Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Present Evidence Here II

Started by Fidel_Castronaut, February 14, 2013, 05:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on July 26, 2019, 02:26:12 PM

Indifference, obviously.

You need an object of love to love someone or something. The starting position is then first indifference.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Indifference is the true opposite of love, hate is not.  Sad ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on July 26, 2019, 02:41:42 PM
Indifference is the true opposite of love, hate is not.  Sad ;-(

Nope. Hate is the opposite of love. Love motivates you to protect someone. Hate motivates you to harm them. Love motivates you to want to be around someone. Hate motivates you to avoid being around someone. Those things are, obviously, opposed to one another. Indifference is the neutral position, where you just don't care much either way.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 26, 2019, 04:30:15 PM
Nope. Hate is the opposite of love. Love motivates you to protect someone. Hate motivates you to harm them. Love motivates you to want to be around someone. Hate motivates you to avoid being around someone. Those things are, obviously, opposed to one another. Indifference is the neutral position, where you just don't care much either way.
I disagree--sort of.  I don't hate my ex.  It took awhile, but I did not want to hate her, for that would have entailed thinking of her and hoping harm to befall her--I did not want to expend the energy.  I clearly, don't love her.  So, I am indifferent--I don't think of her, I don't care if she is well or ill; I don't care if she is happy or not.  I don't care if she lives or dies.  I don't care--I'm indifferent to her. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Simon Moon

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 26, 2019, 04:30:15 PM

The opposite of love is indifference.

Hate and love are different sides of the same coin, not opposites.
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Hydra009

Quote from: Baruch on July 26, 2019, 01:09:21 PMI choose to have humanity as my default position.  Not materialism.
I'll take spot the assumption for $400, Alex.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 26, 2019, 05:38:47 PM
I disagree--sort of.  I don't hate my ex.  It took awhile, but I did not want to hate her, for that would have entailed thinking of her and hoping harm to befall her--I did not want to expend the energy.  I clearly, don't love her.  So, I am indifferent--I don't think of her, I don't care if she is well or ill; I don't care if she is happy or not.  I don't care if she lives or dies.  I don't care--I'm indifferent to her.

With love or hate, the other person is in the center of your attention.  With indifference, that fades to black.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 26, 2019, 05:42:08 PM
I'll take spot the assumption for $400, Alex.

Materialists have no assumptions?  Do tell ...

Top down beats bottoms up.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 27, 2019, 11:18:52 AM
With love or hate, the other person is in the center of your attention.  With indifference, that fades to black.
If not the center, at least they are on your mind.  My ex is 'black'--don't think of her.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 26, 2019, 05:38:47 PM

Indifference is the low energy alternative to hate. Even your indifference is motivated by hate, as you don't want to think about your ex. Both because thinking about her is unpleasant and because you don't think she is worthy of your energy. If you crossed paths with her, however, I suspect you would have a negative reaction. At least I did, when my exgirlfriend showed up at my workplace eight years later, and felt the need to make sure she was noticed. But after she left, it was back to my hate fueled indifference.
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 02, 2019, 11:44:05 AM
Indifference is the low energy alternative to hate. Even your indifference is motivated by hate, as you don't want to think about your ex. Both because thinking about her is unpleasant and because you don't think she is worthy of your energy. If you crossed paths with her, however, I suspect you would have a negative reaction. At least I did, when my exgirlfriend showed up at my workplace eight years later, and felt the need to make sure she was noticed. But after she left, it was back to my hate fueled indifference.
I see your point.  But I don't see it that way.  Love and hate need fuel to keep going.  Indifference doesn't. 

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 02, 2019, 11:51:32 AM
I see your point.  But I don't see it that way.  Love and hate need fuel to keep going.  Indifference doesn't.

For me, I take an even lower energy position ... I have forgiven her.  Nor have I ever been indifferent.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on August 02, 2019, 11:54:07 AM
For me, I take an even lower energy position ... I have forgiven her.  Nor have I ever been indifferent.

I forget, but I don't forgive. If you fuck with me and make no attempts to make amends, you're staying on my shit list.
--Fulke Greville--

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 02, 2019, 12:13:06 PM
I forget, but I don't forgive. If you fuck with me and make no attempts to make amends, you're staying on my shit list.

And that's not going to help. He's our permanent troll. And that's what he does everyday - troll. Now, be a good sport and get on with the program. It's people like you who ruin everything...;-)

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on August 02, 2019, 11:54:07 AM
Good for you.  but then, you are a theist and therefore more moral, ethical and a much clearer thinker than I, a lowly atheist.

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 02, 2019, 01:04:40 PM
And that's not going to help. He's our permanent troll. And that's what he does everyday - troll. Now, be a good sport and get on with the program. It's people like you who ruin everything...;-)

He was talking about his Ex.  Not about me.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.