Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Ridiculous!

Started by Nam, July 19, 2014, 08:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmpty

???  ??

Desdinova

I speak from experience here.  With the exception of herion, ecstasy, meth and a few others I have tried it all.  Tobacco is by far the most addictive, at least for me.  I never became addicted to alcohol.  I can drink a beer or crown for weeks on end and then stop and then never touch the stuff for months.  I can smoke pot every day for a month and then quit with no problems at all.  In my early days I've dropped acid like its pez and never once had a jones for more. I've never binged on anything else like painkillers or speed so I can't say what would have happened there.  I don't do any of that other stuff anymore.  Don't want to and don't need to.  I might have an occassional beer and that's it.  But tobacco I have never been able to stop.  I think it depends on the individual.  Some people are more succeptible to becoming addited to alcohol than others.  One person might find cocaine extremely addicting while others may not.  Maybe its your body or brain chemistry or something.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Jmpty

Is chocolate ice cream more addictive than vanilla ice cream?
???  ??

Desdinova

Quote from: Jmpty on August 06, 2014, 11:38:40 AM
Is chocolate ice cream more addictive than vanilla ice cream?

Only when snorted.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Nam

Quote from: Desdinova on August 06, 2014, 10:49:40 AM
I speak from experience here.  With the exception of herion, ecstasy, meth and a few others I have tried it all.  Tobacco is by far the most addictive, at least for me.  I never became addicted to alcohol.  I can drink a beer or crown for weeks on end and then stop and then never touch the stuff for months.  I can smoke pot every day for a month and then quit with no problems at all.  In my early days I've dropped acid like its pez and never once had a jones for more. I've never binged on anything else like painkillers or speed so I can't say what would have happened there.  I don't do any of that other stuff anymore.  Don't want to and don't need to.  I might have an occassional beer and that's it.  But tobacco I have never been able to stop.  I think it depends on the individual.  Some people are more succeptible to becoming addited to alcohol than others.  One person might find cocaine extremely addicting while others may not.  Maybe its your body or brain chemistry or something.

Like you, I've taken many drugs. The drugs I'm addicted to is tobacco, caffeine, and morphine. I haven't had an alcoholic beverage since 10/11/08 (brother got married) before that January 2000. I haven't had marijuana since 2001, morphine since 2003  and every other illegal drug I've taken since 1998.

It's different for different people, I guess.

-Nam.
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Munch

I use to be a serious caffeine addict, I'd drink like 3-5 cups of coffee a day. It was when I started to get high blood pressure and felt mild heart palpitations that I made a choice to lessen myself, down to 1 coffee a day.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Nam

Quote from: Munch on August 09, 2014, 06:51:02 AM
I use to be a serious caffeine addict, I'd drink like 3-5 cups of coffee a day. It was when I started to get high blood pressure and felt mild heart palpitations that I made a choice to lessen myself, down to 1 coffee a day.

I'm a soda/tea drinker; not a coffee drinker.

-Nam

Mermaid

Quote from: Jmpty on August 06, 2014, 10:16:16 AM
http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=004477

Interesting. I repeat: Addiction to cigarettes results in 50% of users dying from it.
88,000 people die annually from alcohol use.
443,000 people die annually from tobacco use.

Both of these numbers are horribly high.

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/tables/health/attrdeaths/index.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cdc%2FGEla+%28CDC+-+Smoking+and+Tobacco+Use+-+Main+Feed%29

http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/alcohol-facts-and-statistics

80-90% of people who smoke become addicted.
http://www.healtheducation.uci.edu/tobacco/socialsmoking.aspx

I can't find (or am too lazy to look very hard) any credible statistic on the percent of people who consume any alcohol that become addicts.

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Nam

Alcohol is nonaddictive. People can, and quite frequently abuse alcohol. You'll find websites and/or studies saying that's a myth; they call it "selective addiction" -- meaning: long term use can equate to a psychological addiction. By that logic billions of people are addicted to food, sex, breathing etc.,

There are no percentages on alcohol addiction because it's a fallacy. They use "alcohol abuse", or what the opinions of family members/friends state about those who abuse alcohol, crime related statistics involving alcohol, and medical treatment.

It's pretty much like those against cigarettes using every death by cancer having solely be about cigarettes when many times there's no relation.

-Nam

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Mermaid on August 09, 2014, 10:40:12 AM
Interesting. I repeat: Addiction to cigarettes results in 50% of users dying from it.
88,000 people die annually from alcohol use.
443,000 people die annually from tobacco use.

Both of these numbers are horribly high.

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/tables/health/attrdeaths/index.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cdc%2FGEla+%28CDC+-+Smoking+and+Tobacco+Use+-+Main+Feed%29

http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/alcohol-facts-and-statistics

80-90% of people who smoke become addicted.
http://www.healtheducation.uci.edu/tobacco/socialsmoking.aspx

I can't find (or am too lazy to look very hard) any credible statistic on the percent of people who consume any alcohol that become addicts.
Wow...  :/ I knew that number was high, but not that high...

It's basically a flip of a coin....  :(

Sent from your mom

Jmpty

Quote from: Nam on August 09, 2014, 11:36:58 AM
Alcohol is nonaddictive. People can, and quite frequently abuse alcohol. You'll find websites and/or studies saying that's a myth; they call it "selective addiction" -- meaning: long term use can equate to a psychological addiction. By that logic billions of people are addicted to food, sex, breathing etc.,

There are no percentages on alcohol addiction because it's a fallacy. They use "alcohol abuse", or what the opinions of family members/friends state about those who abuse alcohol, crime related statistics involving alcohol, and medical treatment.

It's pretty much like those against cigarettes using every death by cancer having solely be about cigarettes when many times there's no relation.

-Nam

I know, right? That's why people die from alcohol withdrawal.
???  ??

Hydra009

Quote from: Mermaid on August 09, 2014, 10:40:12 AMI can't find (or am too lazy to look very hard) any credible statistic on the percent of people who consume any alcohol that become addicts.
Me neither.  Best I can do is binge/heavy drinking statistics.

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

Quote from: Jmpty on August 09, 2014, 12:00:45 PM
I know, right? That's why people die from alcohol withdrawal.
Me neither. The numbers are pretty huge.

I have had a hard time trying to articulate the idea that alcohol is a pleasure-recreational thing, while smoking has no redeeming value. It's simply a smelly, expensive addiction. Cigarettes are bad always. Alcohol is bad in excess.