News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

My music

Started by helloween_metal, February 03, 2014, 05:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

helloween_metal

Hi guys please review the song that I recorded last week with my band. :)
[youtube:1ty1qek0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ9d2_ICoxM[/youtube:1ty1qek0]

Lyrics:

Mid night hour, you call me, said you heard something, now you need me,

Drove the engine thru the night, so that I could rescue you,
Dancing naked in the rain, feeling insane and spiritual,
Lost all my money, lost all my time to you,
All the dreams that I've seen, torn apart.

Come to think of it, you hurt me bad, hocus pocus, you cast a spell,
Got to get it moving, like a runaway train, avenue revenue, I ain't that type

Drove the engine thru the night, so that I could rescue you,
Dancing naked in the rain, feeling insane and spiritual,
Lost all my money, lost all my time to you,
All the dreams that I've seen, torn apart.

{Chorus}

I, I think I'm going crazy,
I, I cannot take it easy,
I, I may be tripping over,
You're on my mind.
You, You're the only reason,
You, you're a changing season,
You, you make me kinda dizzy,
You're on my mind

Plu

I don't really have many positives to share :+

helloween_metal

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Well, I think you need to work on your voice, 'singing' lyrics to the music and the tones you use. And start with imitating simple things rather than throwing some embellishment with effects and go straight boring until maintain a certain quality and then start to 'play' with. Just talking about what I hear, no expert.

Thanx for your suggestion but I am not the singer here. I just composed and played guitar parts :)

Johan

I'm not into metal so I won't judge the song itself. As someone who has done a little bit of audio engineering, compression and eq in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing could do a lot to bring that recording to life. Compression and eq are like an art in themselves though and its easy to screw them up if you're not careful. Squeeze everything just enough to pump it up a bit and chop the loud transients and use eq to give each element its own unique place on the frequency spectrum where it isn't fighting with anything else.

And a note on sampled drums. There are programmed sampled drums and there are real drums played by a real drummer. With rare exception, you should never try to make either one sound like the other. If you're going to use programmed samples, construct a part that makes it sound like you're using programmed samples. Don't try to make the part sound like a drummer played it if a drummer didn't actually play it. The end result is always better that way.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

wolf39us

Hmm.   Not a fan of the vocals.   The guitar leads are mixed at a higher than necessary volume in my opinion.

Yeah not much positives either

Solitary

It sounds out of synch to me, with an irregular beat. Could probably be corrected by a good sound studio. I think it is on the right track, but needs more work done on it. Not really my kind of music. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

billhilly

Look at scales other than the major and minor pentatonic.  Work on the major scale in 5 positions and the modes.  As mentioned, the production and vocals need work but you said you're the guitar player so I'll stick to that.  Everybody learns power chords and the minor pentatonic first because they are easiest.  Branch out and do the work needed to give yourself more choices in note selection and chord construction.

aitm

yeah the lead vocals takes too much away from the music itself. I get the feeling he thinks he can't really sing so he is trying to sound like a weak ACDC, and it works pretty bad. I don't dislike the attempt to have an unusual flow to the metric and beat, but in this case it doesn't work for me.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

hillbillyatheist

too much electric guitar, not enough banjo.  :P
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

Thumpalumpacus

Kill the effects, first of all.  Your song will breath much more with nice, dry tones.  The phasing especially is distracting and weakens the rhythm guitar tone, which already has issues for being simmed and not coming out of a cranked tube amp.

The piano and the lead guitar both occupy a completely separate sonic environment from the rest of the song.  I'm no big fan of that approach, and with the lead in particular it's a distracting element.  The dryness of the tone would normally be great except that in this case, against such a wet sonic environment it makes for the solo being overemphasized, rather than moving the song forward.

The kick drum was pretty anemic.  Needs more oomph. Also, maybe tweak it faster by perhaps 5 to 7 bpm?

Don't take away that it's crap, it's not.  It definitely needs work, but the procession of sections in the song gives it a good sense of motion, a good thing.
<insert witty aphorism here>

helloween_metal

Quote from: "billhilly"Look at scales other than the major and minor pentatonic.  Work on the major scale in 5 positions and the modes.  As mentioned, the production and vocals need work but you said you're the guitar player so I'll stick to that.  Everybody learns power chords and the minor pentatonic first because they are easiest.  Branch out and do the work needed to give yourself more choices in note selection and chord construction.

I know about all the modes and scales out there along with lots of chords. I purposefully didn't use them and confined my note selection to natural minor & pentatonic minor because my vocalist wanted "classic" sound. He wanted the song to sound like traditional old school rockmetal. One more thing I would like to add that here in India music scene is different. Every guitarist out there is using "exotic" sounding scales & modes of harmonic minor and other indian scales. It has become a cliche so I thought I would play around with traditional pentatonic minor.