the new actress and the new one won't have that chemistry with the rest of the cast.

Funnest part is how LGBT fans were complaining that she wasn't gay enough.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on May 20, 2020, 11:02:15 PMlol, Ruby Rose either quit or was fired from Batwoman.