What is/are your primary area(s) of historical interest?

Started by Gawdzilla Sama, May 07, 2014, 08:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cabanaboy1313

I have for as far as I can remember have had an interest in history.  I would often try to find the truth of what was written.   I never had a specific area but rather a Jack of all trades in regard to history.  I still look for the cause of and the effect of history.
If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much space.

Thumpalumpacus

<insert witty aphorism here>

stromboli

Deidre32

My main interest lies in everything having to do with the Holocaust. I've visited a number of museums, and have read numerous books. It is (to me) one of the most defining and sorrowful times in all of history. The sad reality however is that genocide still goes on, in other countries, as well as slavery, and human trafficking. I think why it interests me is because I've always been fascinated with social justice issues.
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Deidre32 on December 20, 2014, 02:21:21 AM
My main interest lies in everything having to do with the Holocaust. I've visited a number of museums, and have read numerous books. It is (to me) one of the most defining and sorrowful times in all of history. The sad reality however is that genocide still goes on, in other countries, as well as slavery, and human trafficking. I think why it interests me is because I've always been fascinated with social justice issues.
You might find the video "Nazi Concentration Camps" interesting. It's available at http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/Newsreels/, as well as several other videos on the war, mostly made during the war or shortly after.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Deidre32

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 20, 2014, 08:48:04 AM
You might find the video "Nazi Concentration Camps" interesting. It's available at http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/Newsreels/, as well as several other videos on the war, mostly made during the war or shortly after.
Thank you! I will definitely check it out.
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Deidre32 on December 20, 2014, 02:45:28 PM
Thank you! I will definitely check it out.
There are also reports by Patton about what he found in a concentration camp, and both he and Ike visited at least one.

Here's a photo of Ike and Bradley at Buchenwald. Very big so I'm posting just the link.  http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/29/Buchenwald_Ohrdruf_Corpses_Eisenhower_21700.jpg

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

dtq123

I'm interested in the time of Philosophers, and have done a fair bit of study on Socrates, Confucius, and Kant's time.
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

MarineWarrior

If it's not the history of the Marine Corps then I don't care about it.   :fU:

j/k

When I was on active duty in the Marine Corps I used to read a lot of books on Vietnam.  My Dad is a Vietnam Vet so that really drove my interest into that subject area.  I had to do a presentation on the Tet Offensive when I was at The Basic School (it's a school that all Marine Officers have to attend regardless of your job in the Marine Corps). 

Presently I find myself more interested in how the Universe works so I watch a lot of documentaries on different scientific discoveries.  Cosmos was great for showing the history of science.  I also try to read the Feynman lectures on physics but that's a lot to try and absorb.
Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

-Carl Sagan

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

SNP1

I am most interested in Ancient Greece and the Roman Empire. The area that interests me the most is the origin and rise of Christianity.
"My only agenda, if one can call it that, is the pursuit of truth" ~AoSS

trdsf

Watergate.  You couldn't make up a weirder story than the reality of what actually did happen, and I wouldnd't be surprised if those who are too young to remember it probably can't believe most of what they've heard.  Also, the history of science -- where the big breakthroughs came from, why they happened when they did and not earlier or later.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on February 04, 2015, 04:05:11 AM
Watergate.  You couldn't make up a weirder story than the reality of what actually did happen, and I wouldnd't be surprised if those who are too young to remember it probably can't believe most of what they've heard.  Also, the history of science -- where the big breakthroughs came from, why they happened when they did and not earlier or later.
I was in Sicily when the hearings went down. I caught only what the Stars and Stripes (military newspaper) chose to print about it. AND what Doonesbury was saying. I didn't understand much of what Trudeau was putting out. However, one Monday morning the Doonesbury slot was taken up by a notice that due to the "highly political nature" of the strip it was being replaced. Tuesday we had some strip I'd never heard of, before or since. Wednesday there was another note, saying "due to popular demand" they were putting Doonesbury back. Thursday service resumed. They waited a few months and then moved Doonesbury to the editorial page. Fine by me.

A small victory for reality, albeit the comic strip kind, but I still remember it.
PZ Myers