Youth Pastor Promotes Violence Towards Women

Started by stromboli, June 05, 2014, 10:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/06/05/indiana-church-creates-humorous-warning-video-of-girl-beaten-with-bat-for-talking-back/

QuoteAn Indiana church has apologized for creating what it said was supposed to be a “humorous” video of two girls being beaten for breaking rules set by the pastor.

According to Addicting Info, the Colonial Hills Baptist Church youth program Youth E.D.G.E. Indy created the video to teach 7th graders to obey church rules. The blog Stuff Fundies Like reported that the video was originally posted to the youth group’s Facebook page, but was removed after complaints about violence against women.

In the video, youth pastor Nate Utley demonstrates the importance of Youth E.D.G.E. regulations.

“Don’t disrespect or talk back to your leaders at any time,” Utley warns in one lesson.

After a girl tells him to “Shut up,” the pastor picks up a plastic “baseball bat” and beats her until she appears lifeless.

Later in the video, Utley beats a second girl with the “baseball bat” because she failed to put a pizza box in the trash can.

Young Adults Pastor Keith Lewis eventually explained that the video “was meant to be a humorous introduction for the incoming 7th graders.”

“After posting this video online, several folks alerted us to a perspective that we had regretably overlooked,” Lewis wrote to one person who complained by email. “These friends expressed their concern that the video demonstrated a disrespect toward women, a trivializing of abuse, a depreciation of victims, and an undermining of the edifying grace of the gospel.”

“While the video was certainly recorded to be more of a slap-stick spoof, we understand that our lack of discernment may have been hurtful for some and damaging to the cause of Christ,” he said. “As followers of Jesus, we firmly believe in the equality and unity of all believers in Christ (Galatians 3:28; 1 Peter 3:7), and so we apologize for the apparent dishonor accorded to women in this video.”

Lewis also promised that Senior Pastor Charles Phelps would review the video, and that he would mentor the youth program better in the future.

Watch the video below from Colonial Hills Baptist Church, broadcast June 5, 2013.

Stromboli gives you a dickhead to hate on this morning because he cares about you people.  :biggrin:

It isn't so much that he is intentionally promoting violence, as the fact that he can find humor in it.

Moralnihilist

Quote from: stromboli on June 05, 2014, 10:49:51 AM
It isn't so much that he is intentionally promoting violence, as the fact that he can find humor in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGBhpWXTBYM

But sometimes it can be funny
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

stromboli

Thanks Moral. I hope that some of that helped to decrease human population.

Drummer Guy

Well, at least they recognized that it was wrong.  Sometimes these organizations try to justify it and maintain that there's nothing wrong with what they did.

stromboli

It still gets me that so many women buy into the acceptance of secondary and even abusive roles and relationships in religion. And then defend it.

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: stromboli on June 05, 2014, 01:09:08 PM
It still gets me that so many women buy into the acceptance of secondary and even abusive roles and relationships in religion. And then defend it.
There was a woman across the street from me who was regularly beaten by her boyfriend. I regret it, but eventually I stopped caring for her plight and stopped helping her. When her boyfriend was beating her she would scream for us to call the police, which I did. When the police showed up she would refuse to press charges against her boyfriend, despite the bruises on her. The police would follow protocol and keep the boyfriend for a day or two, but after that he was at her apartment, beating her again. Every time she would excuse it as "he has anger problems, but he loves me". She moved away years ago.

If I could do it over again I would beat the fuck out of her boyfriend.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Nam

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on June 05, 2014, 02:20:42 PM
There was a woman across the street from me who was regularly beaten by her boyfriend. I regret it, but eventually I stopped caring for her plight and stopped helping her. When her boyfriend was beating her she would scream for us to call the police, which I did. When the police showed up she would refuse to press charges against her boyfriend, despite the bruises on her. The police would follow protocol and keep the boyfriend for a day or two, but after that he was at her apartment, beating her again. Every time she would excuse it as "he has anger problems, but he loves me". She moved away years ago.

If I could do it over again I would beat the fuck out of her boyfriend.

(last sentence) I would've done that the first day. I once hit a guy in the theater because he had It in his mind that slapping is four or five year old son would get him to shut up, so I hit him hard and when he cried/whined about it I said, "Shut up, do I have to hit you again?". That was in 1998, or 1999. I don't remember when, at least a decade or more. I think that was the last time I was ever physical with a person, in such a way.

Though, I wouldn't hesitate now to do a similar thing. If I see it now, I usually say something to them. Like once I saw this woman spanking her child violently at the mall in Ocoee, FL (West Oaks) and I walked up to her and said, "if you keep hitting your child like that, I will restrain you and let him beat you like you're beating him." Things like that work for me. It could be my height, and weight, or for the fact that some people have stated when I'm angry I look like a scary motherfucker but who knows...does seem to work for me.

I hate seeing such abuse, and even more: hearing it.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Berati

Quote from: stromboli on June 05, 2014, 01:09:08 PM

You see this with the burqa, hijab and the niqab quite a lot. People in the western world try to get rid of these tools of oppression and you get islamic women defending their use. It boggles the mind.

Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Solitary

Quote from: Nam on June 25, 2014, 01:36:02 AM
(last sentence) I would've done that the first day. I once hit a guy in the theater because he had It in his mind that slapping is four or five year old son would get him to shut up, so I hit him hard and when he cried/whined about it I said, "Shut up, do I have to hit you again?". That was in 1998, or 1999. I don't remember when, at least a decade or more. I think that was the last time I was ever physical with a person, in such a way.

Though, I wouldn't hesitate now to do a similar thing. If I see it now, I usually say something to them. Like once I saw this woman spanking her child violently at the mall in Ocoee, FL (West Oaks) and I walked up to her and said, "if you keep hitting your child like that, I will restrain you and let him beat you like you're beating him." Things like that work for me. It could be my height, and weight, or for the fact that some people have stated when I'm angry I look like a scary motherfucker but who knows...does seem to work for me.

I hate seeing such abuse, and even more: hearing it.

-Nam
I can see it now from a psychologist: "Nam has anger issues," and the psychiatrist: "acting on them makes him mentally ill." Good for you Nam, I put up with watching my dad beat on my mother until I pulled a rifle out on him when I was 12. I can stand to hear or see people that are violent. Once when I was in high school, and making out in a car with a girlfriend in a park, two guys kept shoving each other wanting to fight, I finally had enough and went up and decked both of them, and told them that is how you fight. Them and the crowd around them left. The rest is too nasty to talk about. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.