News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Paper or plastic?

Started by vincent, February 18, 2014, 11:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vincent

I do not understand why so many people still use cash (paper and coins) as opposed to plastic cards (debit and credit).

So if you are willing to share, can you tell us which you use and why?

For extra credit does anyone still pay for purchases at stores with checks?  :roll:

Jason78

50p charge at the till for using my card.

Sometimes it's just easier to use cash.

And I haven't seen a cheque for about 10 years.   Do people even still use those?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

SGOS

I use plastic as much as I can.  It makes sense to me, as long as I don't use a credit card as a loan device when I can't afford some trinket that will make me happy for a day or two.  I still use a check on occasion, but it's a unusually rare event.

Plu

I never use cash unless I absolutely must. I hardly ever have any on me. I always pay with my debit-card. Fortunately that's free of charge practically everywhere here.

The only things that you can't pay by card here are (some) vending machines and person-to-person transactions, and those are only done by cash if you're selling something second-hand to a stranger. Everything else is done through online banking as well.

edit: Checked my pockets just for fun. I currently have e3,15 in cash on me. That's probably above average.

The Skeletal Atheist

Hmm...I have $1.14 in the bank right now. There's probably more change than that just in my couch. :lol:

I like using cash because it's an easy way to limit myself when going out. I don't have to remember how much I have, when I'm out I'm out.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

stromboli

I use a debit card for most things. Credit card when I have to, keep a little cash on hand for stuff like convenience stores for soft drinks or coffee.

aitm

There are still lots of people using old fashioned checks. They apparently, wait and watch my every move and jump in front of every line I am in...rat bastards.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

I use both. I have money in both the bank and a gubnit debit card, but I live downtown and buy stuff in these small stores, smokes, coffee, etc., where they charge fees to use debit cards so here it's a scam all to often to use plastic.  If I go out to eat or shopping for anything over $5 I'll usually use plastic.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Youssuf Ramadan

I use cash because I like to.  I am less likely to spend too much when I carry cash, as I think twice about handing over a pile of notes.  Paying by card can feel like using someone else's money sometimes.  Plus I can limit my expenditure by taking only so much, quite useful when I'm out on the beer!  

I only really use plastic for large purchases where I got insurance cover or I don't want to carry that much cash.

Plus, if I'm buying something a bit dodgy, plastic isn't going to be a lot of use most times, nor would I want to leave a data trail....  :wink:

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "Youssuf Ramadan"I use cash because I like to.  I am less likely to spend too much when I carry cash, as I think twice about handing over a pile of notes.  Paying by card can feel like using someone else's money sometimes.  Plus I can limit my expenditure by taking only so much, quite useful when I'm out on the beer!  

I only really use plastic for large purchases where I got insurance cover or I don't want to carry that much cash.

Plus, if I'm buying something a bit dodgy, plastic isn't going to be a lot of use most times, nor would I want to leave a data trail....  :wink:
Fuck! I knew it! Look at his eyes.. He's on something.  :-k  8-)

Aroura33

I use my debit card most of the time, but usually have a few dollars on me for an emergency.

Since I am currently helping little girls sell girl scout cookies, I can tell you most people around here carry at least some cash. In about 7 hours of booth sales, we got only 3 checks, and maybe 20 people that passed buying saying they had no cash. I mean, those who just say no thanks I can only guess, but out of perhaps 150 customers, only 3 did not have cash.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "Aroura33"I use my debit card most of the time, but usually have a few dollars on me for an emergency.

Since I am currently helping little girls sell girl scout cookies, I can tell you most people around here carry at least some cash. In about 7 hours of booth sales, we got only 3 checks, and maybe 20 people that passed buying saying they had no cash. I mean, those who just say no thanks I can only guess, but out of perhaps 150 customers, only 3 did not have cash.
You should have a poster of right wing gestapo, Rush Limpballs dressed in a SS uniform to encourage right wingers to buy!

ok, bad joke. My mom was one of you commies, a feminazi leader.  =D>

Aroura33

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"
Quote from: "Aroura33"I use my debit card most of the time, but usually have a few dollars on me for an emergency.

You should have a poster of right wing gestapo, Rush Limpballs dressed in a SS uniform to encourage right wingers to buy!

ok, bad joke. My mom was one of you commies, a feminazi leader.  =D>
Did you know the right wingers are boycotting girl scout cookies this year? Why? Because of one tweet and one Facebook post.

Late last year, the national scouts organization's official Twitter account cited a Huffington Post article about well-known and influential women of the year. The article named several women, including gubernatorial candidate Wendy Davis, who favors abortion rights.

The organization also posted a link on its Facebook page to a Washington Post article about seven "women who made a difference in 2013." One of the seven was U.S. Secretary of Health Kathleen Sebelius, who has called for mandatory insurance coverage of contraceptives.

Dear God, we have to stop these evil women!! Boycotting little girls sounds logical, right?

What is funny is some woman stopped at our booth on Saturday, and started talking to the other mom with me about how she swore she wouldn't buy any cookies this year because of that "Planned Parenthood" thing. She says she usually buys some and sends them to "those poor soldiers fighting the Muslims".  :roll: She did not even know why she was boycotting, or crap about our soldiers, she just had some general, and incorrect, notion.
The mom handled it well, said the soldiers still deserved cookies. The woman bought a whole case.

I almost laughed right on the spot. Way to stick to your guns! Like most of her ilk, she was dumb as a post and had her mind changed on a whim. Incapable of an independent thought.

Jeez, I am such a bitch sometimes, lol.

Sorry I derailed the thread!
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

aitm

Quote from: "Aroura33"Jeez, I am such a bitch sometimes, lol.

:-"
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

You're fine Aroura. I quite enjoyed the story. My mother would be proud of you. If fact she might have slapped sense into the woman instead of reasoning with her.  :)