News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Site reality check..

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, July 14, 2014, 10:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

I think what APA had in mind with this thread was less about how we treat trolls and more about how we treat the current members on here. Trolls get what they deserve, but when you carry that over to a member of this forum's family, that is where we have problems.

Hydra009

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 14, 2014, 09:43:07 PM
I think what APA had in mind with this thread was less about how we treat trolls and more about how we treat the current members on here. Trolls get what they deserve, but when you carry that over to a member of this forum's family, that is where we have problems.
Did they?  All I know is someone left in a huff.  Didn't see anything in the banned thread but Frosty and co and phattmatt's sock or whatever.

Shol'va

The only thing wrong with this site is all you on here.
Screw the lot 'o ye. Ya hear?

Nam

I'd apologize for my assholishness but it'd be a lie. I'm naturally argumentative. Just be glad you don't know me in person.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Nam on July 14, 2014, 10:44:38 PM
I'd apologize for my assholishness but it'd be a lie. I'm naturally argumentative. Just be glad you don't know me in person.

-Nam
Indeed. We'd be unable to restrain ourselves from using... extreme measures against you. :axe:
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Nam

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 14, 2014, 11:21:35 PM
Indeed. We'd be unable to restrain ourselves from using... extreme measures against you. :axe:

I've been shot at, and stabbed (not kidding). Bring it on!

:wink:

I've gotten many-a-death threat, ironically, none for being an atheist. One guy, back in 2006, stated he bought a ticket was coming to Orlando to kill me. I replied, "1. I don't actually live in Orlando but one of the many neighboring cities/towns -- it's just easier to say "Orlando" 2. I am not the only one named "David Arnold" in the Orlando Metropolitan area; there's about 11 of us, 7 in Orlando alone [at the time]" and 3. You're a fucking idiot for making a death threat here [website it happened at] because at least two of the current moderators online atm are cops in real life."

(from memory, not word for word)

He was arrested the next day. He even was bringing a gun with him. What a moron. And it all stemmed from him taking something I said out of context; others even attempted to explain to him how he took what I said out of context but he wasn't listening, he was right, we were wrong. And he went to jail for it.

Sadly, I must be slipping, though--haven't had a death threat in 3-4 years.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

PopeADope II

Quote from: Shiranu on July 14, 2014, 04:18:00 PM
I apparently missed something :/.

I haven't particularly found this forum very toxic,  but that kinda scares me because it makes me wonder if I am one of the instigators :/. If I am, seriously... just tell me to stop being a douche.
I didnt think you were serious...you were..
I think I have taken too lightly the damage that can be done posting online.  It seems harmless but we dont know what it might trigger in others who have ptsd and what not...

GrinningYMIR

This place is important to a lot of folks, whether it's because it serves as a escape from religion, or a desire for camaraderie, it's still important. Lately we've had a huge influx of trolls, Christians, and even folks who seem like decent people, but only post once, then bail.

The trolls do make things worse, and the decent people do as well, because it's been so long side a poster has stayed for a long time we've become used to every one being a troll or a religion thrower, doesn't hurt that a lot of them end up posting hotly debated political topics, always leads to argument.

In the end, I'm sad that she is gone, but I'm also worried about the fact that it looks like the average long term poster here is becoming more and more jaded towards the new ones, because of all the trash that has shown up recently. We've already got the whole clique mentality forming, I just don't want a good person to come along and be met with open hostility instead of being welcomed as a fellow atheist
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

PopeADope II

I actually believe the controversy will attract far more people.  People are looking for drama, mystery, and excitement.  I have seen all three of those virtues displayed here recently. 

I like the remodeling lately and am growing quite fond of the staff.

SGOS

Quote from: PopeADope II on July 15, 2014, 07:50:08 AM
I actually believe the controversy will attract far more people.  People are looking for drama, mystery, and excitement. 
Sounds like potential chaos, ideal for chaos junkies who can't live without constant conflict.  Indeed, we've seen an influx of new people, and a slew of trolls who may have been attracted by other trolls all looking to create chaos, destroy potentially interesting threads, and flood the recent topics menu with useless drivel.

No thanks.

SGOS

I wonder of atheist sites get trolled more than others?

wolf39us

maybe? who knows... just got some heated people that keep coming back to troll

AllPurposeAtheist

To be honest I'm not big on treating anyone like garbage. I get in my pissy moods too and occasionally go off the edge myself, but to stand by and watch it begin to disintegrate into chaos and squabbling over pettiness is not a recipe for longevity.
I still think of most here as friends, some just acquaintance, but I don't hate anyone here, not even the trolls and rolly holders. I certainly don't get my kicks out of trying to degrade anyone.
If it degrades to just one big insult fest I'll leave, no problems. Joking around is one thing, blatantly insulting others is quite another. It's pretty simple really. If you're joking around and someone takes it wrong it's not going to kill you to say your sorry and nobody will think the lesser of you for apologizing. If you think you're above apologizing for being an asshole then I don't know what to say other than leave me alone. We have nothing to talk about.
I'd like to think the majority of the people here are able to recognize when they've hurt others and able to take steps to rectify the problems.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

I don't have moods. I go from quiescent to a fit of rage in about one eyeblink. I had to replace a door once because I put my fist through it. Fortunately it doesn't happen often.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: stromboli on July 15, 2014, 09:16:22 AM
I don't have moods. I go from quiescent to a fit of rage in about one eyeblink. I had to replace a door once because I put my fist through it. Fortunately it doesn't happen often.
No moods, huh? Well aren't we special. :lol:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.