The Heresy of the Twelve Steps

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, May 08, 2014, 12:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

HA! This guy really rips on AA and their propaganda and debating techniques. I haven't read as much as I will, but when people start with extolling the virtues of AA and how AA gets them sober here's a site they should probably read if they're going to bother muddling through the AA "bible"..
http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-propaganda.html

Solitary

Twelve Steps?  :wtff: Sounds like Buddhism.  :lol: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

SGOS

I stumbled on the Orange Papers site years ago, but haven't been back there for years.  Orange certainly has an unflattering opinion of AA.  I think he/she does point out some real issues that exist in AA, although claims are undocumented and tend to be exaggerated, I think.  He tends to paint AA as a conspiracy designed specifically to perpetrate evil in the name of helping others.  I tend to view AA as misguided, rather than as purposely evil.

phattmatt

Your higher power doesnt have to be god.  It can be oxygen, sunshine, water, or pussy

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: SGOS on May 09, 2014, 05:43:52 AM
I stumbled on the Orange Papers site years ago, but haven't been back there for years.  Orange certainly has an unflattering opinion of AA.  I think he/she does point out some real issues that exist in AA, although claims are undocumented and tend to be exaggerated, I think.  He tends to paint AA as a conspiracy designed specifically to perpetrate evil in the name of helping others.  I tend to view AA as misguided, rather than as purposely evil.
I think it mostly depends on the chapter or whatever the hell they call them,  but I will say most are definitely willfully ignorant.