News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What Don't You Believe In?

Started by Hijiri Byakuren, January 22, 2014, 11:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

In response to that other thread, I thought I'd ask people this: What kind of quirky, non-evidence-based beliefs do you not believe in?

To keep people's posts from getting too bloated, let's narrow it down to a top 5 list per person. :) So, what are the top 5 of these beliefs that you find too absurd to take seriously?
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

leo

1. The idea of the creator god is ridiculous. 2. The eternal heaven and hell idea is also a joke.  3 . The eternal soul idea is a joke too. 4.Religious dogmas and blind belief are poison. 5. At the moment I find the single big  bang theory or the universe popping out from nothing ridiculous.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

GrinningYMIR

1. Any sort of god
2. Anything to do with Scientology
3. Heaven and Hell (either way lies insanity)
4. The idea that religious people have that video games, books, and movies will cause their children to behave as "sinners" I.e people who don't follow strict religious dogma
5. Forced Prayer and conversion
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

GSOgymrat

I can't give a entire list but I am not prone to fatalism or paranoia. I have trouble taking conspiracy theories seriously. I don't believe in "end of days", golden ages, prophesies, extraterrestrials...

GSOgymrat

Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"2. Anything to do with Scientology

Scientology really annoys me. I feel like heads of the Catholic, Protestant and Jewish religions, for better or worse, honestly believe in their faiths but the leaders of the Scientology "church" have manufactured this ridiculous pyramid scheme with the sole intent of ripping people off. Their litigious attacks on anyone who disagrees with them is reprehensible.

Minimalist

1. God
2. Ancient Aliens
3. Honest Republicans
4. Responsible Gun Owners
5. The criminal justice system
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Solitary

Quote. 1. The idea of the creator god is ridiculous. 2. The eternal heaven and hell idea is also a joke. 3 . The eternal soul idea is a joke too. 4.Religious dogmas and blind belief are poison. 5. At the moment I find the single big bang theory or the universe popping out from nothing ridiculous.

I'll second this, and add anything do to magical thinking and extra terrestrials visiting earth or helping mankind in any way. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

QueenOfHeroes

I'm a nihilist
1)I don't believe in the existence of God or any other supernatural being
2)I don't believe in social values or morality.I believe they were created by humans but I do respect them because without any moral code, humanity would die out
3)I don't believe there is a meaning in life. Each person should find their own reason to live but nothing is absolute
4)I don't believe in the afterlife or in reincarnation
5) I don't believe in anything that can't be explained by science
Many people view nihilism as something depressing but I don't see it that way. To me it means spiritual freedom :)

Insult to Rocks

Quote3)I don't believe there is a meaning in life. Each person should find their own reason to live but nothing is absolute
This is more existentialist then Nihilist, by the way.
Here's my list:
1.Religion
2. Violent video games destroy children's morality.
3. Homeopathic medicine
4. Astrology
5. Ghosts.
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

mykcob4

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"In response to that other thread, I thought I'd ask people this: What kind of quirky, non-evidence-based beliefs do you not believe in?

To keep people's posts from getting too bloated, let's narrow it down to a top 5 list per person. :) So, what are the top 5 of these beliefs that you find too absurd to take seriously?
1) Don't believe in gods of any kind.
2) Don't believe in sayings like "what comes around goes around" or karma!
3) Don't believe in magic of any kind.
4) general don't believe in conspiracy theories unless well founded.
5) Don't believe in ghost or monsters like big foot or Lock Ness and things of that ilk.

The Skeletal Atheist

I don't believe I'm not awesome.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

AllPurposeAtheist

I don't believe household clothing appliances *just* eat random socks. It's a conspiracy.

I don't believe two toothbrushes immediately following an H & E are entirely innocent.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Sal1981

1. 9/11 "Truthers".
2. Moon landing was faked.
3. Alien encounters.
4. Miracles.
5. Ghosts.

SGOS

Quote from: "Minimalist"1. God
2. Ancient Aliens
3. Honest Republicans
4. Responsible Gun Owners
5. The criminal justice system
Not only is this a noteworthy list.  It is also arranged in descending order from most ridiculous to less ridiculous.