Ridiculous!

Started by Nam, July 19, 2014, 08:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmpty

How is tobacco different than alcohol?
???  ??

Nam

Quote from: Berati on August 05, 2014, 08:32:44 AM
The same ones were new when I brought them up. They were ignored so I brought them up again.
There are not that many facts to either side of this debate. It will come down to a judgement call.

You started off by bringing up your opinion based on the facts of your life. I did the same thing so I can't see how you can object to this.
We are discussing the United States. The ads I listed were indicated as National ads, as were the surgeon general warnings and the labelling on cigarette packs. If you live in the US then all of it applies to you as well.

Did you read the rules and guidelines to this website before joining? Not to say, in that case, adults aren't responsible but a child doesn't read such things.

QuoteI never denied this evidence, I just disagree as to the consequences of a clip art project. The bans were placed on radio and television as this is where children were most likely to see them. They continued in magazines as children are not usually exposed to them. Not many kids read GQ, or Time. It doesn't mean that they will never ever hear of the existence of cigarettes but I don't agree that hearing about the existence of cigarettes entitles anyone to claim their smoking is the fault of someone else.

Like Time magazine or similar were the only magazines out there back then.

QuoteI agree that we are repeating ourselves but it's not just me. As I stated, even if we agree on all the facts we can still disagree on what to do about it. If you want to hate on me because I refuse to fall in line, go ahead. I think this topic has been exhausted.

Hate? Please...

Mississippi is a good example: it has no ACA. Many people there says it's evil, discourage their citizens from getting healthcare -- don't you think the same could be said for when cigarette companies had to stop promoting in certain venues that they used (by buying them off) the state to promote cigarettes to people. "The liberals say it's bad but we know it's not..." or some crap?

Just because we live in the same country doesn't mean we live in the same society.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Aurelia

Quote from: doorknob on July 22, 2014, 03:17:31 PM
interesting. How many people here would legalize pot I wonder.

I would.  It's natural, unless it's laced.
It helps, along with pain med., with the pain in my feet from being diabetic. I'm trying not to add or increase the pain medication and pot helps immensely, and I can actually sleep more than just 3-4 hours a night.

Aurelia

Aurelia

Quote from: Nam on July 29, 2014, 12:18:09 AM
It happened last year in Texas. See, their logic actually was that registered guns with bullets in them was okay but tampons and pads were not because women protesters could use these non-lethal products against those in the Texas Congress.

Guns okay. Tampons not okay.

-Nam

I can't believe my state reps could be stupid....oh wait....they're republicunts, so of course they can!  If I could see to drive I'd take a glass bottle of coke and throw it at them and let them take a softness comparison.  Those dumbfucks!

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Nam on August 05, 2014, 11:21:43 AMJust because we live in the same country doesn't mean we live in the same society.
Or in other words: this is a fucking huge country and we don't all consume the same media outlets.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Berati on August 05, 2014, 08:52:35 AM
Sigh... The rape of a 15 year old leaps immediately to mind. Does the victim share in the culpability? ANd no, that is not a forced example, it happens all the time. I can't see how you can claim that blame is always somehow shared. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.
Only in this society. In certain African tribes, institutionalized rape is not only considered okay, but a rite of passage for young men. You can hardly blame such young men for knowing rape is wrong when they've been taught their entire lives that it's okay.

Quote from: Berati on August 05, 2014, 08:52:35 AM
I don't deny that you make some valid points, but IMO when we decide to allow a product to be legal, we have given the responsibility for its use to the user, not the provider. I don't feel it legally acceptible to say OK you can sell this product, but we will ruin you if you do.
The underlined part is the sticking point. We haven't "decided" that cigarettes are legal. Like many things, they have simply been grandfathered into what we allow to be sold. They have never been subject to the kind of systematic review we put to, say, a new drug to be put on the market.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Nam

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on August 05, 2014, 01:49:06 PM
Or in other words: this is a fucking huge country and we don't all consume the same media outlets.

True. Also, what local and state governments propagate doesn't always align with other states or even the Federal government.

-Nam

Mermaid

Quote from: Jmpty on August 05, 2014, 09:59:59 AM
How is tobacco different than alcohol?
It is a lot more quickly physically addictive, and is unregulated.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Jmpty

Quote from: Mermaid on August 05, 2014, 06:06:07 PM
It is a lot more quickly physically addictive, and is unregulated.
And nobody ever died from nicotine withdrawal.
???  ??

Mermaid

Quote from: Jmpty on August 05, 2014, 06:25:51 PM
but 50% of smokers die from the effects of smoking. How many people who drink get addicted to alcohol? How many people who smoke get addicted to cigarettes?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Jmpty

I know lots of occasional smokers. Cigars, hookahs, etc. An addictive drug is an addictive drug. Period.
???  ??

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: Jmpty on August 05, 2014, 06:25:51 PM
Yeah, never heard of that myself, but it fucking feels like you're dying. Vaping now. Down to 18mg from 24mg now. Taking it slow to increase my chances of success.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Nam

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on August 06, 2014, 01:08:25 AM
Yeah, never heard of that myself, but it fucking feels like you're dying. Vaping now. Down to 18mg from 24mg now. Taking it slow to increase my chances of success.

My aunt's doing the same thing. She's down from 24mg to 16mg. I'm starting next month. (I still have two cartons; not wasting that money).

-Nam

Mermaid

Quote from: Jmpty on August 05, 2014, 07:53:31 PM
I know lots of occasional smokers. Cigars, hookahs, etc. An addictive drug is an addictive drug. Period.
I strongly disagree with you that cigarettes are the same as alcohol with regard to addictive properties. Period.

Jmpty

???  ??