News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_antithesis

So, let's talk about Velma.

It is fucking terrible. I cannot watch more than a few minutes before I need to turn it off. I watched two reviews that quit after episode 2, which was all that was out at the time and both said they will not watch anymore. Episode 4 is out at time of writing and I gave it a shot to see if the humor improves at all, and no it fucking doesn't. I am wondering if Mindy Kaling was always this terrible and why is she famous if she is this unfunny. Because these are not jokes. I cannot help but think that whoever writes this shit must be conservative trying to write a "woke" tv series because this is what a conservative thinks a liberal would think is funny. It's not funny. I cannot state that enough. The pilot had crude sexuality and then tried to make lampshading it into a joke, but it isn't funny. The fourth episode I saw part of had Velma complaining about white privilege or something over a couple scenes and it is also not funny. It's just griping. And not funny. Apparently, the plot is some kind of murder mystery thing and the principle of the high school puts up a banner that says "two weeks without a murder," and then another murder victim is discovered and he said, "That's a $10,000 banner down the drain." That's not funny. That's not even stupid. It's lame. Stupid has its dumb charm and that was devoid of charm. I don't know if anyone is watching this shit, but I hope their eyeballs implode. This may be the worst comedy I have seen since the Ghostbusters remake where the first joke was the words "face bidet." That's not funny. It's lame. So is Velma. I hope it gets cancelled like My Mother the Car.

GSOgymrat

I've heard from multiple sources Velma is godawful. I don't have HBO, so I wasn't tempted to watch.

Blackleaf

The Velma series makes fun of "adults who still watch cartoons."

Like, who is this show for? Because it's clearly not for fans of the original show. lol
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 22, 2023, 06:26:45 AMThe Velma series makes fun of "adults who still watch cartoons."

Like, who is this show for? Because it's clearly not for fans of the original show. lol
I read that it was purposefully designed as rage-bait to stoke "controversy" for views.  Even a lot of the early criticism (like before it was even out early) was posted by employees pretending to be the general public.

So really, the only people it's for are the suits.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Meh, there's a glut of better stuff out there worthy of attention.  Hell, there's web animation for free that's way better.

Introducing...Murder Drones, a sci-fi comedy horror!

Pros:
Fantastic setting, rife with adventure opportunities and an air of mystery (a great place to start a story)
Unreliable narrator trope in full effect (but that's just a theory, a film theory...)
Lots of murder, they're not kidding with that title
Great character design (most expressive robot eyes I've ever seen)
Don't be fooled by the adorable characters, this show has plenty of nightmare fuel
Cake??

Cons:
Some of the jokes are kinda meh
Not sure if the internal logic holds up (why do they have hair?  Or bandages?  Though, in time, all might be explained...)

Hydra009

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 22, 2023, 03:29:53 PMI read that it was purposefully designed as rage-bait to stoke "controversy" for views.  Even a lot of the early criticism (like before it was even out early) was posted by employees pretending to be the general public.

So really, the only people it's for are the suits.

And Karling's weird fetish with being a P.o.S. it seems.

Also, the R&M thing is interesting to me... people are just now finding out both him and Harmon are terrible people? I feel like they have been pretty upfront and open about that for as long as I've watched them, certainly Harmon.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

I mean, I don't exactly do background checks before I turn on the Delug- TV.

The only reason I know the names is because of the credits.

I was watching Joker reviews and one of the critics blasted the movie because of gripes with the director from previous movies.  I had seen the movie multiple times and still had no idea who the director was or or any previous films or why any of that stuff could possibly matter.

So no, I didn't see any of this stuff coming.  Justin Roiland not only is charged with felony domestic violence, but he's apparently also been sending some creepy texts on Twitter to a minor.  That's not just bad, that's King Jellybean bad.  Like BAD bad.

Obviously, Adult Swim is right to drop him, but damn, this is going to have a huge impact on the show.  It's not like he voiced Bird Person.  He voiced the titular characters.  That's not just something you can paper over.  I hope the show can soldier on, but damn, that's a big hit.  And of course, a lot of fans are going to leave no matter what and there will always be some amount of dislike for the new direction along with a resurgence of Fascist Morty "I only like Classic R&M" sentiment.

In the grand scheme of things, it seems petty to complain about this, but I've watched several really great scifi series nosedive recently.  All I want is for like 3 really good scifi series to be on the air on the same week.  You can't throw a rock without hitting 200 reality tv shows, docutaintment series, home improvement shows, true crime, CSI: North Fairbrook, season 227 of Bob (the show no one wanted), and the remake of the reimagining of the very hungry caterpillar.  All I want is a tiny sliver of the pie to go towards outlandish, creative stuff instead of...you know, garbage.  Is that too much to ask?

the_antithesis

Creativity doesn't sell, man.   

Blackleaf

Can't fucking enjoy anything. Somebody always ruins it. It's almost like celebrities aren't good people, or something.
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

After hearing some damn near perfect impersonations of the characters Rick and Morty, I now think it'd be very possible to paper over losing the original VA.  And it'd be pretty easy to explain in-universe, if they decide address it at all.

Rick was too right when he said that he's a lot like Doctor Who.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 25, 2023, 01:24:03 PMAfter hearing some damn near perfect impersonations of the characters Rick and Morty, I now think it'd be very possible to paper over losing the original VA.  And it'd be pretty easy to explain in-universe, if they decide address it at all.

Rick was too right when he said that he's a lot like Doctor Who.

Wasn't he one of the two major creative minds of the show? Maybe the other guy can pull the weight, but there's a risk it may lose its unique style of dark humor and creativity.

Maybe Rick & Morty wasn't meant to go on forever, though. When it first started, it seemed like the plot was more important than it is now. Like it had an intended beginning, middle, and end, until Adult Swim realized what a goldmine they had and pressured the writers to milk it indefinitely.
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Au contraire, it has gotten a lot more serial as time goes on.

In fact, the last season started and closed introducing a new arc revolving around Rick Prime.  And the Evil Morty arc is still ongoing.  So there are several irons in the fire.

Hydra009

The Last Of Us (TV show)

The premier didn't blow me away, but I liked it.  7/10.

The scene where they're fleeing from Texas was pretty cool, and reminiscent of the initial zombie outbreak in Telltale's The Walking Dead and probably The Last Of Us video game (I haven't played the games)

Though it seems that whenever things are finally getting good, the show always has to pull back and go to some slow, hum-drum scene.  There are certainly pacing issues. 

Phenomenal setwork, very immersive.  Decent acting.  I don't particularly like any of the characters.  Pretty bland dialogue and plot and setting, unfortunately.  I really hope there's a big plot hook coming or some very heartfelt moments ahead, or I won't make it till the end.

Also, I wouldn't be me if I didn't criticize the base premise - a fungal mutation causing a pandemic causing the collapse of civilization.  For starters, that speaker is wrong about fungi not being able to survive in warm temperatures - fungi can and do adapt to warm temperatures - lots of em already infect humans and humans are quite warm.  But those kinds of infections are typically not very dangerous.  It would take a hell of a mutation to bump those up to a cordyceps-level threat.  Secondly, fungal infections aren't very transmissible, so a pandemic is unlikely.  Besides, people and governments have learned their lesson from covid and take a lot of precaut-- *laughs* never mind, scratch that.

But damn, they start blasting each other quick.  I dunno about you guys, but it seems strange for people to be so cutthroat so fast.  Rick in TWD only started abandoning people after a couple of years of playing nice and sometimes regretting it.  Joel does it on day 1.  Super coldhearted.

Generally speaking, the show's duo are both fairly unsympathetic people, so it's tough for me to sympathize with their plight, which so far is little more than go west.