The spiritual version of Original Sin

Started by PickelledEggs, July 01, 2014, 11:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

I went to take out the garbage and I noticed my mom watching something on her computer and writing notes. Naturally, with me being the inquisitive fuck that I am, I had to ask what she was watching.

She went on to talk about how she's doing a project about the movie by this lady Debbie Ford based on her book, The Dark Side of the Light Chasers which is called The Shadow Effect.

In short, the way she explained it to me was: we all have a dark side, a perfectly peaceful person can be violent and a very generous person can be very greedy. She then told me that "if you deny your greedy side from coming out, you also put a veil over your generous side"

Sounds a lot like original sin to me. I asked her "so, you mean to say a perfectly peaceful person can turn out to be incredibly violent?" and she agreed.
so then I told her how that is literally saying that Gandhi could have turned out to be a conductor of genocide.

That's where she got upset and told me to leave (which I was expecting) and I told her to think about what she just tried to tell me before she goes and tells anyone else. If I'm lucky, something will sink in of how stupid what she was saying sounded.

This is the link to the book, the lady talks a bit about it and why she wrote it. It's pretty moronic.
http://store.debbieford.com/product_info.php?products_id=9

Hydra009

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 01, 2014, 11:37:46 PMSounds a lot like original sin to me. I asked her "so, you mean to say a perfectly peaceful person can turn out to be incredibly violent?" and she agreed.
so then I told her how that is literally saying that Gandhi could have turned out to be a conductor of genocide.
Well...

But yeah, idiotic book.  Obviously, people don't actually have warring evil and good sides.  There's simply a range of feelings and behaviors, which vary depending on mood and situation.  Most people are fairly amiable most of the time unless they feel wronged or threatened.

Quote from: the bookAfter years of suffering and addiction, I worked to become whole again. I spent five years and $50,000 seeking out “the answer.” I tried all of the spiritual information and transformational processes at the time. I did mind control, therapy, hypnosis, rebirthing, transformational seminars, Buddhist retreats, Sufi dancing, drinking wheat grass, hanging crystals over my head, and subliminal programming where I made tapes that would affirm over and over that I was kind, I was loving, I was peaceful and I was happy. I tried any method of healing I came across.

SGOS

Satan dwells in your heart, and you know how evil he is.  Cast him out.  Say, "Be gone with you, Satan!  You are foul and unclean.  I condemn thee."

PickelledEggs

Yeah, good point on Gandhi, Hydra. Maybe not the BEST example, but I at least hope it got her thinking.

haha good reaction image. When I read that part I thought of this scene from A Clockwork Orange

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uEJRmoIDVc

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the book and movie are endorsed by Deepak Chopra, so you know this is legit.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 01, 2014, 11:37:46 PMso then I told her how that is literally saying that Gandhi could have turned out to be a conductor of genocide.
I take it you've never played any of the Civ games. :lol:
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 02, 2014, 01:24:41 PM
I take it you've never played any of the Civ games. :lol:
Lol no I haven't

Sent from your mom

PickelledEggs

Also . I feel like a dick for being so critical to her all the time about this, but at the same time, I know I would never be able to live with myself if I wasn't critical and she was responsible for someone getting seriously sick because they didn't get the correct treatment right off the bat.

This isn't guided meditation and relaxation she's dealing with, she is immersing herself in "faith healing" and nonsense psychological claims (that she convinces other people about)

PickelledEggs

Ok. so I was making lunch and my mom decided to put the movie version of this book on. It's basically "The Secret" pt 2 (it apparently was also endorsed by Oprah)

There is one thing I agree with in the entire part that I watched. That it's bad to suppress parts of your character. It's better to utilize them the best you can. But even that I only agree with to a point and her point of what she calls "the beach ball effect", (basically a metaphor describing suppressed emotions as beachballs that you try to keep under water in a pool), is completely lost in the rest of this lady Debbie Ford's speculations.

Here is the video IF you want to try to watch it. I got through about 40 min worth because I was in the middle of cooking and eating my lunch.

If you watch it though, let me know what you think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TQ3mft89Fg

Solitary

You are a legend in your own mind, and not too bright, even a 12 year old can do what you do it's so easy.  And just like an annoying twelve year old, you are hard to get rid of. :axe: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.