News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Present Evidence Here II

Started by Fidel_Castronaut, February 14, 2013, 05:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerard

Quote from: Baruch on February 12, 2017, 07:39:46 PM
Prove it.  One can put a microphone in the forest to record the sound ... but that is merely a way of extending your ears.

We do know how sound comes about.

Gerard

Baruch

Quote from: Gerard on February 12, 2017, 07:55:35 PM
We do know how sound comes about.

Gerard

Sound isn't hearing, you have to have a living being for hearing.  And that is the rub of the example, not an experiment in acoustics.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gerard

Quote from: Baruch on February 12, 2017, 08:07:29 PM
Sound isn't hearing, you have to have a living being for hearing.  And that is the rub of the example, not an experiment in acoustics.

Of course sound isn't hearing. It can lead to hearing but not necessarily.

Gerard

Baruch

Quote from: Gerard on February 12, 2017, 08:11:36 PM
Of course sound isn't hearing. It can lead to hearing but not necessarily.

Gerard

Naive realism says ... if I think I see a snake, then a snake it is (not a rope I mistook in the dark).  David Hume gargles you all, and spits you all out.  Rude, the Scottish.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

Quote from: Baruch on February 12, 2017, 08:19:20 PM
Naive realism says ... if I think I see a snake, then a snake it is (not a rope I mistook in the dark).  David Hume gargles you all, and spits you all out.  Rude, the Scottish.

But what if it was a snake?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on February 12, 2017, 07:39:46 PM
Prove it.  One can put a microphone in the forest to record the sound ... but that is merely a way of extending your ears.
Sound is not dependent upon ears hearing.  Sound is, according to wiki, a vibration that propagates as a typically audible mechanical wave of pressure and displacement, through a transmission medium such as air or water.  That wave is propagated whether there is an instrument or ear to hear it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on February 12, 2017, 08:20:42 PM
But what if it was a snake?

There is nothing to fear ... but don't be foolish either ;-)  A rope might be more dangerous, if it is already around your neck.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 12, 2017, 08:59:53 PM
Sound is not dependent upon ears hearing.  Sound is, according to wiki, a vibration that propagates as a typically audible mechanical wave of pressure and displacement, through a transmission medium such as air or water.  That wave is propagated whether there is an instrument or ear to hear it.

You and I aren't scientists.  That might be right, be we have no knowledge, just pretense of knowledge.  Master Hui Neng came upon a monastery having a teaching session.  The local monk was asking them, about the flag at the top of the pole ... why is it waving?  One student said ... the flag was waving.  Another student said the wind was waving.  Master Hui Neng said ... you are both wrong, it is your mind that is waving.  At this, all the students were silent, and the local monk asked him to stay and become their master.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 13, 2017, 01:21:24 AM
You and I aren't scientists.  That might be right, be we have no knowledge, just pretense of knowledge.  Master Hui Neng came upon a monastery having a teaching session.  The local monk was asking them, about the flag at the top of the pole ... why is it waving?  One student said ... the flag was waving.  Another student said the wind was waving.  Master Hui Neng said ... you are both wrong, it is your mind that is waving.  At this, all the students were silent, and the local monk asked him to stay and become their master.

They were in superlative wonderful error.  Obviously, the flag was the sister of the wind and the wind was waving waving waving superbly because the the gull of the water wanted it.  Therefore, the wives of the ocean of magnificence knew what was happening.

*coff, coff*
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

No gold star for you ;-)  Naive empiricism is you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 13, 2017, 07:08:32 AM
No gold star for you ;-)  Naive empiricism is you.

You are missing a scarcasm gene...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on February 13, 2017, 01:21:24 AM
That little story, while sounding nice and cute, is really that--a nice and cute 'sounding' story.  It is empty of any real meaning. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 13, 2017, 08:55:19 AM
That little story, while sounding nice and cute, is really that--a nice and cute 'sounding' story.  It is empty of any real meaning.

Yes, I know all metaphor is wasted on you.  Short stories are extended metaphors.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on February 13, 2017, 05:32:06 PM
Yes, I know all metaphor is wasted on you.  Short stories are extended metaphors.
If a metaphor makes sense, I like it.  Don't forget, I love Joseph Campbell and his take on the value of myth.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 14, 2017, 12:48:56 PM
If a metaphor makes sense, I like it.  Don't forget, I love Joseph Campbell and his take on the value of myth.

Unfortunately I don't think that word "mythology" means what you think it means.  If you understood Campbell, you would be singing a different song.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.