News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

60's Batman TV series...

Started by the_antithesis, July 07, 2014, 04:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_antithesis

Okay, so I guess the series is finally coming to DVD and Pink Ray in November. One of the digital satellite channels ran a marathon this weekend because nothing says America like a kitchy 60's TV series.

I watched a bit of it and enjoyed it, but I'm not sure why. I'm sure nostalgia figures big into it. It's been decades since I watched it, but I don't think that's all of it.

I think the big thing was the pacing. Shit happens and happens quickly in this show. Boom, boom, boom, boom. It's impossible to be bored watching this thing.

Also it's colorful. Remember when superheroes had color? Hard to imagine today since everything has black or darkened colors to be all dour and bullshit. There's a joy here that is lacking in the more recent incarnations. I miss that. What happened? Super heroes grew up? That's a child's idea of what being grown up is like, making it even more childish as a result. Or maybe they're just afraid to being gay.

Yeah, the show has enormously corny moments, like any time Batman makes some stupid speech on citizenship or something. But I didn't roll my eyes as much as I would have thought.

So, anyone else watch this shit recently? What was your experience?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTGAXBeYDcM

AllPurposeAtheist

We should discuss Marsha, Jan & Cindy's periods instead..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

the_antithesis

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on July 07, 2014, 05:17:17 PM

They weren't super heroes.

robert04330

i have all the old batmans on Vhs tapes recorded in the 80's from reruns
I HAVE CANDY

robert04330

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on July 07, 2014, 05:17:17 PM

i was greg brady i would all over step sister marcia... there be more insist then in india in that house..
I HAVE CANDY

SGOS

I remember the program as being fun.  I'd watch a few episodes.  Also, Get Smart, was lots of fun.

robert04330

Quote from: SGOS on July 07, 2014, 06:07:36 PM
I remember the program as being fun.  I'd watch a few episodes.  Also, Get Smart, was lots of fun.

Missed it by that much.

Did you like the steve carell movie of get smart?

I liked about 90% of it.
I HAVE CANDY

the_antithesis

Quote from: robert04330 on July 07, 2014, 06:10:30 PM

Missed it by that much.

I liked about 90% of it.

I didn't see it and the reason why is the trailer. The first trailer I saw had a really well done gag where he tries to throw a phone at someone who's pointing a gun at him and it springs back on it's cord without even hitting the guy. In the original trailer, it was hilarious. But then they released a new trailer and that gag fell completely flat. In comedy, timing is everything and in the second trailer, the timing was completely off and no longer worked.

Strangely, I can't seem to find the second trailer. here's the first. I don't know why the comedy leaves, but it was enough to keep me from buying a ticket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4ZkRdDvcaY

SGOS

Quote from: the_antithesis on July 07, 2014, 07:32:32 PM
I didn't see it and the reason why is the trailer. The first trailer I saw had a really well done gag where he tries to throw a phone at someone who's pointing a gun at him and it springs back on it's cord without even hitting the guy. In the original trailer, it was hilarious. But then they released a new trailer and that gag fell completely flat. In comedy, timing is everything and in the second trailer, the timing was completely off and no longer worked.

Strangely, I can't seem to find the second trailer. here's the first. I don't know why the comedy leaves, but it was enough to keep me from buying a ticket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4ZkRdDvcaY
Quote from: robert04330 on July 07, 2014, 06:10:30 PM
I was disappointed by the movie.