What are you listening to? Part II (The Revengening)

Started by Agramon, February 15, 2013, 02:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassia

Gotta be a repro mellotron she is playing there in 'Lord Huron'. each key activates a mini tape player. The Beatles used them..not to mention the mini bass guitar, suitcase bass drums...and I thought I was hip with my analogue synth.

Shiranu

It feels weird to link this song by itself as it's really a two-parter, so short reasoning...

tl;dr - Kendrick's album Good Kid, M.a.a.D. City talks of his life growing in Compton and how gang warfare, prostitutes, discrimination, drug use and running with the wrong crowd can turn even a good kid into a horrible human being.

Longer - "Good Kid" is a soulful, retro-inspired track talking about the straw that broke the camel's back (as well as his own desire to work hard and escape this world), and in the final chorus you can hear his voice change from "his" voice to his gangster persona - the next song on the album, "M.a.a.D. City" sees him fully embrace the violent lifestyle that had been tearing at him for the first half of the album.

Second one might not be everyone's cup of tea (more "modern rap" sounding), but the first one is just an amazingly well crafted piece with a hook sung by Pharrell... who I generally cant, but like with his tracks with Daft Punk... they just work.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Shiranu

The king returns.

Edit - the more I listen to it, the more I realise what a masterpiece this is going to be; this one single is already on some Daft Punk level of retro-grove and quality, and Kendrick is spitting his heart out like a preacher to tell a story that ain't popular to hear (that racism is still alive and making life legitimate hell for millions in America, and here are the examples how we are affected by it and make it worse ourselves with our violence).

It's proof that experimenting and going "out-there" still has a place in the mainstream rather than just copy-v, copy-p for 99% of songs... even if it ain't your thing.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

the_antithesis

Shiranu

I wonder how many in the crowd knew what they were in for lol.

Shiranu

I don't even know what to call this, it's just... synthy, and groove-y... gives me some Matrix/Prodigy/Aphex Twins (I think) vibes.

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Shiranu

More groovy-retro game inspired funky, synthy stuff with fun melodies.

Cassia

Nice....All hail the sawtooth waveform...

Shiranu

Whoever directing Kendrick's videos ( Dave Free & Kendrick Lamar actually) need so much more respect, these things are short films they are filmed so well.

Quote" Let's think about this for a second (let's go)
Tell me what you would do for aesthetic (let's go)
Would you sell your soul on credit? (let's go)
Would you sell your bro for leverage? (let's go) "

Cassia

drunkenshoe