News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Why is Atheism frowned upon?

Started by pm1255, May 06, 2014, 04:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pm1255

I cannot stand religion, I will respect people believing in it that's their choice and I will respect that, but I absolutely abhor the concept of religion itself, it twists minds and hardly anybody notices it, you take a scientific fact and a verse in the bible that contradict each other and people will think "Oh well since its in the bible it must have been right that one time and just defied Science." I don't know any other atheists that feel as strongly as I do so I have a difficult time venting these things. People will hear the word "atheist" and assume the worst. Oh you're an atheist? (Gosh don't talk to them, they probably worship satan...) Just about everyone I know family and friends believe in god and they look at me as if I just am unsure of what I believe in and i'll go down the "correct" path in life later, so I always have to be extremely careful about what I say and the moment I let off a little bit of steam and express my opinion it's "WOAH MAN WE DON'T NEED TO HEAR THAT STUFF" yet everyday i'll deal with things I find ridiculous. Things like praying, or believing miracles happen or being touched by a spirit, drive me up a wall, I look at these things and think to myself "How in the hell can anyone in the right mind think this is remotely possible?" Or when people say evolution and creationism should be taught 50-50 I lose my mind, that's absolutely ridiculous. Gosh I needed to get that off my chest, it's nice to finally find somewhere to communicate with a community that understands these thoughts. I'd love to hear some feedback! Am I being too harsh?

stromboli

Welcome. Your attitude/emotions are well understood here.

Gawdzilla Sama

In the land of the no-brained people the one-brained person is king.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

DunkleSeele

Hi pm1255, welcome to our little corner of sanity in an insane world!

As Stromboli said, your feelings are well understood here. Many members here were once religious, some even fundamentalists, but at some point in life they started questioning their beliefs and became atheists. Seeing how many people blindly stick to their poisonous beliefs drives many of us crazy. If we could see things for what they are, why others can't? Why do these people keep pushing their fairy tales on the rest of the world? You're not the only one feeling this frustration. Unfortunately, there's not much we can do about it, apart from trying to debate and "educate" the religious. Then again, this exercise can also be frustrating...

Again, welcome to the shark tank!

pm1255

Thanks for the welcoming, it's just a fantastic feeling to know that others understand this frustration!

StupidWiz

I know how that feels, just hang in there. Welcome to the forum.
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

JohnD

Welcome to the forum and to the real world :) The reason that theists frown upon atheists is because we challenge their beliefs by bashing them over the head with facts and logic. In many instances we momentarily allow them a peak through their theological smoke screen at reality before they retreat back into their world of delusion. 

Remember in the Matrix movie when one of the resistance fighters asked to be plugged back into the Matrix because he had problems facing reality? This is the same situation that many theists are in.
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

pm1255

Damn John, that is a fantastic comparison! haha. I say bravo to that!

Contemporary Protestant

I don't see atheism as a belief as being inferior, however when someone tells me I'm an idiot, I don't have any desire to be friends with them. That being said there are many atheists, that I would consider a friend.

JohnD

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on May 06, 2014, 06:57:59 PM
I don't see atheism as a belief as being inferior, however when someone tells me I'm an idiot, I don't have any desire to be friends with them. That being said there are many atheists, that I would consider a friend.

Your assumption that atheism is a belief is wrong. Atheism negates belief!
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

Contemporary Protestant

Sorry, is "world view" acceptable? How would you like for me to refer to atheism?

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on May 06, 2014, 07:29:22 PM
Sorry, is "world view" acceptable? How would you like for me to refer to atheism?
It's really a lack of belief, but I don't see the problem in saying "belief" outside of debate or discussion. S long as you get the general concept: that atheism is a lack of belief in gods rather than believing that there is no god (that would be strong atheism), then you're fine as far as I'm concerned.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

PickelledEggs

I have come to the conclusion that the biggest underlying thing that make people have a problem with atheism is purpose/afterlife. People have the idea DRILLED in to their head that "if when we die, there  is nothing afterwards, what is the point?"... and I think it scares the living shit out of them because our views go against every fiber of their belief.

Hydra009

Quote from: pm1255 on May 06, 2014, 04:56:06 PMI cannot stand religion, I will respect people believing in it that's their choice and I will respect that, but I absolutely abhor the concept of religion itself, it twists minds and hardly anybody notices it, you take a scientific fact and a verse in the bible that contradict each other and people will think "Oh well since its in the bible it must have been right that one time and just defied Science." I don't know any other atheists that feel as strongly as I do so I have a difficult time venting these things. People will hear the word "atheist" and assume the worst. Oh you're an atheist? (Gosh don't talk to them, they probably worship satan...) Just about everyone I know family and friends believe in god and they look at me as if I just am unsure of what I believe in and i'll go down the "correct" path in life later, so I always have to be extremely careful about what I say and the moment I let off a little bit of steam and express my opinion it's "WOAH MAN WE DON'T NEED TO HEAR THAT STUFF" yet everyday i'll deal with things I find ridiculous. Things like praying, or believing miracles happen or being touched by a spirit, drive me up a wall, I look at these things and think to myself "How in the hell can anyone in the right mind think this is remotely possible?" Or when people say evolution and creationism should be taught 50-50 I lose my mind, that's absolutely ridiculous. Gosh I needed to get that off my chest, it's nice to finally find somewhere to communicate with a community that understands these thoughts. I'd love to hear some feedback! Am I being too harsh?
10/10 Would read again.

I too am really bothered that beliefs that would otherwise be considered mentally deranged are given such legitimacy and having an unsuitably deferential opposing opinion is regarded almost as a crime (technically, it actually is a crime in some places).  And I'm also really sick of people going the "uppity" atheist route - painting atheists as "intolerant" and "mean" as an excuse to not listen to their criticisms.

Hydra009

Quote from: PickelledEggs on May 06, 2014, 10:22:03 PM
I have come to the conclusion that the biggest underlying thing that make people have a problem with atheism is purpose/afterlife. People have the idea DRILLED in to their head that "if when we die, there  is nothing afterwards, what is the point?"... and I think it scares the living shit out of them because our views go against every fiber of their belief.
It's definitely the elephant in the room.  It definitely explains why believers are so adamant about seemingly trivial and indefensible beliefs that are nevertheless integral to their belief system.  It certainly looms large in creationist [synonym for thinking]:  if evolution is true, then the Bible isn't.  And if the Bible isn't, then Jesus never died for our sins, so therefore...  So you have this big opposition to radiometric dating, not based on anything even remotely related to it, but because of its supposed theological implications.  It's like contesting the existence of multiple galaxies on the grounds that it doesn't jive with Skyrim lore.  It's just layers and layers of wrong.