Attempted murder...is a sacrifice to slenderman??

Started by GrinningYMIR, June 03, 2014, 10:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

stromboli

I can only imagine the mileage Fox news is going to get out of this.

AllPurposeAtheist

What really bothers me is people wanting to try two 12 year old girls as adults.  They're barely 2/3rds of the way to legal age..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Jason78

Slenderman had about as much to do with this attempted murder as bullying women had to do with that other guy from last week.

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

PickelledEggs

Quote from: stromboli on June 03, 2014, 10:25:08 PM
I can only imagine the mileage Fox news is going to get out of this.
Fox news already did a report on Luigi's death stare from the new Mario Kart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKZ7BJZCdNA

[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpxDuNFBVj8[/spoiler]

QuoteThe other girl said she sees Slender Man in her dreams. She said he watches her and can read her mind and teleport.
Uhhhhh.... WHAT?

SGOS

This is a hard thing to understand.  They're kids.  Were they play acting a devotion to a comic book type character, or are they suffering from mirror images of some type of schizophrenia?

Jason Harvestdancer

The trying them as adults part bothers me too.

So let us assume that they are found to be not guilty, that it actually was someone else, that the initial reporting was all wrong and that it was proven in a court case.  Unlikely, but go with the assumption for the sake of argument.

If they are found not guilty, will these 12 year old girls be granted the right to drive, vote, and purchase alcohol?  They are adults after all.

I've never been one to advocate for law, and usually laws that are in place are laws that I want to repeal, but for Loki's sake during the time a law is in place it should be observed by the government at least.  Civil Disobedience is another matter entirely, but the Judges and the Prosecutors should say "the law says they are minors so therefore they should be charged as minors".  What the fuck is the point of having a law that says they are minors if it will be ignored so readily and easily?
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

AllPurposeAtheist

This whole thing of trying kids as adults is some feel good bullshit and a slam dunk feather in the cap for prosecutors, but does little if anything to protect the public. If they plan to try them as adults they might as well go ahead and hang them now and save everyone a lot of bother, but how many 12 year old girls or boys for that matter realize the gravity of their offence and even grasp the concept of life in prison?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

I suppose trying them as adults allows for stiffer punishment, but there is a risk in asking for too much punishment.  You can try them as adults, but the jury will still be seeing 12 year old kids, and may not convict them.  It might be like trying a driver of a car who hits a pedestrian and kills him.  How likely are you to get a murder conviction, when manslaughter is much more likely?

Jason78

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on June 05, 2014, 10:33:09 PM
This whole thing of trying kids as adults is some feel good bullshit and a slam dunk feather in the cap for prosecutors, but does little if anything to protect the public. If they plan to try them as adults they might as well go ahead and hang them now and save everyone a lot of bother, but how many 12 year old girls or boys for that matter realize the gravity of their offence and even grasp the concept of life in prison?

You hear a lot about cases of mentally ill people being executed on death row as well, and probably for the same reasons.  I think you're right, it's not about protecting the public.  It's political.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato