New Computer, What ever happened to copying dvd's???

Started by JI_Joe, July 03, 2013, 08:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JI_Joe

What happened to the ability to copy a dvd or bassically a movie off on to my laptop hard drive?  I can do it with CD's but can do nothing with DVD's.  I don't want this UV "Cloud" thing. I want some thing I can take with me on the lap top hard drive so I can watch movies while on the move.  
   Any one know any thing that can do this??

stromboli

wolf39us

uhm... CloneCD.  Windows XP burner -- there's a few

JI_Joe

Also a little background,  I had a dell laptop a few years before "they" started this multi core stuff (I don't know crap about processors now #-o ) any how it some how decided to spin up my hard drive fast enough to break it. Its gone. It said it can't find a hard drive even though I am shure I had one in there :rollin:  
   So I went lookin at computers and every thing is so much more expensive than desktops. I decided a desktop would be right up my alley but the money was better used to save for other things.  Any how dismayed I was telling my mom one day about it and how I didn't think I should buy a new computer for a while and come to find out she went and bought her self a brand new dell desk top that she was really happy about but did not use her old laptop and she went ahead and said I could have it.  
   Its very new and has this Intel core i3 processor in it. Why don't they tell us how fast the processors are any more?  how do I find out how fast this thing is? I can't tell if it is a run of the mill regular laptop or gaming laptop or some thing in between.  How are we suppose to tell now a days?? :-k

wolf39us

NeoLogic26

Quote from: "JI_Joe"Also a little background,  I had a dell laptop a few years before "they" started this multi core stuff (I don't know crap about processors now #-o ) any how it some how decided to spin up my hard drive fast enough to break it. Its gone. It said it can't find a hard drive even though I am shure I had one in there :rollin:  
   So I went lookin at computers and every thing is so much more expensive than desktops. I decided a desktop would be right up my alley but the money was better used to save for other things.  Any how dismayed I was telling my mom one day about it and how I didn't think I should buy a new computer for a while and come to find out she went and bought her self a brand new dell desk top that she was really happy about but did not use her old laptop and she went ahead and said I could have it.  
   Its very new and has this Intel core i3 processor in it. Why don't they tell us how fast the processors are any more?  how do I find out how fast this thing is? I can't tell if it is a run of the mill regular laptop or gaming laptop or some thing in between.  How are we suppose to tell now a days?? :-k
If you go into the start menu and find the control panel, there's an option called "system info" or something like that. It should tell you how fast your processor is clocked as well as the amount of memory installed, etc. If it's a gaming laptop (which if it's a hand-me-down from your mother it probably isn't) there should be a discrete graphics card which would show up along with processor and memory in the system info.

Edit: I figure I should explain since you might not be aware, a discrete graphics card (unlike integrated graphics) is a separate piece of hardware dedicated to processing video output from games, video editing software, etc. Integrated graphics is "integrated" into the processor and is less powerful than a dedicated card.
"For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

wolf39us

Integrated graphics is a joke.  Only meant for the casual computer user...  Gaming is severely limited.  But you'll find out :-)

JI_Joe

Quote from: "wolf39us"uhm... CloneCD.  Windows XP burner -- there's a few
Are these available for free at all? like on Cnet or some thing? :-k   thanks in advance  :-D

JI_Joe

Quote from: "wolf39us"Integrated graphics is a joke.  Only meant for the casual computer user...  Gaming is severely limited.  But you'll find out :-)

Thanks guys but I know the difference between integrated grafics and a dedicated card with its own dedicated memory and its own dedicated processor. :-D

PopeyesPappy

I'm getting a laptop for work. It's a Lenova ThinkPad W530 with an i7-3840QM Processor, NVIDIA Quadro K2000M (DDR3 2GB VRAM) 500GB SSD, 16GB DDR3 Memory and Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. The laptop hasn't shipped yet, but I got the software today. Office, Project and Visio 2013 plus a copy of the brand spanking new full blown version of Autodesk AutoCAD 2014.

Oh and Adobe Acrobat XI Pro.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Hydra009

Quote from: "JI_Joe"Also a little background, I had a dell laptop a few years before "they" started this multi core stuff (I don't know crap about processors now #-o ) any how it some how decided to spin up my hard drive fast enough to break it. Its gone. It said it can't find a hard drive even though I am shure I had one in there :rollin:

Sounds like you accidentally the whole thing.  Never accidentally the whole thing.

QuoteSo I went lookin at computers and every thing is so much more expensive than desktops. I decided a desktop would be right up my alley but the money was better used to save for other things.
It's not too bad if you shop around, buy only what you need, and/or put it together yourself.  If you're only going to surf the net and watch DVDs, you're looking a much less expensive computer than a high-end gaming rig.

QuoteWhy don't they tell us how fast the processors are any more?  how do I find out how fast this thing is? I can't tell if it is a run of the mill regular laptop or gaming laptop or some thing in between.  How are we suppose to tell now a days?? :-k
:Hangman:

[youtube:2u3aqaqh]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHBGcaVjVuU[/youtube:2u3aqaqh]

Hydra009

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"I'm getting a laptop for work. It's a Lenova ThinkPad W530 with an i7-3840QM Processor, NVIDIA Quadro K2000M (DDR3 2GB VRAM) 500GB SSD, 16GB DDR3 Memory and Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. The laptop hasn't shipped yet, but I got the software today. Office, Project and Visio 2013 plus a copy of the brand spanking new full blown version of Autodesk AutoCAD 2014.

Oh and Adobe Acrobat XI Pro.
*drools*

Very nice.

PopeyesPappy

I told my customer I'd model the ironwork that supports the utilities in the shops we are building for their BIM model if he would pay for the software. We got the plus up last Thursday. I cut the PR for the laptop and software on Friday...
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

DunkleSeele

Quote from: "JI_Joe"What happened to the ability to copy a dvd or bassically a movie off on to my laptop hard drive?  I can do it with CD's but can do nothing with DVD's.  I don't want this UV "Cloud" thing. I want some thing I can take with me on the lap top hard drive so I can watch movies while on the move.  
   Any one know any thing that can do this??
Which program did you use on your old computer to copy DVDs? Install it on the new laptop and that's it.

Colanth

I can't figure out whether you want to copy DVDs or watch them.

To copy protected DVDs I use DVD Fab.  It's not free, but it's cheap and does the job well.

To copy unprotected DVDs I use AShampoo.  The free version copies any unprotected disk.

To watch them I use VLC.  It's free and plays just about everything.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.