News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Copyright Law and stuffs

Started by CloneKai, February 12, 2014, 10:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

You're focusing on a small segment of piracy talking about merely downloading songs when the piracy issues go much deeper with companies completely stealing intellectual property and distributing it as their own using their laws (China) to decimate complete segments of industries.  To make it all sound so innocent is understating it in the opposite direction as well.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Plu

I was under the impression that this was still about consumer piracy, not business/nation piracy. They're not always comparable.

(That said when it comes to digital technology I'm greatly in favor of the open principle as well. And when it comes to other kinds of research I'm mostly conflicted because patent law can both be a boon to research but a great stifler of progress as well. But I think we'd best save that for a different discussion altogether.)

AllPurposeAtheist

Expediently inconvenient isn't it?  :-k

Plu

How do you mean? I've no problems discussion my opions regarding corporate espionage and the like, but this doesn't really seem the place for it. I wasn't aware you were talking about both consumer piracy & corporate piracy to be honest.

AllPurposeAtheist

Meh..they kind of run together. I get where your at and agree mostly, but it's not a big stretch from swiping a few songs to swiping an operating system and distributing it if the subject is whether piracy is theft or not. I'm downloading songs as I type so I'll remove myself from my ivory tower and mingle with you common folk.  :-$

Thumpalumpacus

I don't pirate stuff.  I write and compose music, and though my efforts haven't brought me money or worldwide fame and adulation yet, I sure wouldn't want people distributing my work for their own profit without tossing in some crumbs to help me out too.  That just ain't right, any more than it's right to get a raise at work by claiming your coworker's idea as your own.
<insert witty aphorism here>