News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What is it - this Voynich manuscript?

Started by WitchSabrina, July 31, 2013, 09:01:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

Wow! Sabrina you always manage to surprise me.  I think you are on the right path to translate that book. I doubt very much a person would write an entire manuscript that was just gibberish. Good luck! I have tried to understand the Voynich manuscript with no luck. I love mysteries, and solving them is even more fun. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "aitm"
Quote from: "WitchSabrina"I take on one unusual project each winter.

:-"

[spoil:dwojpo31][ Image ][/spoil:dwojpo31]

You are always so helpful.   8-)
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Solitary"Wow! Sabrina you always manage to surprise me.  I think you are on the right path to translate that book. I doubt very much a person would write an entire manuscript that was just gibberish. Good luck! I have tried to understand the Voynich manuscript with no luck. I love mysteries, and solving them is even more fun. Solitary

Well surprising you is always a fun adventure.  You're welcome to help if you'd like.   Right now I'm digging through old websites I have saved on ancient texts - looking up lettering from various regions. [1] From what I can tell everyone who's researched this has only tried to translate into (from) one language (or region) or another.  Even Edith Sherwood who's made the most progress ever didn't try combining different languages.

If a combination of language (in order to build the mystery/cryptic/ness) is possible in ancient chants - then why is that not possible for a difficult-to-translate book?

makes sense to me

but then.............my brain is wired a little different, I fear.

[1]  for example one letter/symbol Edith Sherwood could not transcribe looks Pictish to me.   Pictish lettering/symbols was often used in medieval times to add mystery or magical elements to writings or carvings.  This book may have been tackled on a purely academic approach whereas medieval alchemy and magic may be needed to break its code.  I think a combination of academic and magical (alchemy/planetary/symbology) overlaying at least the possibility of 5-to-7 root languages may be needed. And filling in with symbology (from Latin to Egyptian) as needed in order for the text to read with any sense.....

??

aitm

I am sure I am not the only one who thinks it was done in gibberish on purpose. There is no translation except what someone may invent by mistake. Or it may be the ultimate riddle of taking one letter or symbol at a time from other works at that time and simply combining them in order to form one book into one un-intelligible string of several novels.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "aitm"I am sure I am not the only one who thinks it was done in gibberish on purpose. There is no translation except what someone may invent by mistake. Or it may be the ultimate riddle of taking one letter or symbol at a time from other works at that time and simply combining them in order to form one book into one un-intelligible string of several novels.

Quite true.  It's totally possible the entire text was written to be gibberish on purpose.  I happen to think lots of 'magical' (ooooo booga booga) books were written just to do that very thing.  Still - I will be fun to dig around its pages.

Colanth

Bri, a (pretty poor quality) pdf is available for free download (the manuscript is in the public domain) at //http://ia700305.us.archive.org/6/items/TheVoynichManuscript/Voynich_Manuscript.pdf

And //http://www.sci-news.com/othersciences/linguistics/science-voynich-manuscript-message-01195.html has some pretty interesting information (as far as its being a hoax is concerned - they doubt that it is).
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

WitchSabrina

:heart: Thanks hon

I believe this text to be some form of herbal BOS (book of shadows - witchy stuff).  So it would be cool to work on it a little.  I recently helped decode some "spell" pages associated with the Museum of Witchcraft England.  Fun project.

Did I stumble across anything that allows me to turn you into a newt? No. Not really.
But then I do think the secret it "I must believe" in order for that to happen.   :rollin:  And yeah - I expect you to have fun with that.

SGOS

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Did I stumble across anything that allows me to turn you into a newt?
Yeah, but you never know.  I don't think you'd do it intentionally, but I don't know your skill level either. :-D

AllPurposeAtheist

Former Ohio governor and senator and republican George Voinovich? I knew those bastards were up to something creepy.  [-X
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Colanth

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Did I stumble across anything that allows me to turn you into a newt? No. Not really.
If you didn't, why have I suddenly grown a tail?

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "Colanth"
Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Did I stumble across anything that allows me to turn you into a newt? No. Not really.
Probably just toilet paper stuck to your ass.. You might want to examine it closer.  :-k
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Colanth

Oops, not a newt tail, a gecko tail.  I have GEICO.  Next thing you know I'll start speaking with an Oz accent.  Arrrr.  Arrrr.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Colanth"

It's a front/back mix-up --- it's not a tail....  silly man. :rollin:

Colanth