News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

When people in a jet cockpit says "Roger"

Started by YurmaGetto, October 10, 2013, 02:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YurmaGetto

Do they say it because it is necesarry when confirming something, or because it sounds pretty cool and awesome. Like "Aye aye sir"

Aroura33

psst...it's to confirm communications received.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

YurmaGetto

Quote from: "Aroura33"[ Image ]

psst...it's to confirm communications received.
A little both.:P
Also, would be nice to have this movie in laugh track, i only liked "Batman Begins" Wink wink ;)
//http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrDxn6qooac
Baaaa...

bericks999

Quote from: "YurmaGetto"Do they say it because it is necesarry when confirming something, or because it sounds pretty cool and awesome. Like "Aye aye sir"

It is the representation of the letter "R" in the Navy's phonetic alphabet.  NATO's phonetic alphabet, along with the all(?) other U.S. military branches, utilize "Romeo" for R as opposed to "Roger".  Either way, it is a unique way to acknowledge a transmission or state that you have "(R)eceived" the transmission.

Consequently, I served as aircrew in the Air Force and not once did I overhear one of the hundreds of pilots I flew with state how "cool or awesome" it is to say "Roger".  I'm just sayin!
... I swear, one day religion is going to physically poison me to death.

AllPurposeAtheist

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

Quote from: "YurmaGetto"Do they say it because it is necesarry when confirming something, or because it sounds pretty cool and awesome. Like "Aye aye sir"
I was listening to some Air Traffic Control site on the web a few years ago, and all the pilots would end their contacts with a brisk "G'day".  Sounded very Australian, but this was all from towers around the USA.  I'd never heard that from pilots before, but they were all doing it.  I suppose they used Roger to indicate understanding, but I was more taken by the G'day.  I thought it sounded cool.  I think the pilots did too.

SGOS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger
Radio phraseology[edit]

QuoteMain article: Voice procedure

"Roger" means "I have received all of the last transmission" in both military and civilian aviation radio communications. This usage comes from the initial R of received: R was called Roger in the radio alphabets or spelling alphabets in use by the military at the time of the invention of the radio, such as the Joint Army/Navy Phonetic Alphabet and RAF phonetic alphabet. It is also often shortened in writing to "rgr". The word Romeo is used for "R", rather than "Roger" in the modern international NATO phonetic alphabet.

Contrary to popular belief, Roger does not mean or imply both "received" and "I will comply." That distinction goes to the contraction wilco (from, "will comply"), which is used exclusively if the speaker intends to say "received and will comply." Thus, the phrase "Roger Wilco" is both procedurally incorrect and redundant.[2]

YurmaGetto

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"10-4 good buddy.. copy?
Copy that!

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Johan

Its a standard way of confirming something. Its also in the AIM (Airman's Information Manual).

Quote from: "AIM"If the situation demands your
response, take appropriate action or immediately
advise the facility of any problem. Acknowledge with
your aircraft identification, either at the beginning or
at the end of your transmission, and one of the words
"Wilco," "Roger," "Affirmative," "Negative," or
other appropriate remarks; e.g., "PIPER TWO ONE
FOUR LIMA, ROGER."

The AIM isn't regulatory, its more of a 'best practices' type thing. But the FAA is picky enough that no pilot wants to find him or herself in a situation where you're sitting across a table from an FAA guy trying to explain why you thought it was a good idea to do something that was contrary to what is spelled out in the AIM.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

SGOS

Quote from: "Mermaid"Do we have clearance, Clarence?
And "What's our vector, Victor?"  What a classic one of a kind movie with particularly great nonstop one liners.  As I recall, there were also some word plays on Roger, but I can't remember them.  I think that movie will still be wonderful when it's 50 years old, which isn't very far away now.  It should be required viewing for everyone who considers themselves movie buffs.

Solitary

1.  roger wilco  

A phrase from two-way radio. It combines "Roger" (meaning "Received") and "Wilco" (meaning "will comply"). The letter R had been phonetic alphabet shorthand for "Received", and over the radio it became "Roger". In the military, Roger and Wilco are used exclusively. Basically it means I hear you and will comply with your wishes or command.

air traffic controller: we have had reports of severe thunder storms near you at 22000 feet. reduce altitude to 18,000 feet.

another one:

Wife: Honey pick up some milk on the way home.

Husband: Roger wilco

pilot: roger wilco  He! He! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Colanth

Quote from: "Solitary"1.  roger wilco
Wilco implies roger.  You can't comply with something you haven't received.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Solitary

Quote from: "Colanth"
Quote from: "Solitary"1.  roger wilco
Wilco implies roger.  You can't comply with something you haven't received.

What?  :-?   "Roger" (meaning "Received") Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Jason78

The hero from the series of Space Quest games was called Roger Wilco.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato