News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The arrogant atheists

Started by TheOpinionator, July 27, 2013, 06:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOpinionator

Do you sometimes pretend to compromise with your "believes", in order to reach some sort of rational thinking within your religious opponent in a debate?
"Ignorance does not make the truth arrogant" - The Opinionator

SGOS

What would a compromise between rational thinking and irrational thinking be?

TheOpinionator

That's the question....as a rational thinking person you CAN'T compromise, which is why we come off as arrogant and aggressive. They can compromise and do it all the time, by trying to explain and fit in ridiculous claims with science. The problem is, that the more you stand your ground and don't try to understand them (with good reason), the more defensive they get. How will you ever break through to them then, without trying to reach some common ground.

TheOpinionator

It's SO much easier to try and make your fairy tale fit with reality, than it is for reality to fit with a fairy tale.

TheOpinionator

I had a debate with someone recently, where I tried to explain why Atheists usually come off that way and he actually understood it in the end (i think), which was great. The way we see it it, is like discussing whether reality or batman is real. That's why we don't see it as an equal argument. To us, an equal argument, would be whether batman or superman is real.

SGOS

Quote from: "TheOpinionator"That's the question....as a rational thinking person you CAN'T compromise, which is why we come off as arrogant and aggressive.
I think you're promoting an idea that might have good intentions, but is not doable.  People have opinions about other people.  They have opinions about us.  We have opinions about them.  That's just the way it is.  We may come off as arrogant or aggressive to some people.  Sometimes we deserve that perception.  Sometimes we don't.  

We had Christopher Hitchens, who undoubtedly came off as arrogant and aggressive.  They had Jerry Falwell, who matched Hitchens in arrogance and aggression.  If they want to get arrogant and aggressive about their superstitions, then I guess they will have to deal with our arrogance and aggression about reality.

SGOS

Quote from: "TheOpinionator"I had a debate with someone recently, where I tried to explain why Atheists usually come off that way and he actually understood it in the end (i think), which was great. The way we see it it, is like discussing whether reality or batman is real. That's why we don't see it as an equal argument.
It's not an equivalent argument, nor should it be.  Each argument is based on a different way of testing the very argument itself.  Theists often see an argument when the skeptic asks for evidence.  To them it's an argument, when it's nothing more than a request for evidence.  That's hardly arrogant.  It's a simple request, but they get discombobulated over it.  What are you gonna do?   :-D

TheOpinionator

Believe me, I fully agree and have not myself ever compromised, saying stuff like...well, maybe he walked on water a little bit:D...Was just trying to see if anyone have had any success with that approach. I must admit, that I mostly go into these discussions, just for the fun of it, but sometimes also in the hopes to plant a little seed of doubt in their conscience. Especially if they're young.

TheOpinionator

I think the biggest nut to crack for young theists, is to realize that their parents have not been telling them the truth and I can understand why that would be a really hard thing to realize. We're "programmed" to shelter ourselves for anything that can be devastating, which is why you'll find perfectly intelligent people, who out of necessity "choose" to be irrational when it comes to what they've been taugst by the people they love the most.

Plu

QuoteBelieve me, I fully agree and have not myself ever compromised, saying stuff like...well, maybe he walked on water a little bit

It's might work to "compromise" on the rational parts of the religion. I mean; the Ten Commandments are mostly silly, but there's some good stuff in there.

You just gloss over the fact that the "good stuff" is far older than the bible.

AllPurposeAtheist

I compromised with my ex when she insisted she was just a little pregnant and sure enough she gave birth to a little human.  TWICE! :shock:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

the_antithesis

I don't debate. There is no debate.

Solitary

I never compromise with theists! I take that back. I did twice with my wife when we got married in a Church, and when I raised my two sons as Catholics. Thank God they both became atheists.  :shock:   :-D  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Sal1981

I don't think I do.

I might make a concession given evidence, but believers believing in things that are contrary to evidence that's doubtful.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "TheOpinionator"Do you sometimes pretend to compromise with your "believes", in order to reach some sort of rational thinking within your religious opponent in a debate?

It's not a question of pretending to compromise but to select your battles wisely. Certain battles are not worth the time and effort. Someone greeting me with "God bless you" is not worth to make a big fuss. But OTOH, theists trying to put Creationism/ID into the science curriculum is.