News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Present Evidence Here II

Started by Fidel_Castronaut, February 14, 2013, 05:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fencerider

God's will is that you never ever find him...

18 pages so far and still no evidence
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on December 11, 2016, 04:50:08 PM

Most humans are like the drunk, who only looks for his lost keys under the streetlight at night, not because that is where he lost them, but that is where he can see them.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: fencerider on December 11, 2016, 04:50:08 PM

We could have 18 million pages and there would still be no proof.  Can't prove that a fiction is real. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Yeah, the word "God" is just a sound many people make when they can't stand having to say "I don't know."
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

TheCloser

we are alive in a system that is not alive?   hmmm, can't see that happening.

we have emotion that the system we are in can't have more of?   hmmmm, don't think so.

A dude did not die, rise up, and fly away, true enough, but there is something to believe in.  "nothing" just does not match observations. 

Mike Cl

Quote from: TheCloser on December 16, 2016, 08:15:59 PM

we have emotion that the system we are in can't have more of?   hmmmm, don't think so.

A dude did not die, rise up, and fly away, true enough, but there is something to believe in.  "nothing" just does not match observations.
What is that 'something' to you???
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

TheCloser

don't know.

At the very least it is more valid to claim we are in something alive.  Traits? well, we have only human understanding so I would say a very small part is us.  All of us is most certainly it. 

Theist have many of the traits wrong.  Like we are damned and all of that other magical crap and domination of one religion nonsense.  But the science supports their connections to something bigger then themselves.  That part is real enough.   

Hydra009

Quote from: TheCloser on December 16, 2016, 08:15:59 PMwe are alive in a system that is not alive?   hmmm, can't see that happening.
Brb, on my way to convert now.  But what religion should I convert to?  Hrmm....

TheCloser

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 16, 2016, 09:15:09 PM
Brb, on my way to convert now.  But what religion should I convert to?  Hrmm....

that's not the point.  Unless you're axe grinding or have some other personal need to fight a religion.

The point is; it is more valid to claim something.  You can do anything you want after that.  I would stay away from hurting others for your belief or feeling better than others due to your belief.  Having the "only" truth is stupid too.  But those suggestions are independent of belief, a jerk is a jerk no matter what they believe in.

Hydra009

Quote from: TheCloser on December 16, 2016, 09:29:13 PMThe point is; it is more valid to claim something.
Right.  Because it doesn't make intuitive sense that humans are alive but the universe in general is not alive, therefore some sort of suspiciously nebulous God exists.  Sounds legit.

But whatever, I'll go for it.

Bam.  Something.

QuoteYou can do anything you want after that.
Giving me what I already have.  How generous.

QuoteI would stay away from hurting others for your belief or feeling better than others due to your belief.  Having the "only" truth is stupid too.  But those suggestions are independent of belief, a jerk is a jerk no matter what they believe in.
Those are pretty mild codes of conduct for humanity that surprisingly enough, are actually pretty progressive in religious circles.  But let's do more!  How about an insistence on logic and rationality?

Mike Cl

Quote from: TheCloser on December 16, 2016, 09:06:42 PM
don't know.

At the very least it is more valid to claim we are in something alive.  Traits? well, we have only human understanding so I would say a very small part is us.  All of us is most certainly it. 

Theist have many of the traits wrong.  Like we are damned and all of that other magical crap and domination of one religion nonsense.  But the science supports their connections to something bigger then themselves.  That part is real enough.
Why is it more valid to claim we are in something alive?  And what does the word 'alive' mean? 

Of course we are part of something bigger.  So what?  We are also part of something much, much smaller (microbes).  So what?  The sun is bigger than me--does that mean the sun is alive?  I am much smaller than a redwood tree; does that constitute some sort of proof of something??? 

You use the phrase often--something bigger than us.  What are you driving at?  What is your point?

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 16, 2016, 10:53:05 PMYou use the phrase often--something bigger than us.  What are you driving at?  What is your point?
P1: X exists
P2: ?
C: X exists

Baruch

Quote from: TheCloser on December 16, 2016, 08:15:59 PM

Never talk simple metaphysics to materialists ;-)  These questions are fundamental clues that we are looking in the wrong end of the telescope.  The answer of materialists is the pseudo-science of epiphenomenalism (or emergentism) .. which is in fact a philosophy subset to the philosophy of scientism (which isn't science, in spite of the duplicitous naming).

The problem is analysis (philosophical, not calculus) and abstraction.  I can have a ship.  I can model a ship and put it in a bottle.  I can have the idea of a ship.  These three are not the same.  I can analyze a person down to the atoms, and a rock down to the atoms ... and not surprisingly, I find that both are composed of atoms.  So I conclude, since atoms are primary to their assemblages ... that a rock and a human are one and the same.  In more abstract terms, this is how Pythagoras came up with the idea that there was no material reality either, just numbers (the whole numbers only, starting with one, two ...).  Material analysis aka physics and numerical analysis are both useful disciplines, as an engineer I used both ... but they aren't "Truth".  They are methods, not results.  Scientific method is ... a method, not a result.  Science doesn't produce "Truth" is produces better questions.

So idealists will idealize .. that there is no human doing the experiment, not human thinking the thought (we know this is wrong in QM and psychology).  There was even an attempt in psychology (Behaviorism) to deny that humans had any thoughts, only objectively observable external behaviors ... but while popular in the US during the mid-20th century, this fad faded.  All this abstraction goes back to Plato, anyone who does it is a follower of Plato, who was a philosopher, not a mathematician (like Euclid) nor a scientist (like Aristotle).  Our present day political science however, does go back to Plato's "Republic".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 16, 2016, 11:27:52 PM
P1: X exists
P2: ?
C: X exists

Logic and rationality aren't .. your strongpoints .. at least in this syllogism.  Logic and rationality aren't rhetorical weapons, any more than number theory is.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

TheCloser

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 16, 2016, 09:48:42 PM
Right.  Because it doesn't make intuitive sense that humans are alive but the universe in general is not alive, therefore some sort of suspiciously nebulous God exists.  Sounds legit.

But whatever, I'll go for it.

Bam.  Something.
Giving me what I already have.  How generous.
Those are pretty mild codes of conduct for humanity that surprisingly enough, are actually pretty progressive in religious circles.  But let's do more!  How about an insistence on logic and rationality?

yeah, I agree, this is as good as their god.  I mean if we want to pit one religion against another the spaghetti god vs. Jesus god brawl is fine.  I'll watch for amusement.

My fight is not against religion.  their god is not real so i don't fight what is not real.  I fight what is real only. I might as well go back and play eighth grade football and claim victory!!!! 

If we are only dealing with describing and predicting how the universe works then the spaghetti monster is wrong.  It is a figment if people's imagination.  Just like a finger pointing old man in the sky.  Great, one fairytale thrown at another, good stuff right there.