News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How did the universe begin?

Started by josephpalazzo, May 24, 2014, 03:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: SGOS on May 27, 2014, 08:51:36 AM
I think it was an actual explosion, complete with a loud bang that could be heard for light years away.  There were also multi-colored starbursts at the end of streaking fireballs and a band playing the American National Anthem.

Good thing you added that last part in there, SGOS. Otherwise some republicunt might accuse you of being unpatriotic, and you could end up defending yourself on Faux news.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

frosty

Quote from: PickelledEggs on May 27, 2014, 01:21:10 AM
lol casparov with his "I am a figment of my own imagination" bs lmao

A Theist who also supports the idea of Solipsism? Sounds rare, I will admit.

I wonder if the idea of 'where did we come from' is just a human one. What if 'where did we come from and why' is just an issue of human perception lacking knowledge? What if there doesn't need to be an answer to that question, simply because it is not an issue of universal importance? I'm willing to entertain that possibility, obviously Theists aren't but that's because they are told that their existence will continue after their biological death and that is appealing to humans because of an acute and powerful survival instinct.

Damn you, cavemen, people think they will live after they are dead because you were all such tough bastards.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: frosty on June 21, 2014, 01:56:04 AM
A Theist who also supports the idea of Solipsism? Sounds rare, I will admit.

I wonder if the idea of 'where did we come from' is just a human one. What if 'where did we come from and why' is just an issue of human perception lacking knowledge? What if there doesn't need to be an answer to that question, simply because it is not an issue of universal importance? I'm willing to entertain that possibility, obviously Theists aren't but that's because they are told that their existence will continue after their biological death and that is appealing to humans because of an acute and powerful survival instinct.

Damn you, cavemen, people think they will live after they are dead because you were all such tough bastards.
Casper was am odd one. That is certain. It was interesting reading what he had to say for a little while though. I never heard of someone that actually believes that we live in a matrix. (key words: little while)

Sent from your mom

Brian37

I really hate the title of this thread. Not that it isn't a question science isn't working on. I hate it to the extent that believers stupidly go, "AH HA! You admit you don't know so my fictional sky hero fills in that gap".

Stephen Hawkins, "A god is not required".  Ok, so lets scrap the bad claims and work from there.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Brian37 on June 21, 2014, 08:52:43 AM
I really hate the title of this thread.

:axe:

QuoteNot that it isn't a question science isn't working on. I hate it to the extent that believers stupidly go, "AH HA! You admit you don't know so my fictional sky hero fills in that gap".

Well, you can't stop people for being stupid. Often, it is not stupidity but being misguided... ok, I'm nitpicking...

QuoteStephen Hawkins, "A god is not required".  Ok, so lets scrap the bad claims and work from there.

:biggrin:

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Jason78 on May 27, 2014, 09:52:57 AM
I think you could keep going until you arrived at a universe with so few degrees of freedom that black holes would not be able to form there.  (Assuming black holes are universes with one less dimension than their parent universe.)
Or not. Ever read "He Who Shrank"?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

It began with a big poof. Dark Matter is actually a gigantic cloud of gayness.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on June 22, 2014, 03:18:13 PM
That would explain the tornadoes here yesterday.
PZ Myers

josephpalazzo

Quote from: stromboli on June 22, 2014, 03:18:13 PM

Gawdzilla Sama

Looks like he's sucking on a big old tit.
PZ Myers

stromboli

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 23, 2014, 03:20:27 PM
Looks like he's sucking on a big old tit.

The universe is a gigantic mammary gland. That could explain the Milky Way. (groan at will)