News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

In the need of sane people to converse with...

Started by chem2702, July 14, 2013, 10:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chem2702

Hello, my is Chem (pronounced Shem) and I live in Australia.

I have come to this site because I guess I feel some kind of need to converse with, what I view as, rational people. Luckily for me, none of my family or close friends are very religious, but at the same time, they don't quite have the strict scientific views that I have. They all have at least one thing they "believe in" or are not "sure about", e.g. karma, ghosts, afterlife, etc. I am yet to meet someone like myself, i.e. someone who does not believe in ANYTHING that is not scientific. I believe everything can be explained with science, and if I don't understand something, well, that's what it is: something I don't understand. Things that can't be explained by science yet have not, well, been explained by science YET. I understand why people would WANT to believe in things like an afterlife, and someone "watching over us", etc, but I am not going to just kid myself to make myself feel better. I like facts, truth and rational thinking.

Anyway, I don't want to ramble on too much in my introduction. I have been to religious forums, but I felt overwhelmed by the amount of delusional people there. I wouldn't know were to start. And after all, if you drill a religious person enough, eventually they fall back on "prove that god doesn't exist", which is as inadequate as me telling everyone that the "universe" is actually inside the eyeball of a monstrous creature called a "goofiltenpoot", and then putting the burden on the rest of humanity to prove me wrong.

Cheers.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "chem2702"I have come to this site because I guess I feel some kind of need to converse with, what I view as, rational people.
Turn around while you still have some sanity left.

I kid. Welcome.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

chem2702

Haha, yeah well I guess I should not assume that all people on this site are sane, or even that all atheists are sane. But not believing in god is definitely a start...

Hydra009

A???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????I?????????????????S????????????????? ????????????????????????????C?????????????????????????????????????H?????????????????????????????????????A???????????????????????????????????O?????????????????????????????S???????????????????????????

F????????????????????????????L??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????E?????????????????????

Solitary

QuoteIn the need of sane people to converse with...
Good luck with that one.

Welcome aboard mate! I myself am crazy from all the Christian superstitious nonsense. However, you will find others here that appear to be insane but are merely stupid.  =D>
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Solitary

Quote from: "Hydra009"A???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????I?????????????????S????????????????? ????????????????????????????C?????????????????????????????????????H?????????????????????????????????????A???????????????????????????????????O?????????????????????????????S???????????????????????????

F????????????????????????????L??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????E?????????????????????

:rollin:   =D> Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

hrdlr110

Quote from: "chem2702"Hello, my is Chem (pronounced Shem) and I live in Australia.

Welcome! I'm in oz, near Sydney. You?
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

chem2702

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

hrdlr110, I am near Sydney too. I'm currently in Newcastle.

Shiranu

Well, someone already beat me to the "wrong place" statement, so I'll just say hi and leave it at that :P.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

baddarryl

Quote from: "chem2702"Thanks for the welcome, guys.

hrdlr110, I am near Sydney too. I'm currently in Newcastle.

Eye mate, I love Newy! Have a friend in Merewether that I visited for a month or so back in 94! Loved that place!