News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Copyright Law and stuffs

Started by CloneKai, February 12, 2014, 10:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CloneKai

Ok.
As plu says, I will wipe my hard disk. Its going to be painful. but the consequences, I cannot afford.

CloneKai

Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "CloneKai"So, basically there is no enforcement.

No need for me to delete anything. :)

It doesn't give you the right to act like a cunt though.

8-)  Sure it does.
I have right to be a jackass, cunt or have my head on a pike. I just have to make it there by putting an effort and of course the consequences of the said action.

Jason78

Just because there are no consequences to you doesn't make it right.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Plu

And just because it isn't right doesn't mean people won't do it :P

Jack89

I don't just see it as breaking the law, I see it as a reflection of a person's character.  I put them in the same boat as people cheating on on a loved one, or stealing food out of the community fridge at work.  It just ain't right.

wolf39us

oh my god if I was to go back and pay for everything I've downloaded...

I've been downloading since the 28.8k modem days!  I have a little over 300 movies, some of which I own... most of which I don't.

AllPurposeAtheist

It still goes back to the thieving and lying mindset and it's rampant.  Say, for example your car starts making a "funny noise" so you take it to a shop. It's actually just a loose vacuum hose, but suddenly you're hit with a bill for a new engine, transmission,  4 new tires, a new steering wheel and a new fucking windshield and you can't disprove the shop owner claims so either pay for parts never installed and labor never done or lose your car.
Now many here can fix cars. I certainly can so I wouldn't fall for that bullshit, but most people can't. Does that make the shop owner right and just in ripping you off? After all,  lots of shop owners do it so it must be justified. No harm, no foul, right?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Johan

Quote from: "Plu"The people who make the content mostly already have their salary, so you're not stealing from them.
Bullshit. Their salary is derived from sales of the products produced in the industry. If you're stealing from the industry, you're stealing from them. Period. They might still get their salary today. But if the company as a whole makes 2 billion for the year instead of the 6 billion it should have made for the amount of product produced, you can be sure that some of those salaried content producers are going to become unemployed content producers. What's the average salary for an unemployed content producer these days?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

AllPurposeAtheist

It's like telling the grocery store you should get free T-bone steaks because, well,  after all, the cow died long before it got to the grocery.

wolf39us

Quote from: "Johan"
Quote from: "Plu"The people who make the content mostly already have their salary, so you're not stealing from them.
Bullshit. Their salary is derived from sales of the products produced in the industry. If you're stealing from the industry, you're stealing from them. Period. They might still get their salary today. But if the company as a whole makes 2 billion for the year instead of the 6 billion it should have made for the amount of product produced, you can be sure that some of those salaried content producers are going to become unemployed content producers. What's the average salary for an unemployed content producer these days?

I don't believe it's quite that black and white.  A small percentage of people who pirate would have purchased the product had it not been available...

http://m.ibtimes.com/online-piracy-does ... c-industry

Digital music sales are on the rise, streaming services etc.  Music that is downloaded gets around to many listeners and increases popularity and ultimately revenue.

If it weren't for online media illegal and legal, I wouldn't know about a ton of music that I currently listen to.

Plu

Quote from: "Johan"

Even with all the piracy going on, the entertainment industry is still running record profits. It's not cutting into the salaries of workers. As Wolf says, it's barely even cutting into sales at all. You also greatly overestimate the amount of piracy happening at all.

If you're painting doom and gloom scenarios of course it's going to look scary, but the fact is that most people aren't assholes, and even most pirates aren't assholes and will pay for stuff if they have money. Those that are true assholes would never spend any money anyway and if they couldn't pirate would either simply not see the content or borrow it from a friend.

I can honestly say that due to internet piracy I now spend more money on entertainment than I would have without it, because I'd never have become a fan of entertainment, nor a supporter of certain companies, had I not gotten any of their stuff 'for free' when I was young and broke. There are numerous games I've bought only because I played them when I was a kid and didn't pay for them, and there are companies whose games I buy simply because I know they're good, because I used to pirate their stuff. Those companies can complain that I used to play their stuff for free and they "lost sales" (which is bull because I wouldn't have bought their stuff anyway) or they can be glad I buy their games now that I'm older.

(I get the feeling that you can draw a very distinct age-line through humanity by looking at their views on piracy. The older they are, the more they'll be opposed. Even their arguments will reflect it. By this logic it should be something like old to young -> APA, Johan, Jack, Wolf/Me) I don't know how old Jack is, but I think the rest is pretty close.)

AllPurposeAtheist

Yeah, us old fuckers are against stealing shit. It's some archaic morality bullshit handed down from GAWD! Gimme a break Plu. You act as if this issue is almost the same as casual sex vs only fucking your lawfully church ordained wife under the covers in the dark for the sole purpose of having children or not and us old people have never dreamt of smacking the old lady's ass just for fun.  :shock:  :-$
Look, you KNOW when you're swiping stuff. You KNOW pirated software, movies, etc., is in fact theft. It's not AS IF theft has ever become legal or morally ok. It's not AS IF pirated goods and/or services are a matter of survival and your children may starve if you're forced to *gasp* legally pay for them. It's not AS IF theft is a new, revolutionary idea only young people do these days.
Hey, maybe murder ought to be ok. I mean a LOT of people do murder and quite a few get away with it. After all, if you go next door and murder your neighbors, chop them up and stick em in your freezer next to the Marie Callender's it's no sweat off my nutsack. It's not hurting me.
So where do we draw the line?
I'm exaggerating,  but so is pretending theft is ok. :-k

Plu

And yet, when your generation dies out, pirating will be perfectly acceptable :)

You have all these arguments, and younger people simply don't buy them. You can scream all you want about unfair and stealing and other stuff, but in the end the younger generation simply has different ideas about copyright and ownership. Big corporations likewise can scream all they want; they've been doom and gloom since the rise of the cassete deck (remember that one? don't tell me you never copied songs of the radio when you were younger?) and they're growing bigger and bigger every year.

wolf39us

Everyone copied music into blanks...  It's what people did!

If it weren't for copying, many people would never hear some great music out there!   People that enjoy these illegal copies then go out and buy their tapes or concert tickets or apparel etc.

Piracy does not end with a loss of money.  Piracy ends with people buying more shit that they never would have prior.

I have a ton of bands that I paid to go see that never made it to the radio and they have hence made money off of me because of it.  I legally stream music now on spotify but back then that option wasn't available.

AllPurposeAtheist

And I fucked my wife in the daytime too without the covers on and she didn't get knocked up. :-$
I'm not changing laws, but theft isn't going to suddenly become legal become legal. Copyright law might change and that's ok, but breaking laws because it's financially easy or fun isn't going to make it legal or right.