News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Ask a Catholic

Started by CatholicCrusader, July 19, 2014, 08:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibliofagus

Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Tornadoes caused: 2, maybe 3.

Contemporary Protestant

Whats your opinion on the description of heavens gates in revelation, hint, peter isnt the gate keeper,

And what is your opinion on the book Hebrews

Lastly, i dont put faith in martin luther, i simply dont trust organized religion, especially on an extremley large scale

CatholicCrusader

thanks be to God! There is a Protestant here.  you don't trust organized religion?

I can see why.

I'll answer more questions later folks my phone is about to die any second now.

Contemporary Protestant

Im going to be honest, i dont like your attitude, you act like catholicism is superior

leo

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on August 01, 2014, 07:59:11 PM
Im going to be honest, i dont like your attitude, you act like catholicism is superior
But atleast the catholic dude answer us how often he crap and fart in the first pages  of the thread.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Munch

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on August 01, 2014, 07:52:12 PM
thanks be to God! There is a Protestant here. you don't trust organized religion?

I can see why.

I'll answer more questions later folks my phone is about to die any second now.

You do remember this is an atheist forum, right? You act like your being ganged up on without provocation, but you walked into an atheist setting and started to preach stuff, so don't act like your not deserving of some ridicule here.

An atheist doesn't walk into a church, tell people what they believe is false, and then expects people in the church to back him or come to his aid, its called a community for a reason.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on August 01, 2014, 07:59:11 PM
I think the fundamental riff between Catholicism and the Protestantism is that Luther advocated becoming involved in your own salvation, and believed you must build a personal relationship with your savior, rather than with your priest or the faceless dogma of your church.  For Catholics, its more about letting the church do the work for you.  Just say whatever magic words the priest requires and you're home free.

If you truly believe in salvation, I would think it's much too important to leave in the hands of a bunch of degenerates.  Protestantism is less organized than Catholicism in that regard, yet within the small sects, organization and groupthink most certainly does exist.

leo

Forget about Catholicism and Protestantism. The true faith is toothfairysm.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Munch

Quote from: leo on August 02, 2014, 11:51:06 AM
Forget about Catholicism and Protestantism. The true faith is toothfairysm.

but she expects the pain of losing ones tooth in exchange for gifts.

with Santarysm, santa delivers you presents for not slapping your little brother, and gives guys like rolf harris coal shoved up his ass.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on August 02, 2014, 11:57:23 AM
but she expects the pain of losing ones tooth in exchange for gifts.
Weren't we recently informed in another thread that we must suffer in order to grow and become better people?

Nam

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on August 01, 2014, 04:04:52 PM
I know what I meant and you will read what I meant not only in that post but in previous posts if you'd like me to give you the quotes or the number of the post I will , but I'd rather you just went back and figure it out for yourself.

tell me that I am lying in this post and I will prove you wrong.

your statement was false and I know that with a complete 100 percent certainty.

Troll.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Nam

Quote from: SGOS on August 02, 2014, 07:54:35 AM
I think the fundamental riff between Catholicism and the Protestantism is that Luther advocated becoming involved in your own salvation, and believed you must build a personal relationship with your savior, rather than with your priest or the faceless dogma of your church.  For Catholics, its more about letting the church do the work for you.  Just say whatever magic words the priest requires and you're home free while you give them your life savings.

If you truly believe in salvation, I would think it's much too important to leave in the hands of a bunch of degenerates.  Protestantism is less organized than Catholicism in that regard, yet within the small sects, organization and groupthink most certainly does exist.

Fixed the end of your first paragraph.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

CatholicCrusader

Quote from: Poison Tree on August 01, 2014, 06:56:24 PM
So you are surrendering moral compass. But why? Why does god, especially via the bible, get to make moral decisions, and not you? What do you do when your personal views conflict with what you are told god wants you to do, just close your eyes, hold your nose and to with the flow?
I'm not surrendering my moral compass. I have an opinion on these issues and I think what I see the Israelites doing in the Old Testament is absolutely wrong.  I also think that God should have simply spoken to people and help them understand and give them a new heart like he said he would rather than just flood the whole world.

when my views contradicted those of God or the church, I remember the greatest commandment to do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and what our Lord said about salvation in Matthew 25. I was hungry and you gave me to eat in, thirsty and you gave me to drink, sick and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me, in need of clothing and you clothed.

the Bible commands us to do many things which I don't understand it but I also remember that the greatest commandment is love and to treat others well , so if it is the greatest commandment , the other commandments have less importance.

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on August 01, 2014, 06:41:17 PM
Martin Luther removed 7 books that had been in the canon of the Christian Bible for almost 1200 years prior to his decision.
Bullshit. Luther's entire point with breaking with the Catholic church was that the Bible was the only revealed truth of God, whereas the Catholic priesthood would add to it and thus distort it. Why would he change what he thought was the word of God?

It is true that the Luther bible (finished in 1534) is different from the Vulgate, but you are wrong that Luther omitted books that had been canon for 1200 prior â€" there really was no authorative Catholic canon until after Luther's bible in the Council of Trent (1545-63) in response to the Protestant reformation. That implies that the Catholic canon up until that point wasn't as inviolate as you claim.

Martin Luther was cognizant enough to realize that just because the Catholic church said something didn't make it true. He didn't realize that the same principle applied to the Bible.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Poison Tree

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on August 02, 2014, 03:00:13 PM
I'm not surrendering my moral compass.
You said:
Quote from: CatholicCrusader on August 01, 2014, 03:47:36 PM
if scripture didn't say so I certainly would not believe that such an action [torturing an innocent dumb animal] were a good thing. Apparently God believes in to be the solution.
If this isn't an admission that you are suppressing your own morals what is it?
Then
Quote from: CatholicCrusader on August 01, 2014, 06:40:05 PM
God gets to decide what's right and what's wrong, not me. 
Sure reads like you are throwing away your ability to judge morality.

when my views contradicted those of God or the church, I remember the greatest commandment to do unto others as you would have them do unto you,
And when, in your view, the actions of god or the church go against this greatest commandment?

I have an opinion on these issues and I think what I see the Israelites doing in the Old Testament is absolutely wrong.  I also think that God should have simply spoken to people and help them understand and give them a new heart like he said he would rather than just flood the whole world.
Good. But what is your explanation for why god's orders in the OT were so contrary to this greatest commandment? What do you have to say against the explanation provided by Catharism?
Oh, how silly of me; You'd just tell them that you have 2000 years of popes.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide