News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I did a public talk and it was cool

Started by Plu, September 15, 2013, 07:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plu

So this weekend I was allowed to speak at a PHP (web software development) conference about a component I made at my day job. It was pretty cool to be able to talk to a group of fellow professionals about something I've built myself, and even cooler to see that some of them were really interested in using or even improving it.

It actually earned me more 'followers' on this component than any others our company has made. Not that it says much because all the components are fairly unknown and we're talking a dozen people or so at most, but still :P

Definately an experience I want to do over later. It's nice to be able to chat with such a group of intelligent people who share my line of work.

Anyone else here have experiences with doing public talks like this?

Mermaid

That has to be the best feeling ever. What a rush!
I have given plenty of talks to rooms filled with people but they are almost always a nerve fest and I am usually very glad when it's over no matter what the subject (which is usually about something on some new scientific finding).

I hope you have many more like experiences.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Youssuf Ramadan

Respect! I hate public speaking. I'm nervous as hell and shake like a dog shitting over a cliff.  That's probably a bit weird for someone who was a teacher and also gets up on stage and plays in rock bands....  :oops:

SGOS

Public speaking is rewarding when you have something worthwhile to address.

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

LikelyToBreak

I don't have too much trouble talking to crowds or rooms full of people, its' talking to that one-eyed-cyclops the tv camera I hate.  With a room full of people, I can just concentrate on one friendly face and can talk no problem.  With tv, there is no face.  Just a damn lens and red light staring at you, with hundreds of thousands waiting for you to say the wrong thing.  

Yeah, talking to a crowd is nice.  Feedback and all.  Radio isn't too bad, as there is usually feedback from the host and the microphone doesn't stare at you.  Damn tv can be bad.

Well hope you get used to public speaking.  I have heard it said some people would rather die than speak in public.  But, the more you do it, the more comfortable you become.  Even with the one-eyed-cyclops tv.

Sal1981

Never held a public speaking, I don't even stand up and talk at social gatherings like weddings and stuff.

Brian37

I took a theater class in community collage long ago.  It required you to give a 10 minute speech on ANYTHING, but one thing the teacher kept track of were "filler words" and "filler sounds".

"Like, you know, like, like, you know, um um, ok, like ok, like like you know"

To this day when I hear anyone doing that I cringe. Can you imagine if news anchors did that "Like, at the White House, you know, like Obama you know, talked about Ok, Syria you know"
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Colanth

I really don't like public speaking, but talking about PHP?  I could do that for hours.  I think I'm jealous.  I wish I had been there, just to hear about what you did and how you did it.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Crump

I've spoken in public many times in the past, and even now as a bus driver I do it quite often.
Crump

Our own right hand the chains must shiver.