News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Ask a Catholic

Started by CatholicCrusader, July 19, 2014, 08:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

To say that anyone was a mass murderer because they were an atheist is the same as proclaiming that trousers are the reason people have legs. One does not follow on the other. People commit murder and mass murder for any number of reasons, and likewise any number of excuses. Mass murder committed by Russian Pogroms or Spanish Inquisitions was perhaps excused by a belief system, but political and other reasons were involved as well.

There is no atheist dictum speaking of violent action against any other tribe, sect or culture. There are dictums in judaism and Islam that do speak against other cultures and beliefs. Christians had no problem executing people they saw as pagan or immoral as well.

Lachish

Quote from: stromboli on September 11, 2014, 08:36:22 PM
To say that anyone was a mass murderer because they were an atheist is the same as proclaiming that trousers are the reason people have legs. One does not follow on the other. People commit murder and mass murder for any number of reasons, and likewise any number of excuses. Mass murder committed by Russian Pogroms or Spanish Inquisitions was perhaps excused by a belief system, but political and other reasons were involved as well.

There is no atheist dictum speaking of violent action against any other tribe, sect or culture. There are dictums in judaism and Islam that do speak against other cultures and beliefs. Christians had no problem executing people they saw as pagan or immoral as well.

So what you just described paints Christianity and atheism in the same light. Neither should have a focus on death and destruction, but both have done more killing than those who you claimed had tenants to kill.

stromboli

read it again.

QuoteThere is no atheist dictum speaking of violent action against any other tribe, sect or culture.

There is in the Christian Bible.

Quote“This is what the Lord Almighty says... ‘Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” (1 Samuel 15:3

“Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

There is no dictum or text written to atheists that condones in any way violence towards others. Any actions taken by an atheist are not based on any such dictum. If, on the other hand, a person attacks a religion to claim that religion is evil and must be purged, they do that of their own choosing. THERE IS NO WRITTEN DICTUM IN ATHEISM PROCLAIMING VIOLENCE AGAINST OTHERS.

Solitary

It's not as if there haven't been atheists that have killed, but I fail to see why anyone would kill because they don't believe in supernatural nonsense. That makes absolutely no sense at all, and is nonsense in its self. I don't believe in Santa, so I just have to go out and kill now?  :wall: Solitary 
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Lachish

Quote from: Solitary on September 15, 2014, 02:34:05 PM
It's not as if there haven't been atheists that have killed, but I fail to see why anyone would kill because they don't believe in supernatural nonsense. That makes absolutely no sense at all, and is nonsense in its self. I don't believe in Santa, so I just have to go out and kill now?  :wall: Solitary

it's about power and control.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Lachish on September 15, 2014, 09:15:40 PM
And that is why Constantine adopted Christianity as  the Roman official religion.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

stromboli

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 15, 2014, 10:14:47 PM
And that is why Constantine adopted Christianity as  the Roman official religion.

And once again, QED.

PickelledEggs

Hi Lachish!

I don't think we got an intro from you. Would you mind telling us a bit about yourself in the intro section:biggrin:

Johan

Right exactly. Its about power and control period. Atheism has nothing to do with it.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Munch

Atheism is the absent of being indoctrinated from a cult following. And while we do have such things as this here community website, I consider my standing as an atheist to be my own individual thought. 

The only issue I found does come from these organised atheist groups that present themselves like a church, which as its been reported appears to be where those who became athiests but couldn't give up the whole communion preaching bullshit. Some people can't get it out of their heads and need someone to order them around, even without religious dogma, which more highlights a psychological problem for them.

Luckily I've never been in a position of being forced into indoctrinated circles, so have never felt the overwhelming need to have a preacher yell at me.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mike Cl

Quote from: Munch on September 16, 2014, 07:59:14 AM
Atheism is the absent of being indoctrinated from a cult following. And while we do have such things as this here community website, I consider my standing as an atheist to be my own individual thought. 

The only issue I found does come from these organised atheist groups that present themselves like a church, which as its been reported appears to be where those who became athiests but couldn't give up the whole communion preaching bullshit. Some people can't get it out of their heads and need someone to order them around, even without religious dogma, which more highlights a psychological problem for them.

Luckily I've never been in a position of being forced into indoctrinated circles, so have never felt the overwhelming need to have a preacher yell at me.

Munch, I agree with what you said.  But let me amplify a bit.  There are a number of people who like the communal feeling of belonging and a church has traditionally been one of those places one could go to to get that feeling.  A feeling of belonging can be found in other places, such as the military or gangs.  Or the local bridge club or chess club, or the like.  These places are a huge magnet for the sheeple, no doubt and can be found in all of those places.  But not all who go are sheeple, but they still like a place for companionship.  Not all churches are stamped in the traditional mold, such as the Universalist movement and some humanist groups meet in church like settings.  Traditional churches are traditionally social gatherings; organized religion taints it with whatever brand of mind control they use.  An athiest who likes social groups finds that churches, of course, does not fit the bill.  So some form their own brand of gathering.  I think that is a good thing.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Munch

Yeah agreed, its not just the religious minded who feels this way, many people might want to feel part of a community, and finding it that is of their own belief and following is what leads them to it.

I don't follow that myself now. As a gay guy, I use to like hanging around the local gay groups where I live with its community, a weekly get together at a bar or meeting hall to socialize. But even that for me got old and I gave up.
It is understandable people wanting to feel like they have a community, and that has always been one of the pulling factors of any religious group.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mike Cl

I hear ya, Munch.  I've spent time in groups--the Army, churches, game groups.  Right now I just go my own way.  That may change--or not.

St Giordano Bruno

Why is the Church so obsessed with such a narrow band of issues such a contraception and homosexuality and how people behave the privacy of their own bedrooms?
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

Lachish

Quote from: Johan on September 16, 2014, 07:02:27 AM
Right exactly. Its about power and control period. Atheism has nothing to do with it.

It does in so much that authoritarian nations lead by atheists have generally been significantly more violent (based on their actions in the 20th century when they were at their peak) than their religious counterparts. It's a lot easier to assert control without having the need to be quite as violent when you bring religion into the equation.