What is/are your primary area(s) of historical interest?

Started by Gawdzilla Sama, May 07, 2014, 08:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

I am currently converting 800+ pages of US Naval Regulations to HTML for the Naval Historical Center.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 25, 2014, 04:58:37 PM
I am currently converting 800+ pages of US Naval Regulations to HTML for the Naval Historical Center.

I bet that is about as exciting as it sounds.

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PringleTree

I grew up and live within easy driving distance of many significant American Civil War battlefields. I also had several ancestors who served on both sides, so I have always had a great interest in the study of that war.
Most offensive speech heard in recent memory:
"I believe this country was started by Christians for Christians."
Captain Scotty Smiley, US Army, West Point grad, blinded both eyes in Iraq, remains on active duty
Mike Huckabee Show, August 2013
How sad the Captain has such un-American beliefs.

AllPurposeAtheist

My historical interests are things that happened in the past. I know, call me the oddball here.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 25, 2014, 04:58:37 PM
I was in the Navy. Seems I remember at least 800 pages just enlisting.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

I am also interested in the prehistoric era of the mid to late Neolithic, the time ascribed to Noah. So much of what we are as humans stems from the end of our hunter-gather existence and the foundation of cities and temples, like Gobekli Tebe. The Gilgamesh legend and the early creation of the codexes of law and written language. The more we discover, the more we see where modern humanity comes from.

zarus tathra

My primary interest would be Medieval/Renaissance history, and the history of leftism.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 29, 2014, 03:23:54 AM
I was in the Navy.
These are the original "Rocks and Shoals".
QuoteSeems I remember at least 800 pages just enlisting.
and at the bottom, in the fine print: "You are now US government property."
PZ Myers

Aupmanyav

My interest is in Aryan history, RigVeda, and their interaction with indigenous Indians and their beliefs. Like Stromboli said, the 'Noah period' or I would say the 'Orion Period', because at one time the Aryan New Year began with vernal equinox when the sun rose in the asterism of Orion - Mrigashiras (The Hunter or the Antelopes head)/Agrahayana (The First) Nakshatra. I am supposed to have an Aryan descent, though I do not claim purity of blood.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

frosty

My interests shift quite a bit, but in terms of region I am stuck on the Middle East/North Africa for now. Before that, it was the Orient. Humanity has been in conflict so often that it's quite hard to find a 'favourite' time period to follow for wars. Modern wars, anywhere from WW1 to present, interest me much more than wars that happened in the past hundreds/thousands of years. It's good to get some historical context, but other than that, I'm more concerned with my world as it's happening in this modern age.

Mandingo

From proto-paleo-anthropology upto and including the renaissance.
I.o.w. from Ramapithecus to Leonardo da Vinci.

Ro3bert

I am presently heavily into Medieval/Renaissance. But I find almost any history enjoyable if not totally fascinating with the exception of Egyptian history and that because I see too many TV shows relating to Pharaonic Egypt.

Robert

Hydra009

Quote from: Ro3bert on August 15, 2014, 09:49:44 PMI am presently heavily into Medieval/Renaissance. But I find almost any history enjoyable if not totally fascinating with the exception of Egyptian history and that because I see too many TV shows relating to Pharaonic Egypt.
So you're saying Abydios to egyptian history?  :P