Only 1 in 5 Americans believe in pure evolution

Started by josephpalazzo, July 23, 2013, 11:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

– and that's an upswing.

On another issue: Double that number want creationism or intelligent design taught in public schools.

Read and weep: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/07/23 ... thout_god/

Youssuf Ramadan

It always seems weird to me how the USA seems so very much like the middle eastern theocracies they so despise in some ways....  :-s

GSOgymrat

I find the need to use the phrase "pure evolution" distressing.

Solitary

Would the people that favor Creationism be taught in a science class, favor evolution being taught in a religious class? I think not.  :roll:  To claim Creationism is science is ludicrous, as would teaching evolution in a religious class.  :roll:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Hydra009

Quote from: "GSOgymrat"I find the need to use the phrase "pure evolution" distressing.
Same here.  Imagine "pure gravity" or "pure plate tectonics".

It's crazy that the subject is so rife with Goddidit that such terms are necessary.

Hydra009

Quote from: "Youssuf Ramadan"It always seems weird to me how the USA seems so very much like the middle eastern theocracies they so despise in some ways....  :-s
Yeah.  And we despise their fundamentalism but largely turn a blind eye to (or support) our own.  It's like an exterminator who's own house is teeming with roaches.  *shudders*

ApostateLois

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "GSOgymrat"I find the need to use the phrase "pure evolution" distressing.
Same here.  Imagine "pure gravity" or "pure plate tectonics".

It's crazy that the subject is so rife with Goddidit that such terms are necessary.

Well, I guess some people think it's possible that God holds things down with magic so they won't go flying off into space; and he also pushes the continents about really, really slowly because it amuses him when he's bored. :lol:
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Hydra009

Quote from: "ApostateLois"Well, I guess some people think it's possible that God holds things down with magic so they won't go flying off into space; and he also pushes the continents about really, really slowly because it amuses him when he's bored. :lol:
:lol:  Now all we have to do is get enough people to subscribe to those ideas and try to teach the controversy about it in schools and ruthlessly demonize scientists for teaching "atheistic" gravity.

Colanth

Quote from: "Youssuf Ramadan"It always seems weird to me how the USA seems so very much like the middle eastern theocracies they so despise in some ways....  :-s
A secular society would see militant Islam as dangerous and silly.  A theocracy, whether de jure or de facto (especially one that's still fighting to establish itself) sees it as dangerous competition.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

FrankDK

I suspect the OP means evolution by natural selection, with no supernatural interference.

Frank

Jutter

Goddidit!
How else do you expect US citizens to explain something as bananas as the USA?
(Working on my new forgiving sunnier disposition)
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

Triple Nine

This crap has been around for over a century and people STILL can't accept. No wonder racism is still alive and well, if people can't accept something as basic to biology as evolution.
Playing: Skullgirls
On hold: Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS)
Pokemon X & Y (3DS)
Whenever I get my GODDAMNED 3DS back  \":evil:\"
Religion, Nationalism, and Racism is all under the evil wing of Conservatism and preservation of useless traditions!

Jutter

No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

Eric1958

Hey, at least it's up 8 percentage points in 8 years. I'm betting that those same folks that made those numbers go up are also responsible for a similar rise in the upswing in people in favor of same sex marriage.

And a quick "right on Buddhists" for falling in with the atheists.

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: "FrankDK"

I suspect the OP means evolution by natural selection, with no supernatural interference.

Frank

So even Theistic Evolution is out?  That's actually an extreme view.  TE isn't ID after all.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!