News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Why is Atheism frowned upon?

Started by pm1255, May 06, 2014, 04:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StupidWiz

Quote from: Mermaid on May 07, 2014, 08:49:00 PM
Ok, I see. Thanks for explaining. I completely misinterpreted what you wrote.
No worries, all I want is just being true to myself. I don't want to live in a lie anymore, it's really exhausting.

Btw, yay, I just evolved to Nematode~  :pidu:
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

AllPurposeAtheist

Wiz, ever think about moving to a country where being open about being an atheist isn't life threatening?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

Welcome aboard pm1255! Religion is an escape from reality that makes believers feel good, when you say you are an atheist they see it as a threat to their security blanket.  It's like telling a small child you don't believe in Santa, and even worse when you tell them he doesn't exist. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Solitary on May 08, 2014, 02:34:36 AM
Welcome aboard pm1255! Religion is an escape from reality that makes believers feel good, when you say you are an atheist they see it as a threat to their security blanket.  It's like telling a small child you don't believe in Santa, and even worse when you tell them he doesn't exist. Solitary
It's AS IF telling them that the nonsense they believe isn't real,  that the invisible,  silent being in the sky really isn't keeping score of how many times you play with yourself.  OH THE HORRORS OF REALITY! What? That fink down the street isn't going to burn forever and ever and ever and ever and ever? Certainly you must be a criminal of the worse kind for thinking such thoughts!
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

StupidWiz

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 08, 2014, 02:16:03 AM
Wiz, ever think about moving to a country where being open about being an atheist isn't life threatening?
All the time, APA, all the time...  :neutral:
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

SGOS

It seems odd that the beliefs for which there are no evidence are defended in the most draconian ways.  The most defended might be one's religion.  After that, may be various political ideologies.  As soon as evidence is removed from a claim, people will clamor to nurture it if it suits them.

benno

Atheism is frowned upon mainly because of the types who get into it, IMO. Silly wankers who don't care about others. It's all very well to not believe in gods, but another thing to shout loudly over other good people's houses etc, especially when you're young and dumb.

DunkleSeele

Quote from: benno on May 09, 2014, 06:45:21 AM
Atheism is frowned upon mainly because of the types who get into it, IMO. Silly wankers who don't care about others. It's all very well to not believe in gods, but another thing to shout loudly over other good people's houses etc, especially when you're young and dumb.
Oh boy, I can tell you're going to be lots of fun...

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: benno on May 09, 2014, 06:45:21 AM
It's all very well and good to believe in gods, but another thing to invade the schools and indoctrinate other people's children, especially when you're a blithering idiot.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

the_antithesis

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 06, 2014, 05:15:00 PM
In the land of the no-brained people the one-brained person is burned at the stake.

FIFY

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: the_antithesis on May 10, 2014, 09:41:57 AM
FIFY
There's a short story about a one-eyed man in a land of the blind. They end up blinding him because he's such a prick about it.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

the_antithesis

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 10, 2014, 01:15:59 PM
There's a short story about a one-eyed man in a land of the blind. They end up blinding him because he's such a prick about it.

Yeah. Truth be told, that guy was a prick, eye or no eye.

gibson154

I couldn't agree more with your opinion, although I am not used to the reaction you described. Amongst the majority of the people I know in the UK that opinion is commonplace and although there are plenty of religious people, if anything I would say it is them who feel embarrassed when discussing their beliefs in public.

What country do you live in?